Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Bownanza > Bownanza 2013

Old 10-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Woody6383
Spike

Hunt In: Crabapple
Default Bowhunting 2013...not easy

I am hunting in between Fredericksburg and Llano in the beautiful hill country. I have logged about 30 hours in the blind this year and its been tough so far. There are so many acorns dropping that you have to wear a hardhat to the blind. Two weeks before season opener we had roughly 30 bucks on 4 different cameras. Pulling cameras at the opening of the season revealed about over 3/4 of the bucks quit hitting the feeders. As of opening day they were feeding at midnight and midday. In my morning hunt of the 7th a shooter buck came into range but while waiting for the correct time to pull back on him, he jumped out of the pen and walked off to the south. This year has been TOUGH, but I simply cant wait to get back into the blind and continue my journey. The motto that my dad and I live by is "Its not always the size of the trophy, but the experience of the hunt". Having said that I have to say spending time at the deer lease away from cell phone signal and civilization is absolutely cleansing to the soul and I love it. Good luck hunters.
Woody6383 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
JP Weld
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ranch Owner, Lampasas TX

Well said amigo. I had 3 of the best bucks on camera that I have seen in almost 4 years during the off season and have now seem to have disappeared. Very disappointing but every time I see the sun coming up over the tree line, I get pumped with hope!
JP Weld is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

It's my first year on this lease, I'm west of Harper just inside Kerr County, and it's as green as I've ever seen the hill country and acorns are dropping. Not a whole lot of acorns but enough to really keep them off the feeders. I hunted this last weekend and saw deer every hunt but nothing worth shooting. And our lease is 100% oaks.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381282170.581501.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  78.8 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381282190.845179.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  64.4 KB
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
cajuntec
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Natalia TX

I've seen deer on cameras every year since I moved to TX in 2008, but haven't shot a deer here yet. Still holding out hope and enjoying my time in the woods. Seeing a deer show up during legal shooting hours every once in a while would be nice though...

All the best,
Glenn
cajuntec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
hchunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Edwards county

Same here big bucks at feeders until acorns were falling.
hchunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
Lonestar Hunter
Eight Point

Let me guess, you have Verizon Cell service.
Lonestar Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
Woody6383
Spike

I hunt a different stand during the morning than I do in the evening. In my evening blind I hunted 6 evenings totaling 18 hours and only saw 2 small bucks the first evening, talk about hard hunting. Big bucks are on camera during the night. I spray down with Primos scent eliminating spray, I am a very disciplined hunter, I can sit there for hours and not move. Despite my hard hunting, nothing. The more I bow hunt the more I understand that is whats it is about. I am slightly haunted by the opportunity I had with that shooter in the pen and couldn't execute. That's hunting. I cant wait to get back in the blind.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
Woody6383
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar Hunter View Post
Let me guess, you have Verizon Cell service.
Actually I have AT&T.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #9
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty Co.

It can be very tough with so much food, and it is all about the hunt!

Have you thought about getting away from the feeder? That is the primary way we kill deer this time of the year. It does take some extra scouting and a few trail cameras help, but it can pay off big time.
CastAndBlast is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #10
Hookem84
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Llano county

We have the same thing going on here near Bluffton tow. We had all kinds of bucks at feeders and now nothing I did shoot a little 4 point cull Saturday night. And tonight I finally saw 5 does before that sat 9 times never saw anything but squirrels and dove
Hookem84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
Woody6383
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastAndBlast View Post
It can be very tough with so much food, and it is all about the hunt!

Have you thought about getting away from the feeder? That is the primary way we kill deer this time of the year. It does take some extra scouting and a few trail cameras help, but it can pay off big time.
That is actually something I look to delve into during the off season. I want to have that option for 2014. Good tip.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
Archery
Nubbin' Buck

I moved my cameras from the feeders to trails that look to have heavy activity. It takes some scouting but has been successful. Where I hunt, we get no deer at the feeders till winter sets in. I moved my cam and checked it. I was amazed to see a huge 8 and a huge 6. Both had very wide racks. There was also a spike and a small 6 and several doe. It's a deer highway. I didn't have time to move my tree stand so I made a brush pile and climbed in. I seen the big 8 but he never got within 70 yards. I had several deer around that evening but couldn't shoot with my area not cleaned up good enough.
Archery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top