No announcement yet.

Tbot arrow rest re-clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bud Murphy sporting his new custom T-shirt at the Denton County Turkey Shoot today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s new T-shirt (800x600) (640x480).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	23982356

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtechlady View Post
      Deb

It will put more work but could well be worth it in the end. There is no doubt a new direction that the bows are headed in with carbon inserts, arrow rests, sites, and adjustable limbs and tillers. There will always be the "bare bows", which is where I will remain but there is a whole other genre of Olympic/JOAD/NFAA/and TFAA shooters that could help with the membership issue with TBoT.

I have attended a NFAA shoot and was floored when a shooter in our group told me this was a recurve...

If TBoT is hurting for membership, there is a whole other genre of shooters that TBoT could recruit to help their membership grow and to embrace the new generation of recurve shooters. The time is now for TBoT to create a modern class and let them shoot and rig out their bows to their hearts content. They will compete against one another and the rest will shoot where we have always shot...bare bow. TBoT will benefit, the increase in membership will increase, and the shoots will only get larger and greater. Keep the bare bow class though...that's where I belong

I look forward to participating in this discussion at vanderpool. This is just my opinion but we need to think outside the box on this and grow as the technology grows...It's a win, win...
      That one needs a really big smilie face... these ain't enough...

Comment

Originally posted by fletcherfor2 View Post
        Bud Murphy sporting his new custom T-shirt at the Denton County Turkey Shoot today.

[ATTACH]227544[/ATTACH]
        Hey I like that, where did he get it???

Comment

Originally posted by TradAg02 View Post
          Bud,

Following is a picture of the rest on my recurve. It is a hoyt stick on rest that I have covered in moleskin. I know that Josh (4feathers) shoot s the same setup, as I am sure others do. I bring this up so that it may assist you in clarifying the rules.

I have always shot tournaments with my hunting setup. When it is time to hunt I just unscrew my field tips and screw in my broadheads. With this bow I never had an issue getting field tips to fly, however I had trouble with my broadheads. I put the rest on and now both my fieldtips and broadheads fly great. So in my case the “elevated/mechanical” rest made me a more efficient hunter.

Yall need to make the rules that are in the best interest of the club as a whole, not based on the squeaky wheels. If yall decide that off the shelf is the way to go, then so be it. As with Sha I just request that whatever is decided is clear and is either enforced across the board, or not at all.
          Chris -- Are you still shooting the same Sweptwing?

Comment

I have attended a NFAA shoot and was floored when a shooter in our group told me this was a recurve...
            Recurve LIMB designFar from a Recurve bow

Dusty, that's funny right there!

Comment

Deb

It will put more work but could well be worth it in the end. There is no doubt a new direction that the bows are headed in with carbon inserts, arrow rests, sites, and adjustable limbs and tillers. There will always be the "bare bows", which is where I will remain but there is a whole other genre of Olympic/JOAD/NFAA/and TFAA shooters that could help with the membership issue with TBoT.

If TBoT is hurting for membership, there is a whole other genre of shooters that TBoT could recruit to help their membership grow and to embrace the new generation of recurve shooters. The time is now for TBoT to create a modern class and let them shoot and rig out their bows to their hearts content. They will compete against one another and the rest will shoot where we have always shot...bare bow. TBoT will benefit, the increase in membership will increase, and the shoots will only get larger and greater. Keep the bare bow class though...that's where I belong

I look forward to participating in this discussion at vanderpool. This is just my opinion but we need to think outside the box on this and grow as the technology grows...It's a win, win...
              when i clicked on the link it showed a compound.
              as for some of the new things in trad gear.
              go back and look at some of the Olympic shooters in the 70's and up to today...weighted risers, stabilizers, wrist straps. sites, glass arrows, not new as a matter or fact, i was shooting glass arrows in the 60's.. and still have some.

Comment

Originally posted by TradAg02 View Post
                Bud,

Following is a picture of the rest on my recurve. It is a hoyt stick on rest that I have covered in moleskin. I know that Josh (4feathers) shoot s the same setup, as I am sure others do. I bring this up so that it may assist you in clarifying the rules.

I have always shot tournaments with my hunting setup. When it is time to hunt I just unscrew my field tips and screw in my broadheads. With this bow I never had an issue getting field tips to fly, however I had trouble with my broadheads. I put the rest on and now both my fieldtips and broadheads fly great. So in my case the “elevated/mechanical” rest made me a more efficient hunter.

Yall need to make the rules that are in the best interest of the club as a whole, not based on the squeaky wheels. If yall decide that off the shelf is the way to go, then so be it. As with Sha I just request that whatever is decided is clear and is either enforced across the board, or not at all.
                Chris, I ripped off 5 of these same set ups today!
                Last edited by ShaBow; 03-19-2011, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JEFFRO View Post
                  go back and look at some of the Olympic shooters in the 70's and up to today...weighted risers, stabilizers, wrist straps. sites, glass arrows, not new as a matter or fact, i was shooting glass arrows in the 60's.. and still have some.
                  Jeffro

I actually insulted the shooter by accident when I asked him what kind of compound that was He quickly corrected me and told me that it was a recurve Under the rules of NFAA and apparently TFAA, it is a recurve.

I don't agree with it but I don't make the rules either. Yes, the olympic shooters have been around a while but now there is a younger generation wanting to push the limits not to mention all the collegiate shooters as well.

They have really big turn outs at the NFAA and TFAA. It's a group of archery shooters with their recurves and I just think in this day if you are going to change the rules for the arrow rest then go ahead and create a modern or a "non bare bow" class, embrace it, and move forward or otherwise keep the rules as they are, enforce them, and we will all be one happy family

Comment

Jeffro

I actually insulted the shooter by accident when I asked him what kind of compound that was He quickly corrected me and told me that it was a recurve Under the rules of NFAA and apparently TFAA, it is a recurve.

I don't agree with it but I don't make the rules either. Yes, the olympic shooters have been around a while but now there is a younger generation wanting to push the limits not to mention all the collegiate shooters as well.

They have really big turn outs at the NFAA and TFAA. It's a group of archery shooters with their recurves and I just think in this day if you are going to change the rules for the arrow rest then go ahead and create a modern or a "non bare bow" class, embrace it, and move forward or otherwise keep the rules as they are, enforce them, and we will all be one happy family
                    If it has wheels it is a compound in NFAA and TFAA which is just the Texas NFAA chapter... Been shooting in it for a bunch of years... That Martin/Barney is a compound, the shooter was pulling your leg.. Now if he/she had no sight, and was shooting fingers it would be a Barebow.. by NFAA/TFAA rules.. but Barebow and recurve or traditional are three different equipment classes; here is a link to the equipment/Style rules for NFAA/TFAA http://www.nfaa-archery.org/field/styles.cfm
                    Last edited by Mike Javi Cooper; 03-19-2011, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Tried the glass arrows, but I never liked them one bit..

Comment

Originally posted by JAVI View Post
                        If it has wheels it is a compound in NFAA and TFAA which is just the Texas NFAA chapter... Been shooting in it for a bunch of years... That Martin/Barney is a compound, the shooter was pulling your leg.. Now if he/she had no sight, and was shooting fingers it would be a Barebow.. by NFAA/TFAA rules.. but Barebow and recurve or traditional are three different equipment classes; here is a link to the equipment/Style rules for NFAA/TFAA http://www.nfaa-archery.org/field/styles.cfm
                        Yes, he was shooting without a site, fingers, and was string walking, which is also allowed according to him.

It blew me away and from what I hear on the price of those things, whew, I can have 4 Sarrels for one of those

Comment

Yes, he was shooting without a site, fingers, and was string walking, which is also allowed according to him.

It blew me away and from what I hear on the price of those things, whew, I can have 4 Sarrels for one of those
                          Yep, string walking is allowed in Barebow... his name wasn't Monty Heishman, was it. Little short, older fellow from back east that retired to West, Texas...
                          Last edited by Mike Javi Cooper; 03-19-2011, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Jeffro

I totally agree, and my vote is for the latter. my fealing are i would not fit in at the nfaa or the other field shoot's i know thay have the class. use'a shoot field, ah before 3d targets came out,,,,, as the old indian say's. many moons ago....

Comment

I totally agree, and my vote is for the latter. my fealing are i would not fit in at the nfaa or the other field shoot's i know thay have the class. use'a shoot field, ah before 3d targets came out,,,,, as the old indian say's. many moons ago....
                              Just don't spit 'backy in the water jug...

I still like field and shoot it a bit, 'course I live 5 minutes from the oldest continously operating field course in Texas..

Comment

Not at all happy about changing my set up right here 3 weeks before Hill Country...REALLY frustrating!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X