Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
JFISHER
Pope & Young
 
JFISHER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brownwood
Hunt In: BWD
Default The beginnings?

1 down for the party of corruption... More to come I hope.


http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2018/...-texas-border/

Last edited by JFISHER; 02-04-2018 at 08:49 PM.
JFISHER is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 09:01 PM   #2
Lostacresranch
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFISHER View Post
1 down for the party of corruption... More to come I hope.


http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2018/...-texas-border/


Looks like he might miss that reelection bid...
Lostacresranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #3
Artos
Pope & Young
 
Artos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Deep South TX
Hunt In: Deep South TX
Default

Just another day in the Rio Grande Valley...love it down here. It's almost like being in the United States!!
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2018, 11:55 PM   #4
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young
 
ttaxidermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brazoria county
Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Just another day in the Rio Grande Valley...love it down here. It's almost like being in the United States!!
Yea from what I hear its really bad down there.. What a shame..
ttaxidermy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
Man
Pope & Young
 
Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Casper,Tx
Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Just another day in the Rio Grande Valley...love it down here. It's almost like being in the United States!!
What are the obvious differences?
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 06:39 PM   #6
Artos
Pope & Young
 
Artos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Deep South TX
Hunt In: Deep South TX
Default

It's home, but the border influences & her unique history is what it is...honestly, Deeps South Tx / Border country along the rio grande is different than the rest of the state, the same way far north Mexico / Border country is a little different than the interior of Mex. I'm talking mostly the blending of cultures along with the negative influences the narcotics & illegal trades bring to the area. NOT all are bad & actually wouldn't change certain aspects for all the $$$$ in the world, but you would have to have lived here to understand & I cannot explain it without writing a book I reckon.

I'm not sure what this cat did & will try to catch the local news as this is a pretty big deal & suspect major bribery obviously...let me put this way. We have had multiple Sheriffs from multiple counties end up in Federal Prison. This is the only place in the US where you spend $1mm dollars in election money for a position that pays $150k. Same could be said for district attny & county judge, etc. I bet you didn't know that basically the entire police force & city commission was taken down in Sullivan City some time ago. Hard to imagine it just so happens to be an area where they did not allow a wall because the wildlife corridor was too important??

This particular arrest & district represented is very interesting & do hope we get the rest of the story...remember, the media blackout is alive and well in deep south tx, just like it is in Mexico. The muscle down here doesn't like bad press as it is bad for biz & we are still one of the top 5 fastest growing areas in the nation. Getting too big for me really. If anything comes up off the radar, I'll follow up.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 06:50 PM   #7
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
It's home, but the border influences & her unique history is what it is...honestly, Deeps South Tx / Border country along the rio grande is different than the rest of the state, the same way far north Mexico / Border country is a little different than the interior of Mex. I'm talking mostly the blending of cultures along with the negative influences the narcotics & illegal trades bring to the area. NOT all are bad & actually wouldn't change certain aspects for all the $$$$ in the world, but you would have to have lived here to understand & I cannot explain it without writing a book I reckon.

I'm not sure what this cat did & will try to catch the local news as this is a pretty big deal & suspect major bribery obviously...let me put this way. We have had multiple Sheriffs from multiple counties end up in Federal Prison. This is the only place in the US where you spend $1mm dollars in election money for a position that pays $150k. Same could be said for district attny & county judge, etc. I bet you didn't know that basically the entire police force & city commission was taken down in Sullivan City some time ago. Hard to imagine it just so happens to be an area where they did not allow a wall because the wildlife corridor was too important??

This particular arrest & district represented is very interesting & do hope we get the rest of the story...remember, the media blackout is alive and well in deep south tx, just like it is in Mexico. The muscle down here doesn't like bad press as it is bad for biz & we are still one of the top 5 fastest growing areas in the nation. Getting too big for me really. If anything comes up off the radar, I'll follow up.
South Texas and border communities are different. The corruption is unheard of. Unique culture but it's not all roses and sunshine
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 07:28 PM   #8
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
SaltwaterSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

And apparently even going north up the river, it all changes again... The culture around Del Rio/Acuna is big industrial country for both sides of the river... that and the Air Force Base I guess is why it's different that the area from about Eagle Pass down to Laredo... NAFTA really made Acuna explode in size... and because of that, Del Rio grew a bunch too... The gubment grants during the Bush administration allowed the BP/DPS and other local law enforcement agencies to make the Del Rio sector a "Zero Tolerance Zone"... border crossings went from thousands/week to a few a month... Almost no issues with illegal crossings... didn't need a wall to do it either...

IF the wall is ever built and the additional resources put in to patrol and enforce it, the wall will be completely porous... If you're gonna have all those resources and people to patrol the wall, you don't need the dang wall... That's the one thing I am totally against that Trump is pushing... Don't disagree there's probably a need for a barrier/wall in some areas along the border, but it sure is not needed along the Rio Grande... We have the know-how and resources right now to shut that part of the border down...

OK, Rant over...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 08:14 PM   #9
Playa
Pope & Young
 
Playa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Coleman
Default

Saltwater, if we have the know how and resources, how come we have nearly 2 million illegals?
Playa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 08:22 PM   #10
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
And apparently even going north up the river, it all changes again... The culture around Del Rio/Acuna is big industrial country for both sides of the river... that and the Air Force Base I guess is why it's different that the area from about Eagle Pass down to Laredo... NAFTA really made Acuna explode in size... and because of that, Del Rio grew a bunch too... The gubment grants during the Bush administration allowed the BP/DPS and other local law enforcement agencies to make the Del Rio sector a "Zero Tolerance Zone"... border crossings went from thousands/week to a few a month... Almost no issues with illegal crossings... didn't need a wall to do it either...

IF the wall is ever built and the additional resources put in to patrol and enforce it, the wall will be completely porous... If you're gonna have all those resources and people to patrol the wall, you don't need the dang wall... That's the one thing I am totally against that Trump is pushing... Don't disagree there's probably a need for a barrier/wall in some areas along the border, but it sure is not needed along the Rio Grande... We have the know-how and resources right now to shut that part of the border down...

OK, Rant over...
I am not for that wall either, it aint gonna do nothing but cost us money. The gubment can control the borders if they really wanted to, with todays surveillance equipment and drones, but them folk in the gubment are much smarter.

You know 80% customers are of Hispanic descent, and once in a while the conversation turns toward the "wall". It actually makes me feel awkward to talk about it, because I dont want it and some of them get mad at me.

One guy even told me he voted for old pelo naranja. I told him I did too, but I aint gotta like him

Last edited by Radar; 02-05-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 08:45 PM   #11
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
SaltwaterSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
Saltwater, if we have the know how and resources, how come we have nearly 2 million illegals?
Got a lot more than 2 million... Almost 2 million just "kids" that are now "dreamers"... Other estimates are over 11 to 20 million for total count...

If the WHOLE border were patrolled like the Del Rio Sector was during the Bush years, they would shut it down for all intensive purposes... Trouble is the Del Rio Sector only covered lake Amistad down to about Quemado... When the heat was on in that area, they just went somewhere else to cross... If there were no easy access points, there'd be much less... If there was a wall, without the same additional people and resources, crossings would not be less, but more... a wall isn't going to stop anyone by itself... but, a zero tolerance policy will stop many, many more crossings than a wall ever will. In an ideal world where we have unlimited resources, we could have both... but we don't have the money for both... I'll choose the enforced border without a big wall over a big wall alone...

When the effort was begun in the Del Rio Sector, Val Verde County built a whole new high security jail between town and the Air Force Base... It was similar to what Sheriff Arpaio did... It was/is a very intimidating looking facility that looks like a modern version of a concentration camp... during the enforcement period, if ANY illegal was caught crossing, they were prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law plus a complete background check was done on all of them and they were prosecuted for every other thing that could be found... Minimum sentence was 6 months in a cinder block room... The illegals soon learned they didn't want any of that...

I assure you it would work IF it were done from El Paso to Brownsville...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 09:06 PM   #12
Charles
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Enforce current immigration laws and crossing will decline. Since Trump was elected, crossings are already way down.

The wall will help keep crossings down if we ever get another President that won't enforce immigration laws.

I'm not a huge fan of the wall but say strike while the irons hot.
Charles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 09:12 PM   #13
Artos
Pope & Young
 
Artos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Deep South TX
Hunt In: Deep South TX
Default

The wall will help, but tremendous expense...what we need is a complete overhaul on a path to citizenship to stop the big problem we have now.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2018, 10:15 PM   #14
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
SaltwaterSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
The wall will help, but tremendous expense...what we need is a complete overhaul on a path to citizenship to stop the big problem we have now.
Yessir, and we need to remove the incentive for them to come here in the first place... I'm OK with cheap labor... there's a need for it, but the free entitlements, free stuff all needs to be brought to a squeaking halt... Merit based immigration would sure help. All that is part of "comprehensive immigration reform" that needs to happen... Trouble is, when that phrase is used both sides jump right to amnesty... Just get the amnesty out of it and do the rest of it...

If we don't do something, and quickly the invasion of our country will be complete and will destroy our nation... We cannot keep allowing millions and millions of people to flood into our country and paying for their welfare... We're broke now and sooner or later it's gonna be time to pay the piper... illegal immigration is just making that time approach at break-neck speed.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 01:03 AM   #15
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young
 
Muddy Bud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Corpus Christi
Hunt In: Webb
Default

That and dual citizenship. I can't tell you how many people I worked with on land rigs with it that lived like kings in Mexico while enjoying a full time roughnecking job and full welfare benefits to boot. Pull up in a Denali while I was skimming diesel from the rig tanks to make it back home. Dang that crap used to **** me off.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 08:27 AM   #16
batmaninja
Ten Point
 
batmaninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Hunt In: Hill Country
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I am not for that wall either, it aint gonna do nothing but cost us money. The gubment can control the borders if they really wanted to, with todays surveillance equipment and drones, but them folk in the gubment are much smarter.
This is a picture of "the wall" near a place we hunt in Brownsville. Seems to me like it does a pretty good job of keeping people from crossing it and funneling folks to choke points that can be easily monitored. Surveillance equipment and drones arent free, that costs us money too. The current set up aint working, I am all for a change. I dont really care if that makes people mad at me
Attached Images
 
batmaninja is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 06:13 PM   #17
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmaninja View Post
This is a picture of "the wall" near a place we hunt in Brownsville. Seems to me like it does a pretty good job of keeping people from crossing it and funneling folks to choke points that can be easily monitored. Surveillance equipment and drones arent free, that costs us money too. The current set up aint working, I am all for a change. I dont really care if that makes people mad at me
Yes sir that wall looks fine and is probably working in that area. I think in the long run the wall will be a high maintenance headache. More than likely the next liberal president we get will tear the thing down anyway. I just thought electronic surveillance would do more than a wall. I am probably wrong as I have been most of my life, just ask my wife

I agree with you that the current set up does not work and that is our gubment at its finest. I dont know the right answer and I am sure the Mexican government is laughing its azz off at us now.

As far as people getting mad, well most of my customers and I get along real good. I have been doing business with most of them so long now that I sell tools to their children and grand kids. I have hunted, fished and worked with lots of them and I think highly of them. Been to weddings, funerals, graduations, Quinceañeras, parties and even reunión familiar. Yes sir I am white as a bar of Ivory but it dont make no never mind to me or them. I reckon you could say I dont want them to think bad of me and I want to keep it that way.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 06:39 PM   #18
Artos
Pope & Young
 
Artos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Deep South TX
Hunt In: Deep South TX
Default

There needs to be a vetting & progress system for those genuinely wanting to assimilate & become US citizens...right now, it is way too expensive & time consuming with numerous hurdles for the average person to conquer, so we create our own problem. It takes years & you have to have a job waiting for you at the end of it all & that is hard to accomplish. I know middle income folks from Mex who gave up on the process due to the BS it takes. But hey, if you are a rich middle eastern, come on in!! Think about it: How many pay a coyote a couple thousand dollars to get them across risking life and limb?? Why?? Because the current system is **** near impossible for them...many here don't care & think it should be uber difficult?? I don't get it.

Vette & monitor
Reasonable cost
Reasonable time frame
Must have job which is easier accomplished if it doesn't take years. Keeping employment a must.
NO Govt assistance allowed until your taxes put back in the system which should be an extended period.

Problem is if you ask for hard working people looking to make a better world for themselves to do what is reasonable to become a US civi...then you no longer have state dependents the Liberals want on the vote dole. We've just created the very people who take away their power base by making them responsible for their staying.

The current system favors the left & why you will never see a correct fix...again, we are our own worse enemy. We have created our own illegal problem because it is easier to sneak across & wait for amnesty vs a system that would vette / monitor / mold model citizens.

It's complicated & throwing my thoughts out...we simply will never fix the current problem the way it is now. THAT I KNOW!!


BTW...that wall in the pic runs from Brownsville all the way till: Sullivan City (see my previous post) Then pics back up going to La Joya. Don't tell me walls don't help & that one is no where expensive as the ones they are looking at now.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2018, 09:16 PM   #19
Charles
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

That's a big beautiful wall
Charles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 07:34 AM   #20
RiverRat1
Pope & Young
 
RiverRat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Leander
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Yessir, and we need to remove the incentive for them to come here in the first place... I'm OK with cheap labor... there's a need for it, but the free entitlements, free stuff all needs to be brought to a squeaking halt... Merit based immigration would sure help. All that is part of "comprehensive immigration reform" that needs to happen... Trouble is, when that phrase is used both sides jump right to amnesty... Just get the amnesty out of it and do the rest of it...

If we don't do something, and quickly the invasion of our country will be complete and will destroy our nation... We cannot keep allowing millions and millions of people to flood into our country and paying for their welfare... We're broke now and sooner or later it's gonna be time to pay the piper... illegal immigration is just making that time approach at break-neck speed.
If you want to get upset think about the future. At some point that most people can't fathom (but it will happen) we will run out of money. That's when YOU or I may actually need help and we won't get any. Our families will suffer due to the decades of giving it all away mostly to illegals.

And I believe at that point politicians will have the balls to say...You conservatives have always wanted to get rid of entitlements so now they're all gone! Right when those of us who worked for 30-60 years need help.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 08:06 AM   #21
Ironman
Pope & Young
 
Ironman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Wise County
Hunt In: Anywhere
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
If you want to get upset think about the future. At some point that most people can't fathom (but it will happen) we will run out of money. That's when YOU or I may actually need help and we won't get any. Our families will suffer due to the decades of giving it all away mostly to illegals.

And I believe at that point politicians will have the balls to say...You conservatives have always wanted to get rid of entitlements so now they're all gone! Right when those of us who worked for 30-60 years need help.
That would be a very, very dangerous time. A revolution if you will.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #22
batmaninja
Ten Point
 
batmaninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Hunt In: Hill Country
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I think in the long run the wall will be a high maintenance headache.
I agree with pretty much everything that you state, but this.

I just got back from Costa Rica, and really enjoy much of the southerners, especially their food and beers. Pretty much every building down and property down there has a high fence, topped with some sort of device meant to cut, be it barb wire or glass. Then there are bars on the doors and windows. I honestly dont understand why building a perimeter wall is offensive to anyone. As far as I can tell it is ingrained into the Latino culture.

Do you have a fence around your property, have a front door with a lock, or just pay a security company to send the cops to your place once a crime has occurred to file a report?
batmaninja is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #23
JFISHER
Pope & Young
 
JFISHER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brownwood
Hunt In: BWD
Default

What we need is a "wall" constructed from E-VERIFY!
JFISHER is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 11:57 AM   #24
Radar
Ten Point
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wilson County
Hunt In: Wilson County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFISHER View Post
What we need is a "wall" constructed from E-VERIFY!
I would agree with that.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 12:06 PM   #25
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
SaltwaterSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFISHER View Post
What we need is a "wall" constructed from E-VERIFY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I would agree with that.
Agreed, but only after it is fixed and becomes something that actually works!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 12:18 PM   #26
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young
 
muzzlebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Euless, Texas
Hunt In: Sterling County
Default

What we need is lots and lots of freshwater nile crocs, electric eels and piranha in the river. Maybe a couple million hungry gators too. Once they get across the river there ain't no stopping them. They'r like fire ants and spread faster than you can swat them off.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #27
Rubberdown
Eight Point
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Houston
Default

Everyone was so mad about introducing the canadian wolf to Montana and the decimation of elk there.... think of the repercussions of all these animals you are talking about.

Just Kidding by the way.
Rubberdown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com