Sighting in Slug Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sighting in Slug Gun

I picked up a Savage 220, put a Nikon 2-7x32 Shotgun scope with the 200 yard BDC reticle on it. I need to go sight it in. What is everyones opinion on this, the scope instruction are to sight it in at 50 yards, and the your 4 dots should be close to 100,150,175, and 200 yards at 7X power. Everything I read says zero it in at 2.75" high at 50 yards and then you will be on at 100 yards. What is everyones opinion

I think I’d go with the 2.75 high at 50 and verify it at 100. It’s a good starting point.

Comment

Whats the point of a BDC reticle if not going to use it? I would follow the instructions and see what it does at those ranges. Start with it dead on at 50 fine tune it some at 100 then see where they fall out to 200 using the dots.

Comment

I'd follow the scope instructions

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
          Whats the point of a BDC reticle if not going to use it? I would follow the instructions and see what it does at those ranges. Start with it dead on at 50 fine tune it some at 100 then see where they fall out to 200 using the dots.
          I like the ideal of a bdc reticle but I don't like how the yardage changes when you change thr magnification of the scope

Comment

Follow the scope then verify

Comment

200 yards seems like a long shot with a slug. IMO

Comment

Leon should be here shortly her is the slug gun expert here.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Evil View Post
                  200 yards seems like a long shot with a slug. IMO

Not at all with today's modern slug guns reaching accuracy levels out to over 225+ yards with the right loads and a very experienced slug shooter who knows his/her equipment. I've got such equipment topped with a 4-12X. Bucks are killed every year with well placed shots in the right hands with the right combo. Right combo can easily hold 2" groups at 150. I'll let you figure out the MOA on that. And just count the slugs as leaving the barrel traveling at 1900 fps (a common speed for today's high performance sabot slugs). Some barrels preform better with slower velocities. Just like any gun, it all depends on what diet the gun likes and the skill/experience of the shooter.

Some states only allow slug guns during the general deer season.

Comment

Nikon has an online program "SPOT ON" that will help you in advance. I would zero your shotgun dead on at 100 and then manually confirm the up at 50 and then all your drops at 125 out to 200. Modern slug ammo and that Savage will easily do the trick at that range.

As for the magnification- you are stuck with being on 7x b/c its a SFP scope. Doubt you'll find a FFP that will hold up on a slug gun without laying down some cash.

I spent many years hunting in slug only areas-- the 20ga was my go to, I had great results with the Winchester 20ga Partition Golds and the Remington Copper Solids.

Comment

Carey, that is why I prefer to avoid BDC reticals. And just use regular rifle reticals with a range finder. I've already confirmed the ballistics on my load. And know the holdover with it. So all I have to do is know the distance, hold over, and shoot.

If I were you, I'd just sight your new scope in like the instructions say for now. And test it at various distances to confirm the retical matches your load. If it doesn't, just take note of what it does. Later, after you learn what the gun can do at different yardages, and what your capable of with it, then maybe think about a change. That will get you through your hunt for now, allow you to learn the gun and what it likes/doesn't like, and give you something to think about after the season is over.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                        Carey, that is why I prefer to avoid BDC reticals. And just use regular rifle reticals with a range finder. I've already confirmed the ballistics on my load. And know the holdover with it. So all I have to do is know the distance, hold over, and shoot.

If I were you, I'd just sight your new scope in like the instructions say for now. And test it at various distances to confirm the retical matches your load. If it doesn't, just take note of what it does. Later, after you learn what the gun can do at different yardages, and what your capable of with it, then maybe think about a change. That will get you through your hunt for now, allow you to learn the gun and what it likes/doesn't like, and give you something to think about after the season is over.
                        I will definitely verify out to 150 yards. I was able to land some 2 3/4 Remington Accutips , Federal Trophy Copper, Hornaday Custom Lites, Winchester Dual Bond, and some 3" Remington Expander and Winchester Partition Gold. Hopefully it will shoot one of these good

Comment

Dang you were able to find a good assortment ! The BDC may only be set up for one the loads you have. I have what is probably the same scope on mine and it's a good one. My intention was to use the hash marks and sighted in that way with the Federal copper premiums which really kick azz. I haven't used a BDC enough to really get used to it and sometimes fall back on Kentucky windage. Suggest you sight in according to the scope instructions and verify impact. Nice gun and scope setup by the way.

Comment

I have the same scope on my slug gun. I didn't have access to a 100 yard range that would let me shoot a shotgun so I dialed it in 2" high at 50 yards. I have the Spot on installed on my Android and it is pretty nifty since it has the two Sabot loads I use listed and the POI on both loads are identical. I took two slickheads last year with my slug gun.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                              I will definitely verify out to 150 yards. I was able to land some 2 3/4 Remington Accutips , Federal Trophy Copper, Hornaday Custom Lites, Winchester Dual Bond, and some 3" Remington Expander and Winchester Partition Gold. Hopefully it will shoot one of these good
                              If your gun likes the Remington accutips, I may have some. My gun didn't like them.

Comment

Working...
                              X