No announcement yet.

Help selecting close range .270 ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer are gonna run, it's their defense mechanism. If you shoot them to save the meat or the cape, they're gonna run til they can't run no more, fact of life. If you don't want them to run, shoot them in the head or somewhere to knock out they're CNS, and even then they may run but a just less. There's no magic bullet for that.

Comment

Hey guys looks like I’m looking at the fusions or something with the nosler ballistic tip. Any pros or cons on either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
        Not exactly true. Bonded and weight retention bullets require bone hits. BT expand just fine on lung shots through rib cage even if you miss the ribs.

Like I said, from the damage I’ve gotten, I’m sold !

Not ez to slip a bullet thru the lungs without nipping bone but I’ve gotten superb performance on both deer and hog with these Winchester Supreme Bullets.

I hear Hornady makes great stuff, but why try to fix what ain’t broke ?

Comment

Originally posted by mikerosa View Post
          Like I said, from the damage I’ve gotten, I’m sold !

Not ez to slip a bullet thru the lungs without nipping bone but I’ve gotten superb performance on both deer and hog with these Winchester Supreme Bullets.

I hear Hornady makes great stuff, but why try to fix what ain’t broke ?

When using barnes or bonded bullets I never got expansion unless I smacked heavy bone. Ribs never did it and this was on over 25 animals. Calibers were .223, 6.5 Grendel, .308 Win and .300 RUM.

One doe took over an hour to die on a solid lung hit, I watched her bed up but could not get another shot on her without spooking her. I just sat and watched.

Comment

When using barnes or bonded bullets I never got expansion unless I smacked heavy bone. Ribs never did it and this was on over 25 animals. Calibers were .223, 6.5 Grendel, .308 Win and .300 RUM.

One doe took over an hour to die on a solid lung hit, I watched her bed up but could not get another shot on her without spooking her. I just sat and watched.

I shot 2 memorable critters with the Winchester Supreme Black box ballistic tips.

1 was a buck. Only about a 40 yard shot. It came around a palmetto and hedge grove into an opening. Shooting a Browning A-bolt .270 short mag, Center punched the heart area, just grazing above the heart, because we ate it. Pin hole entrance, 3 inch circular hole exit. Ran 50 - 60 yards, keeled over dead. Amazing hole. 130 grain ballistic tips.

Second was doing crop damage for the corn farmer, same hunting spot on a boar hog. Riding the corn field a 250 pound boar hog come up and out of the over flow ditch onto the truck trail. 60 yards, Browning A-bolt .300 short mag, shoulder shot. Dropped instantly dead. 2.5 inch shield on either side easily. Insides looked like a milkshake of cloudy blood I guess from lung fluid and blood ? Bullet did NOT pass thru ! It was stuck midway thru the exit side shield completely flattened, no fragments about the size of a quarter. 150 grain ballistic tip. I was amazed !

I’ve shot many other things with both guns and other guns using these bullets and won’t change unless Winchester changes the bullet and it won’t perform.

I do not like a bullet that expands and fragments!

Comment

Originally posted by mikerosa View Post
              I shot 2 memorable critters with the Winchester Supreme Black box ballistic tips.

1 was a buck. Only about a 40 yard shot. It came around a palmetto and hedge grove into an opening. Shooting a Browning A-bolt .270 short mag, Center punched the heart area, just grazing above the heart, because we ate it. Pin hole entrance, 3 inch circular hole exit. Ran 50 - 60 yards, keeled over dead. Amazing hole. 130 grain ballistic tips.

Second was doing crop damage for the corn farmer, same hunting spot on a boar hog. Riding the corn field a 250 pound boar hog come up and out of the over flow ditch onto the truck trail. 60 yards, Browning A-bolt .300 short mag, shoulder shot. Dropped instantly dead. 2.5 inch shield on either side easily. Insides looked like a milkshake of cloudy blood I guess from lung fluid and blood ? Bullet did NOT pass thru ! It was stuck midway thru the exit side shield completely flattened, no fragments about the size of a quarter. 150 grain ballistic tip. I was amazed !

I’ve shot many other things with both guns and other guns using these bullets and won’t change unless Winchester changes the bullet and it won’t perform.

I do not like a bullet that expands and fragments!

My issue is that I would rather have a bullet that expands then one that does not.

The pig issue you stated is why I shoot pigs in the head.

Comment

TTSX all day for that. At 25 yds the 270 is carrying almost 3000 ft lbs of energy and 3000 fps: significant overkill. Personally I'd switch to a headshot with that caliber and range, and expect it to vaporize the head.

In any case you want as close to 100% weight retention as you can, which is why I'd say TTSX.

Comment

At that range and velocity, I'd pick a monometal bullet—Barnes TSX or TTSX, Nosler ETip, or Hornady GMX. My second choice would be a bonded core bullets like a Nosler Accubond or Hornady Interbond.

LWD

Comment

My issue is that I would rather have a bullet that expands then one that does not.

The pig issue you stated is why I shoot pigs in the head.

Expansion is what I’m talking about. The both shots expanded awesomely. The pig was a bigger bullet. Is was flattened out ! It basically windmilled the whole inside. This pig hardly kicked when it keeled over.

I do like the head shot myself, but I was working pest management and needed to play it sure. Lol I have not shot a pig in the head with these bullets but have a deer, between the eyes @ 175 yards. His skull crumbled and his horns fell off. No wasted meat.

Comment

This is what I ended up getting. Read great things about these. Plan on shooting them soon.

Comment

Okie dokie. If you discover that the BTs make a mess, you could try one of the higher retention bullets LWD suggested. Otherwise go get em :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                          Okie dokie. If you discover that the BTs make a mess, you could try one of the higher retention bullets LWD suggested. Otherwise go get em :-)
                          If you read his OP you will see he DID try one of those with bad results (Interbond)

Comment

If you read his OP you will see he DID try one of those with bad results (Interbond)
                            Those are definitely a second pick to the monometals, and the Interbond has a reputation for being softer than the Accubond or Swift Scirocco. It's also important to remember that one or two experiences don't make enough data to draw conclusions from.

LWD

Comment

150 gr Winchester Power Point/Remington Corelost/ Hornady Interlock.....any will do at factory 150 gr velocities at 25 yards.

Comment

Shoot em thru the shoulders and watch them kick themselves in the chest with their hind feet.

Comment

Working...
                                X