Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #1
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County
Default AR-15 accuracy issue...

if there is one gun that is driving me crazy with accuracy issues, it's my AR. I have a Bushmaster M-4 chambered in 5.56/.223 with a 16" bbl. I purchased the weapon when I retired from DPS. It wears a Leupold VX2 3-9X40 with a dot reticle and a Gen Tec suppressor. For the life of me I have not been able to get this gun to group well with any ammunition I try. From factory to hand loads, I'm lucky to get a 3" group at 100 yards with it.

I've been shooting the 64 gr. Winchester Ranger LE ammo and it has killed a bunch of axis and pigs at ranges of less than 100 yards to 186 yards, but I would like to see at least 1-1.5 inch groups. Just recently I purchased some 64 gr. Gold Dot LE ammo and 55 gr. Gold Dot LE ammo. The 64 gr looked like a shotgun pattern on target. The 55 gr. was a little better, but not much. The 55 gr. shot well in my CZ 527 with a 1:12 twist.

I haven't tried any bullet weight greater than 64 gr. and nothing lighter than 55 gr. but I thought the 1:9 twist would stabilize either one just fine and I think it has because I haven't seen any key-holing.

Any suggestions on what to check to see if I can get a little more accurate. Scope mounting is dead set, the trigger is stock, etc.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top