Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by systemnt View Post

too sharp?
    Not even sure thats a real thing when talking about skinning knife.. or any knife for that matter.
    You got guns that are too loaded?

dont hold an edge?
    they are replaceable blades.
    X2
    Replaceable and cheap....too easy. No more sharpening blades with wet stones.

Comment

My fav and they come in various sizes ..Use for skin/cape/gut...When tip gets dull just snap off and your good to go..There cheap enough to throw away but take apart wash with soap and water dry and splash of WD45 and there good to go ...otherwise the rust...Get them at Amaz/SW paint store and many other places..
      There light when blad is in its totally safe and with blade just sticking out enough to skin/gut its still safer cauese you can only cut yourself the dept it sticks out...There light and small and cheap eand always nice to have for spare in Backpack
      Hyde Tools 42045 Auto-Lock Snap-Off Retractable Blade Utility Knife, 9mm
      Last edited by cva34; 03-09-2018, 08:55 AM.

Comment

http://tytoknives.com/

Here's an alternative that hasn't been mentioned. I've been nothing but pleased with mine. The blades lock up firmly and there is no fold-up mechanism to get nasty from blood that can't be cleaned out. It weighs 1.1 ounces, so it's perfect for the hunter who has to carry gear deep into the woods. Finally, this is a small business and the knives are made in the USA.

Comment

I like my havalon but I learned that its best for de-boning. I tried it while skinning and the blade has a tendency to pop off if the back end get hung up.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post

too sharp?
            Not even sure thats a real thing when talking about skinning knife.. or any knife for that matter.
            You got guns that are too loaded?

dont hold an edge?
            they are replaceable blades.
            I’ll be honest they are “to sharp” for me. I don’t believe for the same reason as above but they scare the hell out of me because I tend to go to fast. I use my carry knife for most things and have the havalon on stand by for certain portions.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
              I have been watching Youtube reviews on both. I am real close to the Outdoor Edge because the blade change looks easier. I have never been able to sharpen a knife good enough to skin and quarter two deer without it getting dull.

I have BOTH, the havalon and the outdoor edge and i prefer the outdoor edge.
              Its blades are much easier to change when needed and mine has the fold away curved skinning/gut blade on the back. I find the havalon cuts better but you need pliers to get the blade off without cutting yourself.

I do have a havalon bone saw with replaceable blades. Now that is a bad arse blade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Havalon Hydra is a perfect 10. No issues with holding an edge. 4 deer on one (no caping) is the norm. 1-2 if caping.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                  Can only speak for the Havalon. Use mine all the time. Love it. Blades are extremely sharp out of the package, but dont stay sharp too long. Can skin/qtr up one deer and then its time for a new blade. I do it like it a lot though.
                  same here

Comment

Both the Outdoor Edge and the Havalon are excellent knives and each have their uses.

Comment

Outdoor edge all the way. Very tough, easy to change blades. Can sharpen them but why bother. Takes 15 seconds to change blades and comes with 6

Comment

I have two Havalon, my lease guys have Outdoor edge. Both have good and bad. Just the opposite of Louis blade change on Outdoor harder to do at least for the guys on my lease. Havalon real easy with small flat nose pliers. Keep the pliers in the case with knife and extra blades. Can't go wrong with either I don't think just beware they are sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                          Which one? Outdoor Edge, Havalon, Gerber etc.? Which one do you like and why?? Or tried and disliked. Thanks

I’ve been extremely satisfied with the Outdoor Edge. I’d recommend.

Comment

i have the havalon Piranta and the Havalon saw. like them both. big difference is outdoor edge has the blade back bone.

i would suggest having some major caution when using, one slip and hospital will be reattaching your hand. i joked last time that i wish i had some oyster shucking gloves made of chainmail.

Comment

Tytos knives to me is the best one on the market. I love the handle. And to me the blades stay sharper than the havalon. I skin more than 100 animals a season.

Comment

ive only had havalon... however was recently speaking to a taxidermist and he said, sure havalons are great but medical scalpels are the same thing and have more blade attachments and you can also buy more for way cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                                X