7mm rem mag users....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7mm rem mag users....

Getting ready to pick up a 7mm mag. I've always wanted one but have never owned or hunted with one....save one hunt 2 seasons ago....
    talk to me about opinions on a good bullet choice to hunt with ......mostly around 100-150 yards but with realistic potential of up to 300-350. deer sized game with maybe an exotic thrown into the mix from time to time. I really like the 139gr-140gr weights but if better options are out there.........convince me

And no, I don't reload

160 gr Nosler partition. federal premium.

My browning a-bolt shoots them 1/2-1/4 moa. No modifications to the rifle other than a $15 Timney trigger spring replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RJK70 View Post
      160 gr Nosler partition. federal premium.

My browning a-bolt shoots them 1/2-1/4 moa. No modifications to the rifle other than a $15 Timney trigger spring replacement.

Sorry, did not see the deer sized game part. If they are hill country size the 160 partition will kill them but might not expand.

Comment

140’s would be just fine. For deer at less than say 400 yards I wouldn’t over think the bullet too much see what your rifle likes and go hunt

Comment

Get a few boxes. I shoot Federal Premium Sierra Game Kings 165's just because they shoot awesome. I would pick up Noslers, Federal Premiums, in a few different grain/combinations of bullet type. Then hit the range with a sled and see how it likes each one.

Comment

The 139 grain bullet is more than sufficient here in Texas. Before I went back to bow hunting, I hunted with a 7 mag and never had a deer go more than 20 yards. 90+% dropped where they stood. Back then I was shooting Hornady.

Comment

160 Nosler Accubond

Comment

some bullet weights will be much more accurate than others depending on the twist of your barrel. tighter the twist the heavier the bullet it will like. Id go buy several weights and see what seems to shoot the best.

Comment

I shoot Federal Premium BTSP 150 grain they shoot great in my gun. They are hard to find they changed to 160 grain in stores. Ordered from Cabelas. Hunted deer never had a issue they work great. Love my 7 Mag.

Comment

All I use is hornady superformance, the 139 Grain has dropped deer from north to south Texas and even in Mexico.

Comment

Remington 150 gr. Core Lokts work the best in my sendero. As mentioned, All depends on the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                        Remington 150 gr. Core Lokts work the best in my sendero. As mentioned, All depends on the gun.
                        Same here...but mine is a regular Remington 700 with some mods (trigger, stock, re-crown, bedded). Never shot anything else...and i've killed everything from elk to blackbuck with it.

Comment

This is what I started using this year. 3-shoot Group. 100

Comment

I have been shooting a Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag for 28 years as my go to smoke pole. 24" barrel with a 1in 9" twist rate. It shoots 1/2" groups at 200 yards with 160 grain Nosler Partition and Accubond's.

For the 139 - 140 gr's I would look to get a 1 in 10" twist rate.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                              Same here in my 700 BDL. I was comfortable to 400 yards. Everything I shot was DRT. Worse mistake ever was selling the gun.

Comment

Working...
                              X