Invisible Fence - Dog Doesn't Care!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invisible Fence - Dog Doesn't Care!

Ok, I put in an invisible fence (around our 3.5 acres, system good for up to 100 acres) about a year ago and it's been really effective until the last month or two. One of our dogs gets so focused on whatever is outside this fence, that no matter how high the setting on the collar he will run through the fence. He's a pretty big dog and we have turned the power up on the collar and increased the effective "band" of the fence and he just doesn't care, he runs through it and then he comes back through it!

I know the collar is working because he's whining and yelping as he goes through it, we increased the shock level and ensured there are fresh batteries in it as well. We also tightened his collar pretty tight to ensure he's getting good contact.

Has anyone had a dog that has done this before? Looking for ideas to keep him on the right side of the fence. I am gone for 4 weeks at a time for work, so this is a big impact to my wife while I am away (i.e PO'd neighbors bringing him back or he goes after the mailman.)

Any ideas or experience with this?

Is this the model with the buried wire? We now have the one with no wire. Used to have the buried wire, and she would run across and The collar would stop shocking. The one with no buried wire keeps shocking, until the safety shuts it off like 30 seconds or a minute later but it was never necessary , she learned quick there’s no escaping the zap

Comment

Had a friend that had a dog that did the same thing except once he crossed he wouldn't come back through it. Once he had radar lock on a squirrel he was gone. He had to go get him every time. Never could stop him from doing it.

Comment

put longer electrodes on the collar?... it possible the dog isnt getting the full effect of the collar?

Comment

Once they learn to run through there is no breaking them of it

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
            Once they learn to run through there is no breaking them of it
            Exactly what I was going to say. Once they decide freedom is "worth the zap" there is no going back. That's one tough, hard headed dog you have there!

Comment

Is there video?

Comment

All a matter of voltage...

Comment

Pfft, it's just a dog....shoot it and get another one. At least that's what I read on a thread here once. I have no advice John except a dog run might be in order.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                    All a matter of voltage...
                    X2.
                    Get you a shock collar with a remote and when he decides to cross the line curl his *** up. You will have to watch him and catch him in the act but light him up once or twice on one of the high settings it should solve the problem.

Comment

I had a Timberwolf Hybrid that would not stay in. It just didn't care! It's want to get out was worth the pain of running through it. I had invisible fence come out three times to "retrain" my dog. It still didn't work. I eventually got a partial refund. The owner of invisible fence told me I was only the forth person they have ever given a refund to. They also said the other three people that got refunds owned wolf hybrids. This was several years ago.

Comment

Mine had burn marks from the collar so bad in her neck that I had to take her to the vet.

Comment

One of mine broke over ours a few times, chasing cats, squirels whatever. I drug him back across very slowly with a little pause in there. Cured him of it after about the 3rd trip back across.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm not joking when I say this. buy an extra cheap collar so that the shock collar will reach around his belly and place an electrode on each side of his "man meat". drag him to the fence and let him lite up. sure cured mine from going to the fence again.

Comment

Dang, this isn’t good news. I get home Sunday I’ll see what I can try on Monday with him.

Comment

Working...
                              X