No announcement yet.

Ranch Cabin Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since August 22nd I have made 3 straight weekends out to the ranch! We have made much progress.

The weekend of the 22nd My wife and our friends Kyle and Amy came out with me. Kyle and I went on Friday afternoon and the girls were to meet us Saturday morning. On Friday Kyle and I finished the walls in the Loft. On Saturday morning we got the loft windows trimmed out. When the girls arrived they stained the kitchen Cabinets. After that we enjoyed the rest of the weekend just hanging out!

The weekend of August 29th Andy and I went out. We were able to get 1/2 of the ceiling tin installed and the kitchen counter tops installed. We also got the kitchen back splash installed. We pre cut the ceiling tin for the loft. The panels that we used for the ceiling were 16ft long and getting them installed with only 2 people in 14ft tall open living room was very difficult, but we get it done.

Last weekend my wife and I went back. She and I were able to get the remaining ceiling panels installed, and trimmed out the walls along the ceiling and floors. Next we installed the antler chandelier in the living room. I converted it to 12v and connected it the the solar array. It turned out to be way to bright with all 6 bulbs, we ended up unscrewing 3 of them so only 3 illuminate with plenty of light. Next we hung the various mounts I brought from home to decorate the walls. The wife did a great job arranging them, it looks spectacular! Next we mounted the fire alarm, fire extinguisher and the Heater.

We are officially ready for flooring in the cabin!!!!

Work has also began on the deck extension project. My neighbors guys have welded up the new deck and put up the porch roof rafters. this wee they should have that completed (I will just need to install the deck boards and railing) They are also going to skin 3 sides of the Saloon, leaving the front open for me to make the Saloon facade when I am ready. In the mean time it will act as a garage for the can-am and 4 wheeler.
    Attached Files

Comment

Awesome progress !!! Love following this thread. Did you insulate the ceiling, just wondering ?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
        Awesome progress !!! Love following this thread. Did you insulate the ceiling, just wondering ?
        I did not add any insulation on the ceiling. If I need to it can be added later pretty easy because the panels are screwed in. I felt like with the metal roof heat is reflected away. And in the winter it really doesn't get cold enough to need to have that insulated to keep in the heat. I could be completely wrong on this and I will know pretty quickly as winter is approaching quickly. If it is an issue adding rigid foam will be pretty easy.

Comment

Outstanding progress!!

Comment

Wow!

Comment

We are going this weekend to install new deck boards under the new covered porch on the east side. We will also begin framing out the add on deck and shed on the West side of the cabin.
              Will post photos of the progress next week.

Updated Cabin Plan:
              Attached Files

Comment

Great to see! Y’all enjoy!

Comment

Looks amazing, hadn’t found the thread till today and man have you made some serious progress! Gonna be living vicariously through you, one day I hope to do something similar.

Comment

Well it was a great weekend at the ranch! Last week I purchased all the deck boards for the new larger East side of the cabin porch. I also purchased 31 boxes of 14mm thick laminate flooring grey in color for the inside of the cabin. The goal for this past weekend was to deliver and stack the Laminate flooring inside the cabin, dd gussets and railing on the porch perimeter, install the top 2X6 decking, and work on the framing of the expanded west side deck and storage shed. I am starting to notice that my goals throughout this project have always been far to ambitious for only two people to accomplish, and this weekend was no exception. BUT if you aim high you get more accomplished then you would otherwise.

The last time Andy and I went out the ranch we brought back the 4 wheeler to for repairs. It had been overheating whenever we used it. I was able to get the water system fixed flushed and the oil changed as.

Friday morning we loaded up the 4 wheeler and headed West. We stopped in Kerrville to pick up the 2x6 decking from Lowes then continued on to Rocksprings. (pic 1)

When we got there we had to back the trailer down as close as we could, luck would have it that a portion of a pile of fence boards we have out there was in the way. We had to restack part of it, and in the process we encountered a small rattlesnake. The snake only had 2 rattles and a button, so we could barely hear it rattle and we were only two boards away from grabbing the board it was under. We dispatched him quickly and kept working.

Friday afternoon we worked on completing the framing. My neighbors crew built the porch cover and most of the framing for us, but we wanted to add a few gussets and do the railing to match the from deck railing. So we added gussets around the perimeter and installed the hand rails. I only had 2 sticks of bar for the cross members in the rail but we installed as much as we could. (Pic 2)

Saturday we installed the steps and painted all the lower sections of the framing. (pic3) After it dried we installed the 2x6 decking. (pics 4-6) We moved the outdoor dining table and the temporary grill up as well. (pics 7&8)

Saturday night we enjoyed grilled ribeye's and a few cold ones! Andy decided to sleep out on the new deck that evening, It was too cold for me so I slept in the cabin with the doors and windows closed. I think it is almost light jacket weather.

Sunday we were both sore as heck (sucks being old men doing young men work) We decided to just touch things up, cleaning up the piles of materials and such.

All in all I think we got a lot done. On opening weekend of bow season I will head out with my wife and one of her friends. I will hunt the mornings and work on the flooring in the cabin during the day.
                    Attached Files

Comment

That’s a nice set up you have built. Looks like a lot of fun

Comment

Love this thread, Great build!!

You're gonna love having the additional deck space.

Comment

Ok. I'm ready to come work for free just to see the views and enjoy the smell of the air

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                            Ok. I'm ready to come work for free just to see the views and enjoy the smell of the air

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Come on!!

Comment

nice!

Comment

I went to the ranch this past weekend with My wife, Andy and Erin.

On Friday we installed 3 new flags, 2 on the front entrance gates and 1 on the East side deck. (Pics 1-3) Then we worked on finishing the deck railing on the East deck. We cut the 5/8" rods and welded them in.. and painted them to match. (Pics 4-6)

On Saturday we got to work installing the new deck on the West side of the cabin. This deck extends the old deck out and adds a 12'x6' storage unit. we framed up the decking and storage unit and installed 5 13' 2x6 deck boards. We still need about 12 more 2x6's to get the deck done but since lumber is so scare right now 5 is all they had at Lowes (pics 13-15).

We then began installing the new laminate flooring. I choose to use 14mm thick laminate to make the floor that much more sturdy. We choose Grey to tie into the metal wainscoting. The installation we pretty straight forward and easy. We were able to get the entire Living room flooring installed on Saturday afternoon. (Pics 7,8)

On Sunday we finished the flooring in the Master and Spare bedrooms and installed the trim baseboards. (Pics 9-12) We brought in the full sized beds that will be placed in them as well so we now have a good beds to sleep on!!

We still have a ton of tools and materials in the cabin taking up space, so it is now a priority to get the storage unit skinned and dried in so we can move in the rest of the furniture. Things are moving fast, and time spent out there is getting more and more enjoyable.

I didn't get any hunting done this time out. Maybe next time. We will be going out again in 2 weeks.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X