When it rains it pours... and your wheels fall off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When it rains it pours... and your wheels fall off

So my dad lost his shop after having been there for 20 years. As you can imagine, he amassed countless piles of “stuff.” Being the good son, I’m helping him move said stuff to his farm in Brownwood. We loaded several trailers to haul down today. Unknown to me, I picked up a screw with my screw at the shop. I noticed my tire going down but figured I could make it to Stephenville from Crowley. No big deal. We trucking down 377 right outside of whiskey flats, and I notice the trailer in front of me smoking. Naturally, we pull over to check it out. The hub seized up on one wheel so we took it off and kept going. No big deal. Getting close to granbury, and my slow leak became a fast leak. Get it patched and back on the road an hour and a half later. Almost to Stephenville around 11 and one wheel on my trailer passes me in the bar ditch. I pull over, check the trailer, tighten up the straps on the stuff in the trailer and keep going. I thought I could limp the rest of the way to bwood. Almost to Early... I see the loan wheel on one side shaking on the trailer. Again I pull over to check it out and the lugs sheared off. So I’m sitting here waiting for some help perusing TBH thinking...Deer Season cannot get here soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate trailers, not sure why they always have tire, wheel and bearing issues.

Comment

Other people’s trailers seem great. It always seems like mine have all the issues

Comment

Good luck TBone. I love my trailers...if something needs fixed...I dont fool around...I drop the coin.

This reminds me of a convoy whilst on deployment in the Phillipines. 8hr convoy turned into 16hrs. 16 tractor trailers hauling our gear. Every hour one tt woild have a blow out. The best tire in the fleet was worse than any on any American TT. No Filipino TT had all lugs...most were 3-4 per tire.

Keep on keepin on TBone.

Comment

no spare? A good trailer spare may cost you a $100-200 but when you need it they are worth $1000s !! Sorry about your luck! sure hope it turns around for you!

Comment

Man it's not your day yet. Hope your luck changes soon. Good son helping out pops.

Comment

Where exactly are you. I'm in bwood and might could help

Comment

I’m in between blanket and early on 67 headed towards bwood. My dad just went to TSC looking for a wheel

Comment

I got the hub off and replaced the studs. Just need a wheel and tire to limp the rest of the way to the farm

Comment

12 hours later, finally made it to the farm

Comment

No good deed goes unpunished...........

Comment

Wow glad you made it. I learned along time ago to use GREAT grease and bearing buddy’s on every trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by trophyhunter01 View Post
                          I hate trailers, not sure why they always have tire, wheel and bearing issues.

That’s because you don’t do preventative maintenance.

I tow thousands of miles, and seldom ever have a trailer issue, unless I pick up a nail or something.

I pull the hubs, inspect everything, wash and then repack the bearings with high quality grease (HB550, extremely high quality grease). Replace the seal and dust cap, torque lug nuts properly.

While I’m at it, I check the spare.

Oh, another thing. Get your tires balanced. It drives me bananas to hear a bunch of mouth breathers insist that you don’t need to. Anything that rolls at highway speed, needs to be balanced. That will save the tires, bearings and suspension on your trailer.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Correct

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                            That’s because you don’t do preventative maintenance.

I tow thousands of miles, and seldom ever have a trailer issue, unless I pick up a nail or something.

I pull the hubs, inspect everything, wash and then repack the bearings with high quality grease (HB550, extremely high quality grease). Replace the seal and dust cap, torque lug nuts properly.

While I’m at it, I check the spare.

Oh, another thing. Get your tires balanced. It drives me bananas to hear a bunch of mouth breathers insist that you don’t need to. Anything that rolls at highway speed, needs to be balanced. That will save the tires, bearings and suspension on your trailer.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau
                            Maintenance is the key!

Comment

I have felt your pain. Had tire pass me on 59. Someone removed my lug nuts. While hauling a tractor and shredder.
                              Had a pipe trailer pass me in the 70s.

Comment

Working...
                              X