Mathews Halon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mathews Halon

Well now that they are "officially" released I thought I would start a thread here to get thoughts on the new Halon released by Mathews for 2016. My request is that if you just hate Mathews, click the back button now.

Disclaimer: My observations are purely analysis having obviously not shot the bow yet and I'm a known Mathews Kool-Aid drinker. You have been warned lol.

So we have a 30" ATA bow with a new cam system and new riser that produces some respectable speeds.

My first reaction was 30" ATA.... really? Then I started thinking about it. Many agree the SB XT was one of the best hunting bows ever made by any manufacturer... and it was 31" ATA. As for string angle, with the huge cams I think it will be more like a 32 or even 33" bow much like the Hoyt Defiant design. So maybe I won't hate the ATA once I handle the bow.

Second reaction.... dang I like that riser. Caged and long. So should be consistent, tough, and stable. I also think this feeds back into the ATA. With a riser 26 7/8" riser this sucker might surprise those willing to not dismiss it. For reference that's longer than the Chill X riser by over an inch.

Then I saw the mass weight, and I had a funny reaction. The internet experts are going to tear it apart at 4.5#. Personally, if that number really gets your panties in a wad, you need to consider that women in the Olympics are shooting 7# mass weight bows for hours with no let off to boot. The HTR is 4.3#, Elite Impulse 31 is 4.2#, and the Defiant 30 is the lightest at 4# even. Then Halon is heavier, but by 3 - 8 ounces. I'm well aware that ounces are pounds, and pounds are hell in long trek environments. I'm also aware that accessories, quivers, and a ton of other things determine final weight of a hunting rig. Given that the weight doesn't scare me.

Speed... being an average to little less than average draw length (27") I appreciate some speediness. Its one of the things I've really enjoyed about my ChillR, its not overly sensitive but it gives me some zip to do some damage down range and be off on my range estimation by a few yards. ~ 248-350 is not a barn burner, but seems reasonable. The immediate argument will be that there are 350+ fps bows with higher brace heights. I don't think that's an unfair statement. Its also not unfair to state that those bows don't all have caged risers, risers of this length, or likely the force draw curves the Halon will have.

Then the cam system... so we get basically a hybrid, half AVS and half NoCam. I like it. I think its a good marriage, bumps the speeds up, but adds back in some of the NoCams forgiveness.

So overall... shootability will determine a lot for this bow I think. Its not the fastest thing on earth, but if it brings back the SB XT type shoot ability in a smooth, accurate, and in this case compact package with ample speed.... my ChillR is going to up for sale

They will be big sellers. Haters are going to hate.... The overall length of the bow and extra mass weight will give it the stability of a 33-34" conventional ATA bow........hide and watch.

Speed who cares, I still shoot a SB and it fires a 532 grain arrow a blistering 234 FPS!

Comment

No pics........ ;(

Comment

I want one!

Comment

Look pretty sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by AddisonOil View Post
            No pics........ ;(
            .... here ya go
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
              They will be big sellers. Haters are going to hate.... The overall length of the bow and extra mass weight will give it the stability of a 33-34" conventional ATA bow........hide and watch.

Speed who cares, I still shoot a SB and it fires a 532 grain arrow a blistering 234 FPS!
              I have same theory on the ATA... and as for the SB... its why my Chill R will go not my SB XT, just... can't .... turn .... loose... of it.

Comment

It seems to me that this is exactly what people have been asking for. I dig it but would be more likely to buy the no cam.

Comment

following

Comment

I went by the bow shop a few minutes ago and I have a Halon 5 LH in Lost OT on order.

A few observations:

First...it does not feel at all like a 4.5lb bow. It is balanced extremely well. I have shot a Monster 5 & 6 for years and the Monster feels like a heavier bow than the Halon. The Monster always had a tendency to want to roll forward in your hand...the Halon felt very balanced...I suspect due to the caged riser design.

The Halon approaches the speed of the Monster/Chill R but with a MUCH more forgiving and comfortable draw cycle.

The modules also have solid draw stops which offered a solid back wall for me...compared to the slightly mushy feel on the Monster.

The shorter ATA did not feel like an issue...with the longer riser and bigger cams it felt more like a 32-33" ATA bow.

Since I am a lefty drawing a RH bow has always felt awkward to me but I was extremely impressed with the bow overall. Now to sit back and wait for it to come in.

Comment

Originally posted by Closetohome View Post
                      The Halon approaches the speed of the Monster/Chill R but with a MUCH more forgiving and comfortable draw cycle.
                      Wow, because with 85% Rock Mods my Chill R is like buttery smooth.

The modules also have solid draw stops which offered a solid back wall for me...compared to the slightly mushy feel on the Monster.
                      This makes sense as it continues with the Rock Mod system which is pretty dang solid IMO.

Ugh, now I have to decided between the 5 and 6... 5 doesn't scare me... but worried about colder weather hunting being a problem with sleeves.

Comment

The only dislike I immediately see with the bow is mass weight. 4.5 without harmonic dampeners means about 4.7 or so with. Close to a 5 pound bow without anything on it. Other than that it looks great, speed is absolutely fine in all configurations, and being a Mathews it will be quiet and smooth. (Like most all bows these days). For stand hunting that weight isn't too big of a concern since most of us don't walk far to our setups. I don't know, but I think it's certainly the best looking bow they have put out in a while. May have to shoot one and see how those came feel.

Comment

It will definitely kill deer deader!

Comment

Originally posted by gpatterson View Post
                            It will definitely kill deer deader!

Comment

I went by the bow shop a few minutes ago and I have a Halon 5 LH in Lost OT on order.

A few observations:

First...it does not feel at all like a 4.5lb bow. It is balanced extremely well. I have shot a Monster 5 & 6 for years and the Monster feels like a heavier bow than the Halon. The Monster always had a tendency to want to roll forward in your hand...the Halon felt very balanced...I suspect due to the caged riser design.

The shorter ATA did not feel like an issue...with the longer riser and bigger cams it felt more like a 32-33" ATA bow.

Since I am a lefty drawing a RH bow has always felt awkward to me but I was extremely impressed with the bow overall. Now to sit back and wait for it to come in.
                              Awesome. Thank you for your thoughts on the Halon.

Comment

Working...
                              X