No announcement yet.

Official Lake Whitney And Aquilla 2017-2018 Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well... I had my boat out in October to help a buddy setup on Benbrook. There was nasty gas in the tank but after draining and fresh fuel all went splendidly.

Here we are in December and I've decided to switch up everything and head to a new spot on Whitney that I've only been to once before, last year actually, to scout. I'm essentially going in blind and hanging and hunting a new spot.

S ooo, I pulled the boat out this evening, trailer lights checked out, nav lights checked out, put new reg. Stickers on hull, and stuck on the rabbit ears to fire up the motor and make sure I wasn't going to have a headache at the ramp... I'm sure glad I did. Long story short, here I am at 3 AM and I've finally got the carb back on and engine purred for a good 10 minutes. Restarted several times to make sure all was resolved. So now... do i drive down and hunt or count my losses?

If you know me, few of you do, then you'll know I'm already on the **** road.

Comment

Good luck Txnrunner. I got 1 day off and I’m the woods. Now if that huge doe would show up...

Comment

Digging the new hole. 5 does came and hung out for a bit. One a big smart nanny. Didn't take her too long to show she sensed something wasn't right. But, does are not on my menu.

Comment

Good luck to ya switchback

Comment

Tall heavy horned spike just came thru. Following the trail of the does...

Comment

Sounds like you found a pretty good spot. Hope it happens for you.

Nothing yet. Guess I need someone walking around to bump the deer for me

Comment

treestand vs. groundblind

Hey everyone, which one seems to be a better option for you guys; treestands vs. ground blinds for hunting the property? I have both and was just curious which one works better.

Thanks,
                Dave R.

Comment

Depends on where your hunting. Some places have trees for stands and some no trees so ground blind. But I prefer brush blind over pop ups. Can see better and if not brushed in hard they spot a pop up quick.

Had 3 doe come across behind me about 20 yards at 10:30. Then saw 2 deer close to parking lot running away about 11:00. Guess where I’m at they are moving late morning.

Comment

Thanks switchback that helps a lot. I plan to hunt the afternoon on Tue and all-day Wed, so hopefully I can figure a few things out. Good luck!

Dave R.

Comment

Originally posted by switchback View Post
                      Sounds like you found a pretty good spot. Hope it happens for you.
                      Well, at 830, just after the spike came through, I had a really nice buck come in and give me an opportunity. He hung around for a couple minutes. 15-16" wide main frame 10 pointer with some extras. His left side was busted off past his G3, but his rack was fine by me. I just couldn't get him past 3.5 y.o. and my goal is to shoot a super mature buck. I'd rather have a smaller rack and an old knotty knee papa buck, and a chance at this buck next year or year after. He sure was pretty, but just didn't get my heart pumping. I guess I'm the only one to blame if I wind up with tags in my pocket.

Comment

Nothing wrong with that.

I just started a new job and doing about 70 hrs a week now. Not much time to hunt. So I just really want a little meat in the freezer and a little time in the woods or on the lake to wind down from work all week. Good luck and hope you get one.

Comment

Originally posted by TxnRunner View Post
                          Well, at 830, just after the spike came through, I had a really nice buck come in and give me an opportunity. He hung around for a couple minutes. 15-16" wide main frame 10 pointer with some extras. His left side was busted off past his G3, but his rack was fine by me. I just couldn't get him past 3.5 y.o. and my goal is to shoot a super mature buck. I'd rather have a smaller rack and an old knotty knee papa buck, and a chance at this buck next year or year after. He sure was pretty, but just didn't get my heart pumping. I guess I'm the only one to blame if I wind up with tags in my pocket.
                          Better man than me!!

Comment

Originally posted by Droney1980 View Post
                            Hey everyone, which one seems to be a better option for you guys; treestands vs. ground blinds for hunting the property? I have both and was just curious which one works better.

Thanks,
                            Dave R.
                            I used to build ground blinds. Never hunted a pop up. But I can tell you most deer take time to get used to a blind. Good luck

Comment

Thanks Johnny, I think I will stick with my tree stand for now and look at what options are available for the brush blinds.

Dave R.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny quest View Post
                                Better man than me!!
                                It's just a personal goal. I'm ready to put a buck on the wall and he's gonna be a mature animal preferably with a big rack. Not trying set the standard for anyone else, I just know what I want and I ain't burning a tag til I get it.

Comment

Working...
                                X