No announcement yet.

Another affordable thermal - FLIR Thermosight Pro PTS233

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey y'all I know it’s been a while since I updated this post. The main reason is the FLIR PTS233 shipments have been coming in extremely slow and almost every scope that has come in has been pre-sold. FLIR's manufacturing cannot keep up with the demand and they don’t seem to be running at full production capabilities. There are more new FLIR thermals coming out this spring, so hopefully they will be able to ramp up production soon.

Since my last update I’ve been able to use the PTS233 extensively in the field and I've killed a lot of hogs with it. After many weeks of use, I’ve got to say I’m really impressed with it considering the price and features. I have no major complaints at all with it.

The big question that I keep hearing over and over is "how does it compare to the Pulsar RXQ30V?" That is a very fair question considering these two scopes are so similar in quality, functionality and price. I hope to do a full review video of the PTS233 soon but for now, in a nutshell this is my answer to that question.

If you are looking to spend under $2,200 and have no interest in video recording, by the RXQ30V for $1,899. If you do want to record video, buy PTS233 for $2,199. In my opinion, it’s really that simple. The RXQ is $300 less and has a slightly better image quality there the PTS233. Again, it is very slight but it’s there because of the higher 384X288 resolution of the RXQ compared to the 320x256 resolution of the PTS233. Now to be clear, this is nitpicking and not a reason to shy away from the PTS233. That's why I say it simply comes to down video recording or no video recording.

Outdoor Legacy Prostaffer HansETX demo'd the PTS233 for over a month and killed a lot of hogs with it. He put it through he ringer and he was very impressed as well. I'll include his 3 videos using the 233 below.

I've got a bunch more of these scopes on the way but I don't have a good ETA. FLIR is saying the first part of April, so I've got my fingers crossed. PM or call me if you'd like to get on the list or have more questions

-Jason

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgHgEHBSd1o"]FLIR THERMOSIGHT PRO PTS233: Field Test and Review - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfGKYbvxPAU"]Flir PTS233 | Hog Revenge Kills - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yX29PvKhtk&t"]Flir PTS233 | BEST HOG BANG FLOP and FLIP - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by Outdoor Legacy; 03-05-2018, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Jason, how far were those hogs in the “bang flop flip” ?

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        Jason, how far were those hogs in the “bang flop flip” ?

Those were shot by Hans so I'm not sure. He's on a cruise this week but when he gets back I'll get him to chime in here and answer that question for you.

Jason

Comment

Jason, I’m very limited in what I have been behind on thermals to preface this question. I’m in the market for a thermal, but an affordable one of this sort. Recording capability is something im not worried about necessarily. I have been behind a few $5,000-$8,000 thermals, which is out of the question, and the sig that is like an eotech sight in thermal. What I held against the sig, was when you would move it the image lagged behind. What are these thermals like this flir like in keeping up with movement of the optic? I want one, but if I can’t shoot following Something moving quick I’m not going to be happy with it. The high end thermals kept up fine it seemed.

Comment

Originally posted by bk_tradguy88 View Post
            Jason, I’m very limited in what I have been behind on thermals to preface this question. I’m in the market for a thermal, but an affordable one of this sort. Recording capability is something im not worried about necessarily. I have been behind a few $5,000-$8,000 thermals, which is out of the question, and the sig that is like an eotech sight in thermal. What I held against the sig, was when you would move it the image lagged behind. What are these thermals like this flir like in keeping up with movement of the optic? I want one, but if I can’t shoot following Something moving quick I’m not going to be happy with it. The high end thermals kept up fine it seemed.
            Very reasonable question. There are only two things that would normally cause this. A cheap or low end processor is used and it's too slow to keep up or the refresh rate is too low.

The refresh rate is simply the number of times per second that the image is refreshed on the screen. So a 30hz refresh rate means the image is refreshed 30 times per second on your screen. This has been the standard refresh rate for thermals for many years with 50hz or 60hz being the upgraded, super fast refresh rate. The only time the average user would need more than 30hz is if he was using the scope in a fast moving situation like, from a helicopter, from a fast moving Jeep or UTV etc. With that all said, less than 30hz is definitely noticeable in the way that you've described. Things seem to lag behind.

I know some people like their Sig Echos but I'm not a fan for a variety of reasons and your experience is just one of them. Any quality thermal should not do what you described in normal usage from the ground (ie: not moving fast). They claim it's a 30hz and it may well be, but if it is and you were seeing lagging it was either a defective unit or the processor isn't fast enough to keep up.

With that said, all of the Pulsars are 50hz and the new FLIR scopes, like this PTS233 are 60hz. There is some confusion because FLIR originally said the PTS233 was 30hz but later came back and said that was incorrect, it's actually 60hz, so nothing to worry about there either. Any of their units should suit you fine.

If you have any questions and would like to talk about specific scopes or get suggestions, give me a call anytime! (877)350-1818

- Jason

Comment

Jason, The manual I got with my PTS 233 shows the refresh is 30 Hz on the Pro series. Is it really 60 Hz?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Tye; 03-16-2018, 08:14 PM.

Comment

I looked at their site. They do say 60Hz refresh on there. They must have not changed their owners manual...

Going to try and kill some pigs tomorrow night. We shall see!

Comment

It is 60

Comment

General question about night hunting with these optics....are you guys using this scope to scan fields and open areas looking for hogs? OR are you using this in conjunction with nightvision to spot the game first??

Our version of night hunting is riding long ranch roads at night (that have been corned out) looking for hogs coming to the roads (no wheat fields in this area)....I'm trying to figure out how to get rigged up to do that at night.

Comment

Ok , I need some hot summer night video on varmint sized game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tye View Post
                        Jason, The manual I got with my PTS 233 shows the refresh is 30 Hz on the Pro series. Is it really 60 Hz?
                        If I haven't addressed this, I should have already. Sorry about that. FLIR sent us this info in late December '17.

We would like to notify you that the FLIR ThermoSight PRO PTS233 displays an image that renders at 60Hz, as opposed to the originally stated 30Hz. The recorded files from the unit still output at 30Hz.

As a result, note that FLIR’s product description for this unit will change as follows:
                        To: FLIR ThermoSight PRO PTS233 1.5-6x19 (60Hz)
                        There will be no change in Part # or UPC.
                        So the units have always been 60Hz, they were just mislabeled in their specs and documents. Very good question though!

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by J.B. View Post
                          General question about night hunting with these optics....are you guys using this scope to scan fields and open areas looking for hogs? OR are you using this in conjunction with nightvision to spot the game first??

Our version of night hunting is riding long ranch roads at night (that have been corned out) looking for hogs coming to the roads (no wheat fields in this area)....I'm trying to figure out how to get rigged up to do that at night.
                          Good question. You really want to be doing your scanning with thermal. Seeing animals instantly at extreme distances is one of the real benefits of thermal. You will see hogs with thermal that you never knew existed while using night vision. Now I understand a lot of guys can't afford both a thermal handheld and a scope and that can be a real issue. The logical thinking is to use the scope as a handheld monocular and then put it on the rifle when you are ready to shoot. It can be done but it's generally not advised for a variety of reasons. However, with practice, it can be done and it's definitely more reasonable if you are just riding around in the truck because that gives you plenty of time to re-attach the scope to your rifle. But if you are walking around or sitting in a stand and having to take the scope off and on the rifle, in the dark, in a hurry, with hogs down wind and making sure to get it back in the exact same picatinny slots every time.....it can be a struggle. Everything done in a hurry and in the dark can be a pain. But again, for riding around in the truck, I don't think it will be a big issue for your at all.

So at the end of the day, if you can afford a handheld monocular and a rifle scope, awesome. If not, go with the rifle scope and improvise!

-Jason

Comment

Originally posted by one66stang View Post
                            Ok , I need some hot summer night video on varmint sized game
                            You'll have to wait until this summer because this scope didn't start shipping until a few months ago, so there is no hot summer night video from it. I will be able to get your videos of deer or hogs but I don't do much coyote hunting in the summer, so I won't be able to get you video of that. Coons are possible though.

- Jason

Comment

Jason, what basic settings are you running in the PTS 233?

Comment

$2200 is affordable? Lol, it’s way cool no doubt

Comment

Working...
                                X