Plumbing Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plumbing Question...

So I have another thread going for some plumbing work, but I have a question I'm sure some of you will KNOW the answer to.

Here's the deal: We have a small camphouse about 150' from the water well and well house. It is slightly uphill from camp. There is a pressure tank in the well house that supplies our house and a line to the owner's house (he just uses this water for his yard). We have VERY inconsistent water at camp. VERY INCONSISTENT. Our plan is to go from the current pressure tank into a 1500 gallon storage tank. That is the easy part. From there is what is fuzzy to me. I plan on getting another pressure tank between the storage tank and house. But, do we need to pump from the storage tank into the new pressure tank, or can the pressure tank be gravity fed from the storage tank? I know just enough about all of this to be dangerous.

I have a similar setup. I have a pressure tank at the well and a larger storage tank that I use for holding water. After the water leaves the storage tank I have a constant pressure pump that cycles up and down to adjust the water to a preset pressure. One I just saw that looks promising although I have never used it, my well guy recommends it. It is a Grundfos Scala3. IIRC, it could be had for around 600 bucks. A little pricy but looks easy to plumb and constant pressure is nice. IME gravity flow wont get you what you are after unless you have at least 60-80 feet of elevation drop from your storage tanks to your house.

Comment

Our set up consists of a 275 gallon tote. Water is trucked in and pumped into it so kinda similar

We have a 3/4hp pump with a contactor or something that senses low pressure and kicks on. It pumps water to a pressure tank which feeds our water. All is hooked up with lined hose and clamps so it can be broke down for freeze

We have AWESOME water pressure and less than 250 bucks in whole enchilada

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Quackerbox; 08-20-2018, 05:27 PM.

Comment

My water well has a 3000 gallon storage tank. I have a 1/2 or 3/4 HP goulds pump from the storage tank to the pressure tank. And pressure tank sends water to the house.

I would think that pressure tank you already have would send all the water you need 150ft. Especially it ought to have 50 to 60 lbs of pressure. Maybe a bad bladder?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Your pressure tank can be gravity fed into a pressure pump with pressure switch on to inlet side of your pressure tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            Your pressure tank can be gravity fed into a pressure pump with pressure switch on to inlet side of your pressure tank.
            This. Put a backflo valve in the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
              My water well has a 3000 gallon storage tank. I have a 1/2 or 3/4 HP goulds pump from the storage tank to the pressure tank. And pressure tank sends water to the house.

I would think that pressure tank you already have would send all the water you need 150ft. Especially it ought to have 50 to 60 lbs of pressure. Maybe a bad bladder?

The current pressure tank will be used to fill up the new storage tank. Then I need a new pressure tank between the storage tank and house. Our issue is water quantity. We can rely on a 1500 gallon tank to have enough water when we need it. So far, we can't rely on the well to have it when we need it. If the supply was there, you would be correct.

Comment

Are you saying I need to install the storage tank, then have a pressure tank coming off that, and then running into a pressure pump? Then going to the house? Like this:

Well--->Storage--->Pressure tank--->Pressure pump--->house?

Right now this is what we have:

Well--->Pressure tank--->House

This is what I'm thinking:

Well--->Current pressure tank--->storage tank--->pressure tank---> house

OR:

Well--->current pressure tank--->storage tank--->Pump--->new pressure tank--->house

We need the storage tank because the well can't keep up with everything (or so I'm told).
                Last edited by Chance Love; 08-20-2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                  The current pressure tank will be used to fill up the new storage tank. Then I need a new pressure tank between the storage tank and house. Our issue is water quantity. We can rely on a 1500 gallon tank to have enough water when we need it. So far, we can't rely on the well to have it when we need it. If the supply was there, you would be correct.
                  Ahh. I got ya. Same problem I have. Well is maybe 2 to 3 gpm is why I added storage tank.

Comment

Option right under "OR"

Comment

Pump the water from the current well to your storage tank. From there you can get a combo pump and pressure tank at Tractor Supply. It's not a big pressure tank but will work good for most camp uses. It will cycle a lot but puts out enough pressure and water. Put a back flow valve in between the pump and your storage tank. You will probably have to prime the pump the get the flow started from the storage tank. The back flow valve helps to keep the pump primed from then on.

This is probably all you need. Here is an example:

Last edited by M16; 08-20-2018, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Option right under "OR"
                        Originally posted by M16 View Post
                        Pump the water from the current well to your storage tank. From there you can get a combo pump and pressure tank at Tractor Supply. It's not a big pressure tank but will work good for most camp uses. It will cycle a lot but puts out enough pressure and water. Put a back flow valve in between the pump and your storage tank. You will probably have to prime the pump the get the flow started from the storage tank. The back flow valve helps to keep the pump primed from then on.
                        Alright, y'all are making sense to me now. Thanks.

Comment

Here's something that might even work better. If you have gutters on your camp house plumb them to your storage tank. Or if you have to put some up it won't take much. 30 or 40' will catch a bunch of water. We have a system like this and never run out of water.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                            Here's something that might even work better. If you have gutters on your camp house plumb them to your storage tank. Or if you have to put some up it won't take much. 30 or 40' will catch a bunch of water. We have a system like this and never run out of water.
                            That's a good idea but won't work for us. No gutters and the house is too far from where the storage tank (which will be uphill from the house) needs to go.

Comment

Our camp house is fed by a windmill that’s about 2 miles away (still haven’t figured out how that one works). We have about 2000 gallons of storage that gravity feeds to a pump and small bladder tank located under the kitchen sink. Setup works great, but I do think a bigger bladder tank would keep the pump from cycling so much.
                              I think your initial thought is dead on the right track.
                              Existing setup to holding tank, pump with second pressure tank, house.

Comment

Working...
                              X