Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekend Hike Near Durango, Pagosa, SW CO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekend Hike Near Durango, Pagosa, SW CO?

A last minute work trip has me flying to Durango tomorrow to deliver a bit. I'm going to stay over the weekend and take advantage of the chance to get some elevated hiking and backcountry gear testing.

Any suggestions on where to hike for a couple of days in that area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Flickr Photos

You better make sure ALL your gear is to proper specifications.

Comment

You looking for a multi day hike, or individual day hikes?

Comment

No suggestions on where, but stay hydrated! Are you taking some Gatorade (or similar) packets?

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
          Yep.

Comment

Download the All Trails app. Plug in Durango/Pagosa, then pick from your choice. I pulled up 244 trails around Durango. I’ve spent more time hiking north of Pagosa. There’s trailheads off the East Fork Rd and West Fork Rd that I’ve enjoyed. Can’t remember the names besides the Rainbow Springs trail. It’s a moderate 10-11 mile round trip along the West Fork of the San Juan.

Comment

If you don't mind going up from Durango we really liked Ice Lake Basin near Silverton. There is a nice bull moose that likes to hang out around Mineral Creek on your way to and from the trail head so bring a camera if you go this route. My oldest and I went somewhat on a whim and made it to the lakes without too much trouble.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                You looking for a multi day hike, or individual day hikes?

Probably a one or two nighter.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

FYI lots of people camp in the meadow on the Ice Lake trail.

Comment

I just sent you a message on facebook and included my cousin that lives in Pagosa. I'm sure he can give you some ideas on where to go.

Comment

The Vallecito creek trail would be a good one to get your feet wet. After that try the emerald lake trail. Both close to Durango. Then head down to SKA and enjoy a cold beverage.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                        Originally posted by Shane View Post
                        Yep.

Originally posted by Mary View Post
                        No suggestions on where, but stay hydrated! Are you taking some Gatorade (or similar) packets?
                        Yes ma'am. I have some Emergen-C packets and some powdered Gatorade to add to my water.
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by MassMan View Post
                          If you don't mind going up from Durango we really liked Ice Lake Basin near Silverton. There is a nice bull moose that likes to hang out around Mineral Creek on your way to and from the trail head so bring a camera if you go this route. My oldest and I went somewhat on a whim and made it to the lakes without too much trouble.
                          Very nice!
                          Originally posted by MassMan View Post
                          FYI lots of people camp in the meadow on the Ice Lake trail.
                          I'll check that out.
                          Originally posted by Shane View Post
                          I just sent you a message on facebook and included my cousin that lives in Pagosa. I'm sure he can give you some ideas on where to go.
                          Awesome! Thanks Shane!

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                          The Vallecito creek trail would be a good one to get your feet wet. After that try the emerald lake trail. Both close to Durango. Then head down to SKA and enjoy a cold beverage.

I'll check them out! Thanks!
                          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Michael I use this product in the am and before bed. It has helped me with soreness and cramps that come with hiking in the hills.

I just mix two teaspoons in with my crystal light and drink up. I’m up to a 5k in the AM and a 5k in the PM five days a week. This stuff is helping tremendously.

Comment

Are you gonna tent camp, Michael, or hammock? James mentioned the monsoon storms and lighting. Might not want to be tied to a tall tree.

Comment

Working...
                              X