Barn find Bike Build......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barn find Bike Build......

I have been seeing a few bikes in an old barn on our deer lease for several years now and finally had to ask. And it was easy as that the answer was if you want them get em , well don't twist my arm. We lease from a great family and they said I could have them and even had the title. So I went and got my trailer and loaded them up for the trip home. One is a 1980 Suzuki GS750L and the other is a 2000 Yamaha WR250. This build is the Suzuki , the bike had been sitting for many years and had mice living in the airbox along with wasps and dobber nests all over it. I have always rode bikes and worked on them some ( but nothing like I was about to get into )and wasn't sure what I was going to do. First off I hit the carwash and got the crust off them and started researching the bike on YouTube and looking over the repair book. I was told that the bike only had minor issues before it was parked , so I just started with the obvious and needed fuel , air and spark........

,,,Sam,,,

Let's see pics!

Comment

In for pics

Comment

I had a GS750L back in the 80's and I still ride and wrench on a Japanese inline four with carbs. That bike is all-day riding comfortable, stable, and pulls strong enough to be fun.

I'm in north Austin, so let me know if you need a hand getting the GS back on the road.

I have the carb balancing tools for when you get to that stage of the work, too.
        Last edited by banzai; 08-17-2017, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Would love to get the carbs balanced , trying to get pics up now ( just loaded imgur , and working on it )..

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok just got Tapatalk on my phone so more pics now , next was a trip to the car wash.

Comment

I then started the tear down , found many chewed up wires and bad parts during the process but nothing that can't be fixed or cleaned up. I also had the help of my son and it seems he is getting an interest in bikes much to the dismay of my wife. So I know it's getting fuel and air and spark but won't fire up , so now the learning begins for me...

Comment

You gonna rat-rod this one like you did the last one? Or are you going back original?

Comment

Mufflers could be plugged by dirt dobbers.
                    If it's been sitting that long the rings maybe stuck. Need to pull plugs and dump a little oil in each cylinder let it sit overnight. Pull the air box or air filters and stick your hand over the throats of the carbs and try to start it.

Comment

Since you didn't say exactly what work you have done up to now, forgive me if you have already done the following suggestions. I assume that the starter will spin the engine (not mentioned in your post).

From there, double check that every spark plug is firing by laying it on the head and visually verifying a good blue spark. Is the battery new and strong?

Next double check fuel presence and quality. In a very well ventilated area, squirt a small amount of brand new fresh gasoline into each cylinder and quickly installing the spark plugs. Spin the starter.

If you have good sparks, at least some of the gasoline fumes in the cylinders should fire up and at least make a chuff noise and kick the engine over a little. If it fires up strong momentarily, then you know that most of your work from this point will be carbs and gas tank related.

Post up what you find.

Comment

Comment

Gona be a rat bike , got it fired over the problem was safety switches so I know it will run now onto everything else. Piece by piece a little at a time and the deeper I dig the more I find to fix. The carbs were a basket case mice were living in the airbox and the front of all four carbs ( plenty of poop also ). Many of the wires were chewed up in the harness so I fixed what I found and as I went. This turned into the entire harness out of the bike and totally redone. Pulled the carbs and complete tear down and cleaning , talk about a pain in the butt

Comment

Comment

I'm a big fan of rat rods...following.

Comment

Working...
                              X