Hill Country Spring plots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hill Country Spring plots?

I asked this a while back in the Campfire forum, some of you replied and I appreciate it. Thought it might get a little more attention here. What do you plant? I'm in Gillespie county.

I am in Gillespie as well. Planted oats and rye over Thanksgiving for the first time and was surprised at how well they came up.

Planning on planting some millet and maybe cowpeas, but would love to hear others input.

Comment

Comment

I think for the deer up there cowpeas are you best bet.

Comment

Yep - we have good "grape growing" soil lol! Our winter plots do great just trying to figure out the spring thing.

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
            I am in Gillespie as well. Planted oats and rye over Thanksgiving for the first time and was surprised at how well they came up.

Planning on planting some millet and maybe cowpeas, but would love to hear others input.

Did you prep the soil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I typically rent a bobcat over Thanksgiving to do work on the property. I used teeth of the bucket to try and "plow" the ground as best I can, then throw the seed and fertilizer in the bucket and spread it together. Then try and back grade it all down. By no means an operator, but it works decent.

Did no pre work on the tank. Did what I was speaking about in the 2nd pic, both are from 3/19. Millet didnt take as well.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                I typically rent a bobcat over Thanksgiving to do work on the property. I used teeth of the bucket to try and "plow" the ground as best I can, then throw the seed and fertilizer in the bucket and spread it together. Then try and back grade it all down. By no means an operator, but it works decent.

Did no pre work on the tank. Did what I was speaking about in the 2nd pic, both are from 3/19. Millet didnt take as well.

Thanks, looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We planted silver river clover and armadillo burr clover with our wheat and it grows a lot in the spring/early summer. I’m thinking of broadcasting some chicory in these fields in April bc chicory is a little more drought resistant and should last longer than the other two through the summer.

Comment

Working...
                  X