No announcement yet.

McMullen County Hunters Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably going to have to switch to those hard panels you connect to each other.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
      Probably going to have to switch to those hard panels you connect to each other.

What are these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

cows got us last year...every stinking pen! tried the barbed wire approach, but it was too late at that point. only 2 things stopped them.....1. we had to upgrade to cattle panels or double stack the hog panels to finally keep them from jumping in. we also added extra t posts in the middle of the panels to keep them from pushing/bending them down. 2. rancher rounded up those cows to take them to market! have new cows now and they have not developed a taste for the CS.....we're very careful about loading/unloading the CS from the trailer to the pens now.

God forbid we have to shoot a deer in the pens now, as about half of our pens are a tangled mess of double-stacked old and new panels. as evidenced by the lack of patties, the ugly AF pens are doing their jobs though. we cut jumps into the panels for the deer and added posts on both sides of the jumps for support....this is a critical step (support the jump cuts with tposts).

final tidbit is to remove the horizontal wire at the very top of the top panel and bend the verticals at 45-90 angles so it will poke them if they get too close or try to jump.....they don't like that.

good luck.....last summer was a complete pain in the *** to fix that mess....we went round and round with those cows between July - November.

Comment

I am considering an electric wire 6" above hog panel. What to you think?

Comment

Originally posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
            I got my 2019 buck back a couple of weeks ago. Here he is on the right with Mr. 2018...
            Dang those sure are nice trophy’s! Very nice.

Comment

Panels

We started using panels a few years back, they are great. You can see them in this pic. We do cut the top pipe off the middle section on one or two panels in each pen for easier entry/exit and they use them.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PassnItOn View Post
                We started using panels a few years back, they are great. You can see them in this pic. We do cut the top pipe off the middle section on one or two panels in each pen for easier entry/exit and they use them.

Where do you get these panels?

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                  Where do you get these panels?

Tractor Supply or check and see how much Joe is at Free Flo.

Comment

We purchased ours from a guy that builds them in Lometa, TX. Should be able to Google it. $40 a panel I think. Worth every dime in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
                      Tractor Supply or check and see how much Joe is at Free Flo.

$135 a panel from Joes [emoji15]

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                        $135 a panel from Joes [emoji15]

Probably a different panel from the $40 panel mentioned above. I said check with Joe, not buy from him!!

Comment

So, new down south and have been told to not get too hung up on the "feeder bucks" I have on camera. The rut is when the big boys show. I know there is truth to the rut thing everywhere but these guys tell me it is in effect big time down here. More of low fence question I guess but just curious on your thoughts.

Comment

So, new down south and have been told to not get too hung up on the "feeder bucks" I have on camera. The rut is when the big boys show. I know there is truth to the rut thing everywhere but these guys tell me it is in effect big time down here. More of low fence question I guess but just curious on your thoughts.
                            Not necessarily true, but not necessarily false. You will be amazed at the number of different bucks you will see when the rut kicks off that you don't see early season. The big boys will do quite a bit of traveling, but if they get a hot doe hemmed up, you may not see him for days or even weeks. Some of the mature bucks will be nocturnal until the rut, but lose their minds when that scent is in the air. I can't tell you how many times I've walked up on 'em on the way to the stand and they don't even give you a second thought.

Comment

Back when we used to run cameras pretty heavily, we figured we were only seeing about half of the old bucks from the camera pics. Cameras were on both protein and corn. There would be bucks that were in hundreds of pics all summer but were never seen on the hoof, and old mature bucks that came to the skinning rack that we never had pics of. There were definitely deer on camera that got killed, but the "new" buck thing was more common than not. The unknown is part of the magic and part of the fun

Comment

Agreed on the magic statement, why I love low fence. Not disrespect to the high fence guys, you have bonafide studs to chase, the likes of which I'll likely never lay eyes on.

My hill country experience had a the bigger bucks on the protein at night. As soon as coon hoods are deployed, we'll see down here. Get so mad looking at coon pics now, I disabled by camera from 9PM to 6AM lol.

Thanks for the feedback guys, just trying to learn the ropes down here.

Comment

Working...
                                X