Any old married guys wanna chime in ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any old married guys wanna chime in ?

My youngest son is getting married this Saturday. I am full of advice but got to thinking of all of the folks on here who have been married for 10, 15, 20 years or longer and was wandering if you would mind sharing some wisdom with him.

My thoughts are to take the most helpful comments and copy and print them and put them in a binder for him. Kinda like a TBH cook book but for marriage advice.

Anyone interested ?

Their background

He will be 25 this August
    She just turned 21 on the 7th.
    Both are Christian and working hard to live a Christian life.
    She has a 2 year old daughter, ( I probably need advice on this one, good lord that child is so full of energy)
    She plans to stay at home
    They have a house on 5 acres in the country.

Have fun!!!

Comment

1. You're not gonna win the argument, ever. If you do win, run.

Comment

Have God as the CENTER of the marriage....
        never give up on each other...
        there will be fights, so think before you talk when this happens
        The daughter will come first, then the wife..with luck the husband can enjoy some things too....
        There will be tight money issues....but life goes on.
        Always include any and all families, in everything.

I am still learning, but just did our 35th on June 5....oh, and whether the wife can hear you or not, she is right..

Comment

If she ever says "Fine! Do whatever you want"

Whatever you do ... DO NOT do whatever you want.

Comment

Congratulations! We've been married for 28 yrs. (29 this September). I married late in life (32 yrs. old) with the goal of doing it right once, or not at all. The three best things I've learned in our marriage are:

1) When you start thinking about doing your "share" of the work, don't think in terms of "50/50", instead, think in terms of "60/40". In other words, always do more than what you think your "fair share" is. Your wife may never say anything about it, but she will notice and appreciate it.

2) You can be right, or you can be happy, but you can only be one of these, and you get to choose.

3) If momma ain't happy, no one is happy.

Best of luck to your son and his bride.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Congratulations to your son. 38 years here next month.
              Best advice I have is never go to bed mad at each other.
              be respectful, truthful and listen more than you talk.
              Mine was a stay at home mom and it was tough financially but was worth it to us.
              Your son is gaining a daughter also and will need to raise her as his own.

Comment

Haven't been married long, but have found out never go to bed mad. Stay up and work it out and go to bed in love!

Comment

I need to add here
                  The husband and wife should be best friends....I have seen too many "boys night out" and "Gal's night out" end up causing more grief than the few hours with the "friends"....
                  I would, at least for the first few years, have the "friends come by...if they don't want to, well...they are just, "friends for a good time"

Comment

All of the above are good, especially the think before you talk. Once it is out there you cannot unsay those words. And she WILL NOT forget. Do your best to make her happy and put her before you and your needs and it will come back to you. Remember the two have now become one. Work as a team. I have found if I can help her with her chores and she can help with mine then we have more time for each other.

Comment

29yrs here.

1. Never go to bed mad.
                      2. Never argue. Have discussions.
                      3. Good times or bad...... hug.
                      4. Don't be afraid to pinch her on the *** now and then.

Comment

Love each other more today than you did yesterday!

3 books to read -
                        1 - The Bible - I recommend this one! Read it every day, every year.

2 - The Five Love Languages

3 - The Love Dare

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
                          Have God as the CENTER of the marriage....
                          Find and get plugged in to a local, Bible-believing church.
                          Get involved in the men's and women's ministry and find men/women who can be your mentors as you grow and struggle through some early bumps in the road.

Comment

You have to be more interested in Peace, than in Justice.

Comment

Originally posted by PantherCity View Post
                              You have to be more interested in Peace, than in Justice.
                              man, I was guna leave that to his own awakening!....hehehehehe

Comment

Working...
                              X