No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been silent on this thread for awhile. I didnt think I was going this year, but we are gonna be in 81 from 9/13-9/23, 5 of us from my FD.

If anyone wants to exchange numbers to have a contact up there, shoot me a text 214 973 3082. We will have 4 wheelers and a much more comfortable camp site than I had last yr.

Comment

Originally posted by wlgorman View Post
      Been silent on this thread for awhile. I didnt think I was going this year, but we are gonna be in 81 from 9/13-9/23, 5 of us from my FD.

If anyone wants to exchange numbers to have a contact up there, shoot me a text 214 973 3082. We will have 4 wheelers and a much more comfortable camp site than I had last yr.

Good old 81. Texas Colorado they should call it lol. I’ve hunted around there along with everyone else from Texas. It’s a pretty unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by wlgorman View Post

I still haven’t decided on a unit, but 81 was on my short list. Probably going to try a Wilderness area further NW since we aren’t bringing a 4 wheeler. If we decide to head to 81 I’ll contact you.

Comment

Originally posted by dustin_mud View Post
          This will be my firts elk otc archery hunt in Colorado, can anyone tell me the "busy" weeks? I know with otc its going to be a lot of hunters but what weeks are more packed then others? I was thinking opening week and peak runt, am I off on that? Thank you to anyone that can help.
          Labor day weekend is always a zoo....and not just with hunters...there will be campers, hikers, atv riders etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
            Busiest High country will be Aug 25-Sept 1. Mule deer
            Busiest backcountry will be 15-22 elk
            Busiest trailhead/front country is sept 8-16 due to ML tag holders all

I use to be able to go 4-5 miles back and see no one, now at 8 miles it’s howdy, good luck, nice meeting you, I appreciate the compliment on my realistic bugle.

I personally like 8-16th the most
            I agree on most of this, I prefer the second week of season before muzzleloaders come in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

That was my plan, to hunt before muzzleloader. Just keep seconed guessing myself on what week to go.

Comment

I will b going up after muzzleloader. New moon is Sept 9 right during muzzy season. Hopefully more active after that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Redraider View Post
                  I will b going up after muzzleloader. New moon is Sept 9 right during muzzy season. Hopefully more active after that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
                  This is my plan also.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                    I agree on most of this, I prefer the second week of season before muzzleloaders come in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                    Week before ML is the best time to kill a stud soon to be herd bull. Imo

Bulls are just so hot and cold then.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                      Debating on bear tag.
                      Same... outfitter says it's a good year for bear. More than anything I want to keep my focus on the main goal... this will be my first elk hunt and I want all faculties and focus on that first. That said... it's just a relatively inexpensive option if I want it... then trophy fee if I connect.

Comment

Yep, I’m that guy. Breaking boots in while training on the step mill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve been getting some looks with my pack and boots at Gold’s, keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                            I’ve been getting some looks with my pack and boots at Gold’s, keep it up!
                            They will let me run my pack on the treadmill line but said stay out of the weight room with it. I'm ok with that though. Treadmills go up to 15 degree incline and that is plenty for me.

I'm gonna start adding deep squats with 60lbs in my pack.

Comment

We will be heading up to Colorado on the 31st, be living out of a pack for 7 days. Been looking forward to this for many years.

Comment

Food is packed, enough for a little over 4 days and plan is to be gone for 5. Hope we Cathay some fish or get a kill

Comment

Working...
                                X