Big cities push Texas to swing-state territory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big cities push Texas to swing-state territory

Interesting data. I did not realize how historically close some of the House races were where TX Republican incumbents held onto their seats. I voted for GOP Incumbent Kenny Marchant this year, as I did in 2016, 2014 and 2012. Congressman Marchant's 24th Congressional District was redrawn after the 2010 census to heavily favor Republicans. In 2012 Marchant won the district by 25 points. In 2014 he won it by 33 points. In 2016 he won it by 17 points. This year he squeaked by with a 3.2 point victory.

The times they are a-changin' in Texas...

Rise of big cities push Texas to swing-state territory — maybe by 2020

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...-maybe-by-2020

What worries Republicans even more is a slower moving shift in suburban attitudes. The counties that surround San Antonio, Austin and Dallas are some of the fastest-growing in the country, and the thousands of new voters who move there are not as conservative as those who have lived in Texas all their lives.

Cruz won Denton County, just north of Dallas, by 32 points in 2012, when he first won his seat. Trump beat Hillary Clinton there by 20 points. Cruz carried Denton again in 2018 — but by just 7 points.

Cruz won neighboring Collin County by 32 points in 2012. Trump won it by 16, and Cruz carried it this year by 6 points.

Cruz’s opponent, Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D), carried five counties that Cruz won six years ago, including Harris County and neighboring Fort Bend; Williamson and Hays counties, in the Austin suburbs; and Tarrant County, next door to Dallas.

The shifting suburbs will put some Republican members of Congress on Democratic target lists in 2020. Rep. Kenny Marchant (R) won reelection to his suburban Dallas-Fort Worth seat by just 3.2 percentage points. Rep. Michael McCaul (R) won another term in his district, which bridges the suburbs of Austin and Houston, by just 4 points.

Rep. John Carter (R) fended off a well-financed Democrat to hold his seat along Interstate 35 by three points. Three new members of Congress, Reps.-elect Dan Crenshaw (R), Chip Roy (R) and Ron Wright (R), all won their seats by fewer than 10 points.

“There were a number of other seats that were unexpectedly close,” Anchia said. “As you’re looking at the electoral map, there were a bunch of Democrats who didn’t win but who came really close in districts that were not perceived to be competitive.”

Just admit it
    You're a liberal

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
      Just admit it
      You're a liberal
      At the rate this state is moderating from red to purple, some of the local right wingers might want to start looking at Oklahoma, lol. Cruz is safe until 2024. It should be pretty interesting by then, if not sooner.

Comment

The scary part is that with California and New York always being blue when Texas votes blue the country is doomed!!

Comment

Did you get that tingly feeling in your leg when read that?

Comment

Awesome so the dum*****es can ruin another state.
            Oklahoma is, in deed, on my radar. Love texas but I’m not buying anything the liberals are selling and honestly have a major disdain for them all.
            Can’t fix stupid unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
              Did you get that tingly feeling in your leg when read that?
              It's that tingly feeling when reality is so obviously clear, even the most rabid Trumpist can't explain it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermin93 View Post
                It's that tingly feeling when reality is so obviously clear, even the most rabid Trumpist can't explain it away.
                Sure can in two words. Voter Fraud

Comment

Oh there’s no denying that the large metropolitan areas are driving the state purple and eventually blue.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                    Sure can in two words. Voter Fraud
                    ^^^ Textbook example of the psychological observations discussed in the article below ^^^

It's a fascinating article that explains several observable patterns in the P/CE forum.

Why Are Conservatives More Susceptible to Believing Lies?
                    An interplay between how all humans think and how conservatives tend to act might actually explain a lot about our current moment.

https://slate.com/technology/2017/11...g-in-lies.html

Comment

^^^ Textbook example of the psychological observations discussed in the article below ^^^

It's a fascinating article that explains several observable patterns in the P/CE forum.

An interplay between how all humans think and how conservatives tend to act might actually explain a lot about our current moment.

Nah, I just wanted to jerk your chain to see if you would bark. It worked!

Comment

Is it obviously clear that the liberals try to manipulate and steal votes and elections? Why do y'all ponder to the illegal vote? Why is every uncounted vote democrat?

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                          Is it obviously clear that the liberals try to manipulate and steal votes and elections? Why do y'all ponder to the illegal vote? Why is every uncounted vote democrat?
                          I don't pander to the illegal vote, and not every uncounted vote is Democrat.

Read the article I linked above for a personal diagnosis.

Comment

Yep
                            Attached Files

Comment

Yep, can’t fix stupid.
                              Thanks for supporting my point.
                              I can’t even believe you linked that article, I’m hoping you are just trolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X