Connected on a badger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
    You know I just realized something different about your badger. I've shot over 100 badgers and to the best of my memory I can't say I've ever shot one with a white stripe from the middle of its head all the way to its tail like that one has. Normally it stops right between their shoulder blades.

I could be wrong but I really don't remember ever seeing one like that. It might be more common than I think.

I didn’t realize this till I read your post. I googled badger pics and you’re right- most just have the stripe on the head and neck. I’m not sure if there’s a different variety down here, or if I just got a unique one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice.
      Have one at the taxi i shot with my bow. Stinking little bastages though and the only thing I have seen that will run a boar hog off a feeder!

Comment

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
        I didn’t realize this till I read your post. I googled badger pics and you’re right- most just have the stripe on the head and neck. I’m not sure if there’s a different variety down here, or if I just got a unique one.

They're the same variety I think that stripe is just a little more distinguished in that area maybe. Either that or you did get a really unique badger. It's crazy but I know the further South you go from here the coyotes look different. Not just that but the jackrabbits,deer and even the rattlesnakes. Maybe that's how it is with the badgers too. I really don't know.

Comment

Congrats! That will make a beautiful mount.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
            Nice.
            Have one at the taxi i shot with my bow. Stinking little bastages though and the only thing I have seen that will run a boar hog off a feeder!

Surprisingly, this one doesn’t stink at all. I know I’ve heard that they all do, but this one for some reason doesn’t. It’s a female. Maybe just the males stink?? I have no clue [emoji2371]

Comment

I've shot some that do stink and some that don't. Most of the time if they stink they smell like a skunk. I think maybe they fight with skunks sometimes. Not all of them smell that way.

I found a big bullsnake that was dead yesterday and threw it next to a badger hole that looked fresh. It wasn't there this evening so I guess there's one in there. I shot some prairie dogs and threw them out next to a hole last year after furbearer season started. Every once in a while I'd do that. Went up there to throw a few out one evening and it stuck its head up out of the hole. Smoked him in the gourd with the .223. I still have that one in the freezer. Fur buyers won't buy them if you shoot them in the head.
              Last edited by okrattler; 11-17-2019, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Very cool

Comment

Congrats

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats! In almost 40 years of hunting in Texas I have only seen one close up on two occasions.

Comment

They are mustelids, have a nice scent gland to avoid when skinning.

Comment

I never even knew they were around and saw one while driving senderos a couple weeks ago. Popped up and was gone in seconds. Duval Co as well.

Congrats on checking that one off the list.

Comment

cool congrats

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                            I never even knew they were around and saw one while driving senderos a couple weeks ago. Popped up and was gone in seconds. Duval Co as well.

Congrats on checking that one off the list.

We knew they were around every time we’d hit one of their holes while driving down the sendero. It feels like a wheel fell off! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by RobinHood View Post
                              We knew they were around every time we’d hit one of their holes while driving down the sendero. It feels like a wheel fell off! Lol

I'm all too familiar with that Just assumed they were from hogs. I may have more than I realize.

Comment

Working...
                              X