Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Puerto Rican "Arroz con pollo" (rice with chicken)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puerto Rican "Arroz con pollo" (rice with chicken)

This is my Mom's recipe. She wrote it down for me before she passed away several years ago, bless her soul.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup olive oil, 1 lb. boneless chicken thighs or 1 lb. chicken tenders, 1 chopped onion, 1/2 chopped green pepper, 1 clove garlic minced, 2 TBS chopped cilantro, 1/2 envelope of "Sazon Goya con culantro" (get at Fiesta or Carnival supermarkets), salt & pepper to taste, 1 envelope chicken broth, 1/3 cup tomato sauce - 1 tsp capers - 1 TBS spanish olive, 2 cups of rice, 3 cups of water (some folk add a small can of sweet peas, which also makes it taste good).

Instructions:

Cut chicken pieces and brown in olive oil. Remove chicken from pot and set aside. To the pot, add onions, green pepper, garlic and Sazon Goya. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomato sauce, olives and capers, cilantro and chicken broth. Add chicken and mix. Add rice and water and boil on high uncovered until the water evaporates. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

My Mom's "arroz con pollo" would always be the first thing finished whenever she'd bring a big platter of it to our school functions back in the day. Hopefully y'all's will turn out as good and yummy as hers did.

Sounds really good..

Comment

Will have to try this....Sounds like a winner!

Comment

Looks really good! I like the addition of capers! I keep Goya Sazon stocked up!

Thanks!

Comment

Sounds awesome. Is it dinner time yet?

Comment

Sounds good.....my wife makes an awesome Arroz con pollo that sounds very similar.

Comment

Add rice and water and boil on high uncovered until the water evaporates. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
              This part confuses me. If I boil out all the water how can it simmer?

Comment

whats that , did i here the dinner triangle ringing!

Comment

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
                  This part confuses me. If I boil out all the water how can it simmer?
                  Good question! I've yet to try the recipe myself. Need to call the family and ask them about that.

Comment

Ok, when you boil the rice in water, keep it boiling on high uncovered until it looks like all the water has evaporated. The top of the rice should still be moist and there should still be some water on the bottom, you just can't see it from the top. At that time, cover the rice and let it simmer on low for about half an hour.

Comment

I tried this last night. Its really good. I used a whole packet of the sazon and the chicken broth. My rice got a litte burned, so I think 15 minutes or so, on the last step would be fine. I served it with some black beans with coconut milk. MMM-MMM. Great recipe, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                      X