Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 08-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
picknstick

Default any one in north texas

im thinking about trying out the public hunting but i dont know if its worth it
  Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2009, 05:40 AM   #2
rahma
Four Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

Some good hunting available, just make sure you know the regs on baiting and stands. Pretty restrictive at most places.
rahma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
Stick em
Eight Point

Hunt In: Fannin & Panola Co.

sucks
Stick em is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

It's all a matter of what ya compair it to.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2009, 11:56 PM   #5
Stick em
Eight Point

thats true and it can be good if you lay down enough shoe leather to escape the crowds and dont even try on the holidays. And dont expect the stuff you read in magazines work on these deer theres to much pressure. They got to be the smartest deer just to live ya year. But bow season not bad crowded but wear your orange during rifle season. I like Caddo National Grasslands near Bonham Tx. Ive seen some good deer nothin huge but i killed a 115 8 point out there 3 years agoe and thats was the biggest deer killed that year there. Ask for Tom Palmer if you go I know him well hes the bio. there and he will put you on the deer.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:04 AM   #6
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Now I'm like-n ya Stick em . Atta boy! And welcome to TBH. Your bro is welcome too
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2009, 01:18 AM   #7
Stick em
Eight Point

The worst thing about public land is sometimes you have do deal with some buthole that will set up a hundred yards away from ya. What are you supposed to do if you see a deer--quick draw and see who hits em first i guess. but the majority of the people I meet are considerate, but your hunting public land so just expect to see ppl now ive walked up on pple huntin a time or two but i get out of there fast so not to disturb them.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
Zen Archery
Ten Point

Hunt In: G-ds blessed earth!

any hunting is better than no hunting... like above watch the regulations.

here's an idea. why not have a TBH camp site so brotherman above can meet some hunting folks and share experiences, stories, a beer.
Zen Archery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2009, 08:14 AM   #9
bmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson Co. & TPWD

If you stick to the bow only spots and walk a little farther then you normally would you can get into some good hunting. The size may not be as good as you would like but some good respectable deer.
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
Wack-n-Stack
Six Point

Hunt In: Wichita County, Any WMA

Public hunting is better if you go through the draw system. I've been able to hunt all over Texas and have always seen game. Last year I put two does in the freezer.
Wack-n-Stack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2009, 08:27 PM   #11
davandron

Zen: Your idea sounds great to me! I started another thread wondering if others were going to Wright Patman (northeast) or Davy Crockett (southeast) this October for the same reason. It's always better when you can share the trip with others.

And from my understanding both places I listed are big enough that you shouldn't have too much crowding during the bow season.
  Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #12
holepuncher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick em View Post
thats true and it can be good if you lay down enough shoe leather to escape the crowds and dont even try on the holidays. And dont expect the stuff you read in magazines work on these deer theres to much pressure. They got to be the smartest deer just to live ya year. But bow season not bad crowded but wear your orange during rifle season. I like Caddo National Grasslands near Bonham Tx. Ive seen some good deer nothin huge but i killed a 115 8 point out there 3 years agoe and thats was the biggest deer killed that year there. Ask for Tom Palmer if you go I know him well hes the bio. there and he will put you on the deer.
Thanks for the information, how is the camping around Coffee Mill lake?
holepuncher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #13
hand grenade
Banned!!!

stands get stolen on leases. poachers on leases. butholes on leases.
stands get stolen on public lands. poachers on public lands. butholes on public lands.
lease =1500 and up
public land= 48 or free permit.
do the math. and do your scouting and you will have great hunting. you get what you put into it. good luck
hand grenade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #14
Stick em
Eight Point

camping at coffee mill lake is good but it gets crowded if you dont get there early but there are alot of other places to camp.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:55 AM   #15
Hamour
Spike

Some of the BEST small game hunting is to be had on public lands. Squirrel hunting in the mature hardwood sections of the national forrests is great.

I go durring the week and hunt deep (away from roads) for deer, I have a drilling (12ga-12ga-30-06) that I use for this type of hunting. If squirrels really start moving I just switch the selector and have fun.

If ducks are possibly on the menu I carry bismuth shot for them and squirrels, do not have both lead fine shot and ducks in the woods. (I emailed the Federal game wardens and thay said rifle ammo is fine but no lead fine shot in the woods while duck hunting.)

So be flexible, hunt deep and hunt durring the week days. Public hunting can be fun, just different.
Hamour is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #16
Cuz
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central & West TX

I've seen a lot of deer at the LBJ GrassLands when turkey hunting. Never actually been deer hunting there but my wife and I go turkey hunting there every spring and do pretty good.
I may be down for a forum kinda hunt out there. It's much better than the piney woods public lands in my opinion!
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #17
mayhemsr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere they roam!!!

i use to hunt around the DFW area for a long time and only hunted public land....make sure you know the regs and go out of your way to the places way beyond the beaten path....worked well for me for a good 3 years....
mayhemsr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #18
Dbrich90
Nubbin' Buck

I know this is an older thread. However I just wanted to know some specifics of how to get started hunting these areas. Outside of the annual public hunting permit, license, hunters Ed card, blaze orange.
I'd like to rifle hunt up there. I haven't done any kind of scouting.
Dbrich90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #19
Incline
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cottle County or Where Invited

Very little land where rifle is allowed. Shotgun or bow is your best bet. I bought the annual public land permit before I bow hunted and was shocked to see that I couldn't get on most places.
Incline is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #20
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Denton County, 9900 Four Horse Trail

I think the only public lands in north texas that still allow centerfire rifles are LBJ and Caddo national grasslands most everything else is restricted to archery there are some shotgun/slug areas but they require a draw. A little south of there but they also allow centerfire rifles on the mine land in robertson co.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #21
Dbrich90
Nubbin' Buck

I talked with the game warden about it. Where I was planning to go allows center fire rifle (Caddo national grasslands) good thing I'm buying a bow Friday in prep for next year's hunt.
Dbrich90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top