No announcement yet.

Garner State Park Axis Deer Hunting??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats! How many standby spots were there and how many showed up for them?

Comment

Sorry about the buck. Congrats on the doe this morning!

Comment

Congrats on the doe, Was the staff gonna go look again this morning? Those axis are tough as nails.

Comment

No and your not allowed to look by yourself, looking back I should have shot him in the shoulders but I didn't. I haven't lost a deer since I was 11 so I feel like a real jack *****. These things do seem more reluctant to die then whitetail.

Comment

Yesterday there were approximately 8-10 deer brought in all does or fawns

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzy100 View Post
              No and your not allowed to look by yourself, looking back I should have shot him in the shoulders but I didn't. I haven't lost a deer since I was 11 so I feel like a real jack *****. These things do seem more reluctant to die then whitetail.

That seems wasteful that they won't look the next morning. I understand not wanting a bunch of people trekking through the woods but they should at least give a second look in the daylight. Ya I shoot them in the shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by Texantax View Post
                Congrats! How many standby spots were there and how many showed up for them?
                Five standbys openings about 15-20 waited

Comment

Originally posted by daved270 View Post
                  Well me and my son got back from hunting Garner. We had a great time! We stayed in the park in a screened in shelter. It had a picnic table and fire ring at every campsite. (bring firewood if you want a fire) They have a bathroom and shower facility in between all the campsites. It is different from any of the hunts we have been on. The park staff do load you up in trucks and take you to your assigned blind ( which are popup blinds so bring some shooting sticks and a different chair if you want). They have put out corn feeders at every blind this year which is the first time for this. Bring some alfalfa hay to keep the Axis around a little longer because they clean out the feeders quick. This was a Whitetail and Axis hunt but really wanted you just to shoot the Axis because the Whitetail numbers are low.( I'm guessing do to the Axis running them out). We only saw four Whitetail the whole time we were there. My son ended up taking 5 axis on the hunt 4 doe and 1 spike. That being said he could have shot many more if we had freezer space! All in all it was a successful hunt with a lot of memories that me and my son will never forget! If anyone has any questions just ask me and i will try and answer them.
                  Wow!! Congrats!!!

Comment

I just shot a spike he is down

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Any pics? And congrats

Comment

congrats!!

Comment

Pics!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iansumrall View Post
                              Pics!!!
                              X2.

Comment

Those state park "hunts" aren't set up for the experience, they're for thinning the numbers.

Comment

Working...
                                X