Barbwire fences and safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barbwire fences and safety

Yesterday while huntin instead of going to the gate I decided to hop over it and did I ever regret doing that!!!! As I was climbing over a metal corner post I lost my footing and my right leg got hung up in the barbwire and put multiple puncture wounds and rips in my leg it was real bloody, the bad part is I really pulled some muscles in my leg and torqued my hip and ankle and fell kinda of hard on my back as well I will be OK just real sore but be careful everyone and learn from my experience I am 38 today and need to stop climbing fences.

I hate to hear that, if you haven't had tetanus shot in the last several years, get one soon.

Comment

I can attest to barb wire. When I was about 8 y/o fell out of a tree across a barb wire fence with my arm out. Took 37 stitches to sew it up from armpit to nipple. Could see my ribs, but the worst part was they carried me by an old Doctor's clinic and he stuffed a big wad of cotton under my armpit and tied my arm down. Took the ER staff about an hour to get all the cotton fibers out!

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Hope you heal soon. Wait until you reach 50. The pains get worst and longer to heal.

Good luck.

Doug Key

Comment

I generally lower the wires at the t-post where I cross to waste high, but understand that that is not always an option. It you are worried about the barbs I have heard of individuals slicing a piece of old water hose and wrapping it around the strands where they cross.

Comment

Sure sorry to hear about your injury, hope you heal fast.

At least your bow did accidently discharge

Get as fat as me... and you won't be tempted to jump over anything

Comment

Confused,

Aren't you talking about bobwor fences?

Philip-TX

Comment

I'm from east Texas and west Arkansas. I've got fence crossing down to a perfection.

As I said on the other site. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Comment

The fence had 5 or 5 strands of Barbwire so it is a challenge to crawl thru it. The metal corner frame kinda of resembled a ladder and I slipped off it and got my leg caught in the wire and my leg was on one side and my body went on the other side the cuts hurt but the muscle and joint pain is excruciating.

Comment

I got tired of climbing fences while carrying my bow and other hunting paraphenalia, so last year I built some simple "stiles" to put at several spots where we cross frequently. It's just an "A" shaped ladder with rungs on both sides made out of treated 2x4's that straddles the top strand. Saves time, it's safer and I don't get those rips in my britches from snagging on the barbs.
                    Last edited by jerp; 12-20-2006, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Sorry to hear that , were you hung up like a deer if so you kind of know how a deer feels. If you have enough room between staves you can cut you a stick to wedge between the wires so you can get through

Comment

Comment

David, that's just wrong.

Which reminds me, I hear theres some biggens over just north of Red Creek along the old railroad trestle... Have to get my fence climbing boots out.

Comment

BowBuddy, at least you didn't do perminate damage to some of your more vital areas!!! " if you know what I mean"

Comment

Wow man, sorry to hear about that.

Comment

Working...
                              X