No announcement yet.

Belize expert needed!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed there next month, although we are staying at my wife’s cousins house. I’ll try to report back what we get in to and what I think. I’m a pretty picky vacationer.

Comment

I have stayed on the Ambergris Caye twice. We took the kids for ten days the first time. The last trip this past September my Wife and I stayed for nine days. We enjoy it and would go back. We went to Caye Caulker both times as well. San Pedro has plenty of good places to eat. Stay north or south of the town. Rent a golf cart and ride around. The reef fishing is hit or miss. Spear fishing was much more fun inside the reef. Elvi's Kitchen and the Coconut Bar had great food. Tranquillity.....which was mentioned above is a nice secluded place north of San Pedro. look up some of the other threads here for more info.

Comment

[ATTACH]894749[/ATTACH]
        Last edited by ByronB; 01-31-2018, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Go see the blue hole in Belize! It's absolutely the most beautiful place I've ever seen with my own eyes. Look it up online. It's awesome!

Comment

Been all over the Caribbean. Belize was my least favorite city. They speak english there...so I guess that is a plus but it is a real dump. Didn’t think the food was near as good as Jamaica or Cozumel.

I’m partial to Cozumel for the cost but the bahamas are nice too and I liked Jamaica a lot even though it is a dump in some places too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DSMCasey View Post
              Been all over the Caribbean. Belize was my least favorite city. They speak english there...so I guess that is a plus but it is a real dump. Didn’t think the food was near as good as Jamaica or Cozumel.

I’m partial to Cozumel for the cost but the bahamas are nice too and I liked Jamaica a lot even though it is a dump in some places too.

*Belize was my least favorite Country! Not city.

Comment

Here it is.
                Attached Files

Comment

My wife and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon and one of the stops was Belize. We did a horseback riding in BACAB ECO PARK. I enjoyed it, my wife not so much. I am a country boy and she's from the city. The tour went on a trail in the rain forest where we saw monkey and different kinds of birds. The tour guide was a local who would point out the different plants that they use as medicine or drugs to cure sickness. Then afterwards we got to in the resort pool and enjoyed a local lunch (Chicken, rice with beans, and fried bananas). We bought some of the Belize coke while we where there because supposedly the Coke is made with Brown Sugar. *It tasted the same as what we have in the USA.

Comment

Was there in June last summer. We stayed in the Royal Caribbean Villas on Ambergris Caye, which were fine. Clean and modern enough but nothing fancy. If you don't stay at one of the secluded spots, just keep in mind that there are dumps right next to really nice resorts in the more developed areas. Basically, don't expect Disney World where everything is pristine. It is a 3rd world country, after all. That said, the people were very friendly, the food was always good (and not expensive, at least compared to Hawaii) and the diving and snorkeling was excellent. I took my son as a high school graduation present since he is very much into diving. We had a fantastic trip (because the diving was amazing, the food was good and the people were friendly (and spoke English)).

I have not done any of the pristine Caribbean resorts where you don't have to see occasional glimpses of poverty so I can't compare it to those. If they exist. I would say it is primarily a diving destination, and for those who love that, the untidiness of some of the countryside is easily overlooked.
                    Last edited by Heron; 01-31-2018, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
                      [ATTACH]894749[/ATTACH]

Not letting me open the attachment

Comment

I do think the cave tubing in Belize is awesome though!

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                          Not letting me open the attachment

Dang picture was sideways so I canceled it. I will see if I can figure out how to turn the pic first.

Comment

I went a few months ago to Ambergris caye. We stayed at Ramon's in town. We could walk to the airport. There are some nice resorts north of town but right next door may be a burnt out building or three. Coco beach is a few miles north of town. There is not much up there besides a few resorts and most are not walking distance away. This means you will need to rent a golf cart or take a cab to go anywhere. The snorkeling and flats fishing are decent. We did the Hol Chan snorkel and another one I can't remember. Don't expect beautiful beaches like other islands. Food/ drink prices are not too bad for a resort town but I didn't have a memorable meal the entire trip. You can buy your liquor duty free in the airport when you land at BZE before you take your flight out to the Caye. If you are going to do the ruin tour or cave tubing you will need to fly back to the mainland. It is around $100 USD per person for a rt flight. I didn't hate the place but I will not return. I would go back to Costa Rica

Comment

[ATTACH]894755[/ATTACH]

Oh well, someone will have to fix it. I changed it in my settings but it still came out sideways.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                                Victoria House is supposed to be top notch. I plan on making a trip down there soon. One of those deals where you never leave the property except for fishing!

We had a house just down from Victoria House. It was pretty awesome. Victoria House looked really nice. I think you would be happy there.

Travis and Laura dove the Blue Hole and loved it. If you dive, I suggest you go there. Most of us did night snorkeling and I do recommend that...it was pretty spectacular! We picked the wrong type fishing trip...so I can't recommend that. But, we did do a snorkeling, spear fishing, bbq on a private beach that was pretty awesome.

My brother went in to town one night on one of the golf carts we rented to check out the Chicken sh t bingo. I really regret that I did not go after looking at his pics. Looked like a hoot!

I don't recommend going to Belize City for any of the tours. We did the cave tours/ziplining there...while the tour was great....I am not sure the 1 hour bumpy ride there and back in a boat was worth that tour. And Belize City...is just not a nice place to be...period! (Just my opinion.)

I really liked San Pedro. We are going back again next year and staying in the same great house we rented before.

Comment

Working...
                                X