Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 10-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
emtpbowhunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Any Where South Texas
Default LRGV National Wildlife Refuge, Teniente Tract

Ok guys, I'm going to be hunting at the LRGV National Wildlife Refuge Teniente Tract, I was able to draw a tag for a 4 day hunt 1-6-11 to 1-9-11. Its located west of Raymondville on 186 between county rd 10-30. Yesterday I drove down county rd 30, and I saw two Nilgai, a bobcat and a Spike. This was just one rd, I still have to go down rd 20 and 10, I know 10 runs to the Rio Beef Yard. This place is huge and I wouldn't even know where to start. Has anybody hunted here before? Any advice would help, brush is thick, but I know by the time I go the grass and brush will be less thick. It's a nice place out there. Any info will help. Should I use a ground pop up blind or tripod, and if a tripod where or who makes a light weight tripod, no vehicles are allowed in there. Appreciate the help guys.
emtpbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Poco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb County

Will be my first time also. I'll be there on Dec 9-12. I've heard of a place that sales an aluminum tripod. I think its around the laguna heights area. Do a search on here..Lates
Poco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Mojo
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Diego and Hondo

Yippeeee!!!
Got lucky on a "re-draw" and will be hittin' it 2-5 Dec....
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
lunatic'hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado,

South Texas Tripods make some awesome lightweight tripods. Never hunted there. Born and raised not far from there.
lunatic'hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
emtpbowhunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Any Where South Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatic'hunter View Post
South Texas Tripods make some awesome lightweight tripods. Never hunted there. Born and raised not far from there.
PM sent
emtpbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
live4perfection
Nubbin' Buck

first things first...glad to be on board with u guys...this is my first post on here. Have been a part of Texas Hunting Forum for several yrs now. Reason I registered here was because I was drawn for a hunt on Dec 10-12 @ LRGV Teniente Tract and noticed ur post...well drove out there yesterday at sundown with a buddy and came across 7 deer, a coyote, and a couple of raccoons simply driving up and down CR 10,20,and 30...so it was nice to see some action. i do have one question though...even though not all areas are thick...most parts (90-95%) are covered in tall grass...where exactly can we set up? can we set up along the road? where we have a clear view...or is a tripod recommended. i've just never hunted public lands before.
live4perfection is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2010, 11:39 PM   #7
BOW BANDIT
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas and Old Mexico

Like in other places in texas hunting is not allowed from a road so a tripod is recomended, you dont have to much time to setup and to scout, look at the area just east of 20 on the north part, try to get at least 350 yds from 20 towards 30 and no less than 200 from the north road
BOW BANDIT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
hound dog
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

For anyone else hunting this tract of land, just some advice. I have been lucky to get drawn a few times. Pigs anywhere near water. Deer, just sit and give them time, if you are there they will come. Plenty of game. Nilgai bedded in the tall grass will flush like quail if they don't smell you. Stalking after the prime hunting hour of 10:00am is a good way to find one. If you are a large group of 4 or more go to CR10 and everyone dump off to your west. Some work from north to south and the others work south to north.

You will push Nilgai into each other. Just wear your orange and don't shoot each other. Spread out 50 yards as you walk and keep sight of each other. We have flushed many nilgai this way, but the brush held back the arrow flight. People tend to stay away from that area because of the high 18wheeler traffic to the Beef yard. Also that area is not very wide, this helps funnel them and limits their movement east to west. A good pull cart is a must.
I have one but got lazy last week and didn't take it on the first day. I shot an 8pt. buck and had to drag him out 1/4 mile. Tough day that coulda been easier. If you don't have help or a cart, come out and ask for some help. More than likely someone will help.
I hunt off the ground and use all the dead grass to build a ground blind. Pull it or cut it and stack it around you. Also have a light weight tripod, but this was the first year to take it. Majority of hunting can be done by big fellas from a small chair on the ground, for small lightweights, plenty of trees to hide in.
Gamewardens do check you well there, so no funny stuff. If it warms up, wear snake boots. I have seen some big rattlers that worried me with the thought of them striking above my boots. Ran into a mountain lion a few years back, plenty of coyote's and bobcats(non-shootable). All in all the hunt is as easy or hard as you make it. Good luck.

Last edited by hound dog; 12-11-2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: error
hound dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
Mojo
Ten Point

BTTT....
Just wanna get this near the front cause not too long before we get ready for another go at it...did it last year for the first time (unsuccessfull) and am just a little smarter for it this time...
Old 09-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
Mojo
Ten Point

Who's got the go ahead for this tract yet?
Bueller....
Bueller....
Old 09-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
Mojo
Ten Point

still gonna have the hunt out there even though 400acres was burned off a couple weeks ago...got the word from an employee at Sta. Ana...notifications of drawings were mailed out a couple of days ago, we will find out if we made the cut early next week according to this lady...good luck out there....
Old 09-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #12
closing time
Nubbin' Buck

Got drawn for the shotgun/muzzleloader hunt at the end of December. I'm pretty excited but don't have a clue what to expect. I sent my payment in and they said they would send out the scouting information along with my permit once they received the check. Any ideas when the scouting dates usually are? I am also curious as to how many hunters they allow at a time on the refuge.
closing time is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
Poco
Pope & Young

I got drawn for the archery hunt for the first week of January. Got drawn last year but couldnt make it. So it will be my first time going also.

Ray
Old 10-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #14
CoolArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr county

closing time, i did the shotgun hunt a couple of yrs ago. they only allow i think about 10 hunters per hunt. I didn't have any luck. you can take the middle road which will lead you to the lake......might be dry. i took the road to the right went all the way back to the property saw a nilgai cow down the road about 150 yds. but no luck on a stalk. its a tough hunt bring plenty of water because it will still be hot down here in december.
CoolArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #15
closing time
Nubbin' Buck

I found out I am hunting the east lake tract and the hunt coordinator told me there would be 10 hunters. Anyone hunted the east lake tract?
closing time is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #16
chancito1
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas/Kempner

Teniente is awesome hunt. We usually set up halfway down cr 130 before the salt bed on the east side. That place has some monster bucks! we are not set up in heavy brush but have seen a couple of 140 class deer along with nilgai. I was drawn 4 yrs in a row and never changed location. Good luck!
chancito1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2011, 11:41 PM   #17
CoolArrow
Ten Point

poco bueno, you were supposed to call me last year. u couldn't make it. well maybe this yr u can make it. I also will be there Jan. 5-8. if u get lost call me. 956-369-2304.
good luck brother.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #18
bigrack25
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: South Texas

Im hunting the teniente refuge Jan. 5-8. Im trying to put a game plan together. Has anyone here had any luck stalking?
bigrack25 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #19
BOW BANDIT
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas and Old Mexico

Dont stalk if you dont want rouin someone else hunt. you wont know were they are at.
BOW BANDIT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #20
bigrack25
Nubbin' Buck

True... Does anyone know how many hunters are one the refuge at one time (during the archery hunt, Jan 5-8)?
Old 11-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #21
Towboater
Four Point

Hunt In: Cameron & Willacy County

Dont know how many but i hunted here on Nov 3-6 and was never busted by another hunter like they are doing at Atascosa.
Towboater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #22
Towboater
Four Point

That would be hard to do cause everthing is really dry. It look like everything I step on was super crunchy just made to much noise.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #23
CoolArrow
Ten Point

towboater, how did the hunt go? I will do the hunt in Jan. 5-8.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #24
CoolArrow
Ten Point

bigrack...stalking here is hard. If you don't have a tripod or a pop-up let me know i have one you can borrow. i will also hunt Jan. 5-8. hunted atascosa this week.....saw more hunters than deer!
Old 12-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #25
Towboater
Four Point

The frist day had a small buck stop ten yards in front of my stand but he saw me when I started to draw my bow. I only hunted mornings and everyday that I hunted I had a group of doe and small bucks pass by the stand. They where 40 yards away using another trail nearby. So I would change spots closer to that trail and the they would use the opposite one just out of bow range again. Thats ok though I will be back out there for the muzzleloader hunt I will get them then.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #26
bigrack25
Nubbin' Buck

Ive got a gorilla pop up that im thinking about setting up in a funnel between 20 and 30Thanks though. Im taking my 16 yr old cousin on the youth hunt on the east lake tract on Sunday. Wish us luck. I took him last year and he got nelgai fever and couldnt pull it off. Hope it goes better this year.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:09 AM   #27
bigrack25
Nubbin' Buck

typing this while driving down with some buddies from Kingsville after watching the cardinals lose. good game.....
Old 12-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #28
bigrack25
Nubbin' Buck

ive never hunted this area during Jan. im assuming the rut will still be on or atleast on the tail end of it... Im going to try to rattle something in this sunday, hope it works.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #29
Diamondstud6
Spike

Just finished my hunt today. Had been pretty slow At the start of The hunt but today they were moving around pretty good. Saw a few deer moving around but nothing I was interested in. Then this nilgai cow stepped out at about 25 yards. Perfect shot ran about 60 yards and died.

Diamondstud6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #30
Sideler
Ten Point

Good Job!!!
Sideler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #31
Poco
Pope & Young

Awesome kill for a DYI hunt.

Ray
Old 12-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #32
93racer
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere i can

good job ds us that the area north of 186?
93racer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #33
chancito1
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas/Kempner

Not to bad for a rookie nilgai hunter! Next time don't let your help drive all the way home because you thought it was just a little bigger than a deer! She's huge
chancito1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #34
T-Bolt
Ten Point

Awesome! Congrat's!

*T-Bolt*
T-Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #35
surfin Pete
Four Point

Nilgai- Awesome!
surfin Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #36
germinator
Four Point

Hunt In: West Texas and NM

Sweet....i will be hunting there in Jan. cant wait, will be my first time hunting in South Texas.
germinator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #37
CoolArrow
Ten Point

thursday morning saw a huge 11 pt. buck at 15 yrds tried to draw but he knew something was up. buck walked about 3 steps and turned and faced me took another 2 or 3 steps towards me and stopped and looked up! game over. friday... tried to stop a nice 8pt but he ignored me and kept running with his nose to the ground. passed on a yearling doe about 15 yrds. Only hunted two days but very fun and exiciting. surprised I didn't see any nilgai.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #38
Bux n Dux
Nubbin' Buck

Anyone going this week ? Dec 3-6 2015
Bux n Dux is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-01-2015, 04:45 PM   #39
yanta61
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bee & Karnes county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bux n Dux View Post