Best starter Gun for 6yr old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best starter Gun for 6yr old?

My twin boys are turning 6 in a couple of weeks. I've been teaching them how to handle a gun and shoot with their sister's .22 Cricket. I'd like to get them something this year for turkey, deer, and maybe hogs. I grew up starting with a 410 single shot and quickly moved to a 20 gauge single shot to kill my first deer at age 6.

What are most getting these days that'll last them a few years till ready to move up? I'm debating on one shotgun and one rifle and letting them share. Or just getting them both a shotgun for now. Opinions? Thanks

How bout a 410 and a 223 or 22-250 bolt action

Comment

My son is 8 and I got him a savage axis youth in .223 for Christmas. It's still a bit big for him to free hand hold and shoot, but he is ok with a rest and handles the recoil well. It also comes with a coupon for 50% off an adult stock, so it will grow with him, if nothing else gives him a functional gun for his safe even if he chooses a larger caliber as he gets older

Comment

Here ya go. Kill two birds with one stone.

Comment

Consider a 17HMR....
          No recoil.. And will killa pig stone cold...

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
            Consider a 17HMR....
            No recoil.. And will killa pig stone cold...
            While I agree the 17HMR will take down a hog it will require pretty good shot placement which could pose a problem for inexperienced young shooters. That isn't a very big pill you're throwing at em.

Not that many on this site would have a problem with wounded pigs....I believe the round should be limited to close range varmints or yotes IMO.

Comment

Comment

6.5 grendel in a howa mini or CZ 527 action. Very low recoil, small/light package, and will kill deer and hogs just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                  While I agree the 17HMR will take down a hog it will require pretty good shot placement which could pose a problem for inexperienced young shooters. That isn't a very big pill you're throwing at em.

Not that many on this site would have a problem with wounded pigs....I believe the round should be limited to close range varmints or yotes IMO.
                  I agree.. Shot placement is the key... It always is..No matter the caliber..
                  But.. Practice, and they'll get the experience...
                  It was just a suggestion...
                  Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post

Had this same debate with myself when we got my son his .223. 17HMR is fun to shoot, but expensive. But it's too hot for squirrel and rabbit, to leave much edible and you will have to buy a centerfire later on for actual game animals like deer.

Comment

AR-15. With a collapsible stock and low recoil anyone can shoot one. And with the right ammo in it you can kill any of that stuff.

Comment

X2 on a .243

Comment

.243 that fits the shoulder and you will never look back. My son shot my 22-250 and it didn't fit him well at all and had a little scope kiss to remember it by

Comment

300 black out

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                              Here ya go. Kill two birds with one stone.
                              http://www.cabelas.com/product/Savag...un/2286476.uts

This is what I would do. With a .22 magnum round it is going to pack a little more punch than the Cricket would without any extra recoil. Yet, at the same time it would give them a .410 shotgun. This is a firearm that they could use for years to come without jumping right into something like a .243 that might be too much recoil for them. Plus, it slowly teaches them more about shot placement and they could shoot the .22 magnum rounds all day without making their shoulder sore. You just can't say the same thing about the .243 even with low recoil rounds. Remember, we are talking about a couple of 6 year olds here. Baby steps, not giant leaps.

Comment

Working...
                              X