Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home made tiller boat motor handle extention.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home made tiller boat motor handle extention.

A few years ago I put decks in my little flat bottom boat. And I recently started running it in the flats looking for reds. I wanted to be able to stand up on the rear deck while I cruise around the flats so I could locate fish from a more elevated position. So I needed a longer tiller handle and a grab bar to hold onto to keep me in the boat just in case I run up on a bar or reef. And like the rest of y'all diy folks I refuse to pay a bunch of money for something that I can build myself. So I tried PVC for an extention and it worked but didn't look very good so I started brain storming and came up with a better alternative. [ATTACH]515855
    Attached Files

I cut the end off an aluminum bat. It still fit a little loose so I cut a piece of 2" PVC about 3" long and put s split in it so it could expand a little. [ATTACH]515856
    The bat is a tapered fit so I didn't even have to fasten it. I sprayed it inside and out with some rattle can bed liner and voila. Cheap, strong, effective. [ATTACH]515857
    Attached Files

Comment

genius

Comment

Well that's freaking cool as heck..nice!!

Comment

you finally found use for that bat which could not get the ball over the fence!!LOL. Nice homebrew.

Comment

Originally posted by bronco611 View Post
            you finally found use for that bat which could not get the ball over the fence!!LOL. Nice homebrew.
            ; ) yes sir. Thanks guys.

Comment

I got my grab bar built last night too. I decided to add a few rod holders to it. Hope to get it painted and mounted tonight. It's 1-3/4 header pipe.

Comment

[attach]515861
                Attached Files

Comment

Very nice. I've been thinking about making one of these also.

Comment

Great idea!!

Comment

Love the idea, been wanting to make an extension and was going to use PVC, rethinking it now.

How did you cut the bat?
                      Trying to think what else I could use in place of a bat

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                        Love the idea, been wanting to make an extension and was going to use PVC, rethinking it now.

How did you cut the bat?
                        Trying to think what else I could use in place of a bat
                        I used a chop saw but its an aluminum bat and could be cut easily with a hack saw.

Comment

Originally posted by Ca$ey View Post
                          I used a chop saw but its an aluminum bat and could be cut easily with a hack saw.
                          Great thats what I wanted to hear, thanks

Comment

hmmm, I too use a piece of pvc. I know exactly where theres a t-ball size bat laying in the yard that the kids probably forgot is there. time for some fabb'in

Comment

Originally posted by expressfish View Post
                              hmmm, I too use a piece of pvc. I know exactly where theres a t-ball size bat laying in the yard that the kids probably forgot is there. time for some fabb'in
                              Yep that's where I got the idea. Tired of picking it up when I mow. But I actually used a base ball bat they are a little longer I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X