Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford 7.3 1st major problem

Sounds like the first major problem with the 7.3 Godzilla is popping up
    The coil wires are leaving people stranded, and Ford is having lots of problems with servicing the problem With no spare parts
    The video

Hope this bug can be sorted out soon
    Chime in if you have 7.3 and have any issues yet
    P.s just saw the temporary fix is buying and carrying a 6.2 coil wire it’s to long but
    Will work in a pinch
    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 09-17-2020, 09:29 PM.

$80K (or more) "new" trucks already having problems with no solutions by manufacturer

Another reason I will keep driving my 99 Tacoma

I would be LIVID if I spent as much as these new ones cost and had issues like this

Not to mention the "death wobble" ford is known for

Comment

Ram not looking so bad now lol.
      Can chevy build a tranny yet?
      I would be a millionaire if I would have invested all the $ I spent on chevrolet transmissions

Comment

This is why I'll never buy any vehicle in the 1st year of production. All the new whiz bang stuff and they can't get a coil wire on a push rod v8 to work...

Comment

That guy's info in that video is largely BS. If you have a coil, plug wire or plug go bad, on a vehicle, you will not have problems with cracking a block, or any of the other things he listed. You will have a miss, the engine will run rough, lack power.

Yea, For has not made plug wires for any producing vehicle in a while, so I guess, they Fd up and bought plug wires from whoever they have had making the Ford Racing wires, those wires have been junk since day one, most everybody knows it but Ford keeps selling them. The older Motorcraft wires, used to be good wires.

As for what will happen, if you have a plug wire/coil wire go bad. Once the computer figures out that there is a problem with a given cylinder, it will shut off that coil and that injector. So no, you won't wash the cylinder down with fuel and destroy the rings. Ford has done that since 1999, when they first came out with COPs. Which are coil on plugs, back when they stopped making plug wires. The only plug wires they have sold since are those POS Ford Racing wires. Kind of looking like whatever Chinese company they have had making those Ford Racing wires, they got them to make the plug wires for this engine.

I have dealt with bad COPs for years, when you replace those, you have to drive the vehicle a mile or two for the computer, to figure out there is now a good coil in place of the previously misfiring coil. Once the computer figures out the coil is good, it will start firing that injector again. First couple of times, I replaced bad COPs, when I first started the vehicle and it was running exactly the same, I was afraid I had replaced the wrong part, but then drove the vehicle anyway, hoping it would clear out. Every time, within two miles, the injector starts firing again and the engine goes back to running properly.

Right now a lot of parts from a lot of companies are on back order, really bad timing for Ford, new engine and can't get parts for it. But then this has happened many times before with other problems, on first year production vehicles. When a company has a new product out, whether is is a whole new vehicle, or just a new engine or new body. there will always be problems. Usually some of those problems will affect most of the vehicles with that part, that will cause the part to go on back order very fast. The manufactures, don't ever seem to plan for new parts, they have not previously used to go bad right off.

I also worked at a GM dealer for a while. During that time, GM had some bad passenger's side air bag wiring harnesses. Those wiring harnesses were on back order for a long time. We had many customers who refused to driver their cars, once they were informed about the air bag wiring harness recall. GM refused to put them in rentals or loaners. They would have gone broke, if they did so. That was a daily problem for many months. It got old very quickly, as some people flipped out, when they found out about the recall. There was nothing we could do, but they wanted the world to stop and revolve around them.

Comment

Love my 7.3
            v
            v
            v
            v
            But it's a 1997

DWC

Comment

A good friend of mine's new F250 quit on him on a trip to Corpus pulling his travel trailer. We were down there the weekend of 9/4, and his truck is still in Robstown, they say they will have plug wires on Oct 6.

I told him to find another plug wire from a previous ford that would plug on, and replace them to get it home.

I wonder if there is an aftermarket wire that will do the job?

Comment

I haven't had a problem yet with about 2400 miles. Here's my question, if you get broke down and have a replacement how would you know what cylinder is the problem? You would need a code reader I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
                  This is why I'll never buy any vehicle in the 1st year of production. All the new whiz bang stuff and they can't get a coil wire on a push rod v8 to work...

Which is why I bought a leftover 19 6.7 diesel for basically the same price as the 7.3 gasser. I know I’ll have to throw ~$600 at the front end at some point to cure the wobble- I’m good with that.

I’m intrigued with the 7.3 and the 10 speed tranny, just gonna wait until any bugs are worked out first.

I’m thinking any coil wire should work- or a safer bet is the 6.2 pack to get you by.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    A good friend of mine's new F250 quit on him on a trip to Corpus pulling his travel trailer. We were down there the weekend of 9/4, and his truck is still in Robstown, they say they will have plug wires on Oct 6.

I told him to find another plug wire from a previous ford that would plug on, and replace them to get it home.

I wonder if there is an aftermarket wire that will do the job?
                    Dr google. Says to try the 6.2 wire temporally, if you can figure out what cylinders are out. I would think the ford service people would know about that?
                    Wonder what makes multiple cylinders go out at same time? Seems strange

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                      I haven't had a problem yet with about 2400 miles. Here's my question, if you get broke down and have a replacement how would you know what cylinder is the problem? You would need a code reader I believe.
                      My friend had his scanned and it gave cylinder #s that were in a misfire state.

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                      Dr google. Says to try the 6.2 wire temporally, if you can figure out what cylinders are out. I would think the ford service people would know about that?
                      Wonder what makes multiple cylinders go out at same time? Seems strange
                      The ford service people couldn't even tell us how they numbered the cylinders...

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                        It probably like the toilet paper COVID rush , better go buy some spare wires Incase it brakes down and the dealership is out of stock . That seems to be the message “be prepared So they can get you on the road home

Comment

I just emailed the dealer I bought our 550 from about getting a set of wires on order, and other potential fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                            Which is why I bought a leftover 19 6.7 diesel for basically the same price as the 7.3 gasser. I know I’ll have to throw ~$600 at the front end at some point to cure the wobble- I’m good with that.

I’m intrigued with the 7.3 and the 10 speed tranny, just gonna wait until any bugs are worked out first.

I’m thinking any coil wire should work- or a safer bet is the 6.2 pack to get you by.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            I went from a 12 6.7 3/4 ton to a 2020 6.7 1 ton and that 10 speed tranny is sick with the diesel.

I looked at the 7.3 but I pull a 5th wheel too much with my family to worry about it having to work out kinks.

Comment

A friend had this happen on his 7.3 several weeks ago and sent me a text stating he hoped it didn’t happen to mine (2020 6.7). I told him I was good. He replied, “I know you are now. Just a heads up fore the future.” I just said thanks. ��

Comment

Working...
                              X