Best Bay fishing closest to Austin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Bay fishing closest to Austin

Hey fellas, looking to try and make some quick trips. Have only ever fished LLM and Sabine. Been looking at rockport, seadrift, copano bay, Aransas pass.

I'm not familiar with any, mostly like to catch specks, reds a bonus. I have a 17.5ft aluminum Cajun special that will run pretty shallow.

Any advice on where to go? I know some of these areas I've been told are very hard to navigate.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Any of the places you mentioned would be fine....

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
      Any of the places you mentioned would be fine....
      Is there any advantage to any of them? Less chop, less hidden prop destroyers?

Comment

I went to matagorda few times last year it was pretty awesome place

Comment

The Rockport/Aransas Pass area can keep you sheltered from the chop in some areas (estes flats, california hole, quarantine, etc.) Once you get out into Aransas Bay, it get's pretty rough. Not as many rocks/reefs to worry about either.

Comment

I used to put in at Charlies Bait Camp in between Port O'Connor and Seadrift. There is great fishing real close to the launch there.

Comment

Originally posted by chancito1 View Post
              I went to matagorda few times last year it was pretty awesome place
              x2 on Matty.

Comment

Best is Baffin. No doubt.

Comment

I live in austin too and you can reach a huge chunk of the coast in 3+ hours but from what I've found, the closest salt I can get to is pretty close to three hours. Ill be down in POC the weekend after 4th of July.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                    I used to put in at Charlies Bait Camp in between Port O'Connor and Seadrift. There is great fishing real close to the launch there.

x2

Comment

Port O'Connor

Comment

Poc is your closest. We live in temple and spend half the summer weekends down there. I haven't got into bay fishing yet mainly blue water and spear fishing. With the weather like it's been I better learn to fish the bays.

Comment

Comment

Seadrift is your closest with good reefs. Take it slow your first trip or two and Panther reef is easy to reach out of there. Also Espirito is easy from there or just trailer 5 more miles and put in at Charlies.

Comment

Charlie's sounds like a cool spot. I'll do some internet scouting! Thanks guys. Hoping to jet down soon!

Comment

Working...
                              X