Public Hunting Opportunities accessible by boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Hunting Opportunities accessible by boat

I've heard of several public land opportunities which are only accesible by boat and was wondering if anyone had any info on a couple of these. I just bought a new boat and would love to start looking into them. Thanks in advance.

I"ve done a little bit of research into hunting by boat. Some of the TWPD areas have islands in them with boating access such as Caddo Lake WMA outside of Marshall. I spoke with the resident biologist one year about hunting it and he said the island has a huge population of deer--primarily does and people have reported seeing as many as 40-50 everytime they've gone out! It's always sounded good to me as a bowhunter so I went up there one time but because of where the access boat ramp is and the lower lake levels I never made it to the island. Besides, I'm so terrified of snakes that I changed my mind!
    Toledo Bend WMA and Lake has several islands in it---and some of size! I also would imagine that it's pretty hilly since they are islands in the middle of that deep lake!
    Richland Creek Lake has an island with deer but I"ve never heard or read anything about people hunting it though I''m sure someone does!

Any of the major waterways\rivers that you can put a boat into you can hunt from but only as far as the 'normal' water level. I'd be checking with your local area Game Warden on the regs for this because it's a 'slippery slope' of laws ( and many times misunderstood) that regulate trespassing with general access to the public. It's quite a sore spot with landowners and boaters in certain areas!

If you do find anyplace of merit please keep me in the loop! I'd love to find a place 'inaccessible' to most and would love to hunt with access only by boat. I think it would be a trip! As long as I could overcome my fears of snakes that is!
    Pat

Comment

Some of the better hunting on Amistad is pretty much only accessable by boat....or a whole bunch of walking.

Comment

Working...
      X