Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do we do? He's 5. Hard to let him walk...but I want to.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
    Incredible deer. I have a question for both of you though. I never have had any deer that have ever thrown any drop tines to speak of. We had a real pretty deer last year that had matching double drops. This year he has one small drop on his left and clean on the right. Is there a good chance that he will throw double drops again in the future? Last year they were 6-7" perfectly matching drops and this year it is probably a 2-3" drop. Can post pics for reference if you want.

Encinal, that is an incredible deer. Best of luck in whatever you decide.
    My experience is that drop tines come and go. Overall we are seeing more drop tines in the last few years than ever. I can remember most of my life only dreaming to see one. Now, because of higher nutrition and better age structure they are more common on our properties.

That said we rarely see a specific buck carry a drop tines every yr. I have one on my ranch now that has had a drop tine with every rack thru his 6th year last year. Rather they seem to come and go or maybe pop up one yr. to never reappear. WE shot a 12 yr old couple yrs ago that had 6 drops. He had only had a drop tine one other time when he was 6.

Like you I'm interested in Marco's experience.

Comment

I would let him walk until he get's to 7-1/2. Hopefully he gets better with age and we don't have a drought. Awesome buck
      Marco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Stick to you guns and let him walk.

Comment

I don't understand the trepidation. You fellers need some help shooting deer.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
            I don't understand the trepidation. You fellers need some help shooting deer.

Comment

Beautiful deer, and that is a hard decision even under the best management plan. However knowing your history and potential, I think letting him walk and breed is the correct call. Push the limits of the deer and see what he can do, hopefully you find the sheds and can mount them.

Comment

It seems like over the years on our farm in Missouri we will have pictures of bucks with drops every now and then but they almost always break them off early in the season

Comment

He will never be a super - giant if you kill him when he's just a giant.

Can't wait to see pics of him next year.

Comment

Having had the success and the herd acheivements that you've had in the past, I think I know where you're coming from. You start to look for certain attributes in deer that make you happy. If you would like to have a 7 drop deer on your ranch house wall, kill it. The likelyhood of it throwing that many in the future is very low, and too many factors come into play. His genes are already out there aplenty I'm sure. Will you feel guilty about the "manager" inside you not following your program if you pull the trigger?

Comment

Really tough call there. He is something. I don't know anything about your place etc, hi fence, neighbors etc. Gonna be a gamble either way. I would be tempted to take him if he was all intact no, broken points etc. But if your place is hi fence & you can be pretty sure he stays with you, definitely changes the situation. Good luck with your decision.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                        My experience is that drop tines come and go. Overall we are seeing more drop tines in the last few years than ever. I can remember most of my life only dreaming to see one. Now, because of higher nutrition and better age structure they are more common on our properties.

That said we rarely see a specific buck carry a drop tines every yr. I have one on my ranch now that has had a drop tine with every rack thru his 6th year last year. Rather they seem to come and go or maybe pop up one yr. to never reappear. WE shot a 12 yr old couple yrs ago that had 6 drops. He had only had a drop tine one other time when he was 6.

Like you I'm interested in Marco's experience.

Drops come in several varieties IMO.

Injury drops are the most common (sometimes beam droop drops as well but those aren't drops)

Mid beam drops. Generally in my experience, if a deer has a mid beam drop young and repeats it in the next year (or shows an under beam ridge) he's going to have a drop again. If a deer doesn't pop a drop until he is 6... I'm more inclined to shoot him because he is less likely to do it again.

I treat drops he same way I treat inline points. If they get them young, I'll leave them even if they lose them for a couple of years, just because I know if everything gun goes right, it will probably show back up.

Sown drops are more repeatable than others. Drops before the g-2 seem to be less repeatable for whatever reason.

I actually was expecting/hoping this deer to throw drops on his left side at some point because of his beam shape/under beam ridge line. I'm glad he did.

One of the largest values for me that no one has mentioned yet is the enjoyment of having a live deer like this running around to look at. That's a big part of it for me and my hunters. You can't afford to take every girl home from the bar, but it adds something to the experience to have a really good looking one that's a regular at the bar you go to.

Sent from my Walkie Talkie using Tapatalk.

Comment

The deer has a 24" spread, mass from base to tip, a minimum of 18 points, AT LEAST 6 DROP TINES, ooohhhh mmmyyy ggooodneeesss! What more could you want? That deer is the Apex of what every hunters wants. I don't understand some of you fellers. The only question is, where are you gonna setup to take him?

Unbelievable

He has to be close to 200"

Comment

Originally posted by mjbtexas View Post
                            do you have pics of the old buck? cool to know!!

Low fence, non-fed native deer from the early 80's.

We have a repro of him on the wall. Can you imagine what he would have looked like on feed??? Yeesh.

Notice the flat under beam ridge?? For whatever reason, if you fine a shed like that, or see a deer with that in our country, you will see him throw drops when he gets older much of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post

Low fence, non-fed native deer from the early 80's.

We have a repro of him on the wall. Can you imagine what he would have looked like on feed??? Yeesh.

Notice the flat under beam ridge?? For whatever reason, if you fine a shed like that, or see a deer with that in our country, you will see him throw drops when he gets older much of the time.

Wow! Truly awesome!

Comment

i haven't killed a deer that big so i would kill him on my place. I'd let him walk if he lived on my property full time and if i have killed close to or bigger. Great deer

Comment

Working...
                                X