Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broken or not broken? My son's wrist....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
    gotcha, I appreciate it. I expected it to be swollen pretty good if there was a break, and if there is any swelling its very slight.
    Actually with wrist injuries, not unlike ankles, you may have more swelling with a sprain/strain type injury than a fracture. A scaphoid fracture, for example, may have no swelling at all. That being stated, I think little man will be just fine! Good luck.

Comment

I'm no doctor but I did take anatomy in college and have seen plenty of my own xrays. Doesn't look broken to me

Comment

I’m not any help reading that X-ray but for reference I can provide an X-ray of one that was broken
        Attached Files

Comment

Calrob are you looking at the growth plates as fractures?

I don't see anything obvious and agree with CastandBlast.

I am just an xray tech though, not really qualified to diagnose (that would be radiologist)

Comment

Your sons growth plates are still open, but looks like he may have a Salter Harris fx. Its a fracture within the growth plate. They will probably put in a splint for a month

Comment

If your son is a bow hunter, I hope that hand is his draw hand, not his hold hand. Good luck you guys.

Comment

Looks clear of fracture

Can’t really tell with growth plates they are always irregular. Need a cat scan to confirm any fracture with those xrays

Comment

Could have been way worse.

Glad it seems he’s ok. Broken both my scaphoid bones in my wrists and chipped a bone off in my hand that had to be wired in. Scaphoid sucks to break takes forever to heal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Never knew the wrist had so many moving parts. Lots of stuff to break............

Comment

Well, I was going to offer my expert opinion but I don’t want to steal the thunder from the other guys that have already beat me to it! ��

Comment

He need some milk

Comment

I slept at a Holiday Inn last night and that **** looks ****ed up to me.

Seriously, I hope your little guy didnt mess it up. Ive got a plate and 12 screws holding my left wrist together. It wasnt fun.

Comment

I am going to say by the symptoms and the looks of those x-rays. No broken bones. But likely sprained. Sprains can be more painful and longer to heal than broken bones. I have had plenty of broken bones and sprains and all types of other injuries, that I did not go to the doctor for.

If the joint is stiff, hurts to move, sounds like a sprain. Kind of hard to break a joint, possible to dislocate some joints, like a shoulder, hip or knee.

When it swells up big and turns a combination of green, with some dark purple, it's broke. The green coloring seems to be bone marrow leaking out. Just my theory. Broke numerous bones, most every time, whatever I broke swelled up very large and had a green tint to the area where the bone was broken. When I blew up my left knee, it just swelled up about the size of a volley ball or basket ball. I don't remember any green coloring that time.

I have sprained both of my ankles, both times, after a couple days, it looked like someone had tattooed a ladder up my leg from my ankle, in dark purple. My buddy had the same results when his ankle got sprained. Not sure about a sprained wrist, as to whether it would do the same.

I would bet it's going to be sore for quite a while, but not broken.

Comment

What Andy said. Ice it and wrap it up in an ACE bandage and he will be fine in a few day. If it still hurts after that, rub some dirt on it.

Comment

Not broken. Those are growth plates that look like breaks. They grow in around 17-19yo. Wrist looks ok to me. If anything it’d be soft tissue injury, but likely nothing major. (12 years ortho trauma rep. Probably been in over 5,000 wrist fracture cases...). Good luck and let us know what doc says

Comment

Working...
                                X