No announcement yet.

School Safety and my perspective!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I totally agree with saltwaterslick and tvc184. It is frightening what a "deranged person" can do if they plan well. There is not enough security in the world to stop them with a well thought out plan. I don't have the answer but I bet that a study on this perpetrator would point us in the right direction. Someone needs to figure out what is going on in these kids minds that makes them want to harm\kill others.

Comment

Older schools are not designed to be completely entry controlled. Some have many out buildings with no means of security. The school districts can’t afford to build new schools with a prison atmosphere.
      I pray for all those affected. I don’t know what the answer is. I put the blame on the parents. The lack of interaction. It gets me to go out to eat and see everyone at the table nose deep on their phone. You know if it is happening there, it’s the same at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
        I totally agree with saltwaterslick and tvc184. It is frightening what a "deranged person" can do if they plan well. There is not enough security in the world to stop them with a well thought out plan. I don't have the answer but I bet that a study on this perpetrator would point us in the right direction. Someone needs to figure out what is going on in these kids minds that makes them want to harm\kill others.

Figuring out why they want to kill people is easy. They all have a common denominator.
        No parental love and guidance
        Parents having Dr's put them on mind altering drugs
        Dr's agreeing to put them on drugs
        No discipline....ever.
        No spiritual guidance
        No interventions by family or school staff when signs are shown of inapproate behavior.
        In Florida's case policies in place to prevent lawful interventions
        Never being taught how to loose and that loosing is provides good learning opportunities
        Last edited by flywise; 05-19-2018, 06:13 AM.

Comment

School Safety and my perspective!

Originally posted by flywise View Post
          Figuring out why they want to kill people is easy. They all have a common denominator.

No parental love and guidance

Parents having Dr's put them on mind altering drugs

Dr's agreeing to put them on drugs

No discipline....ever.

Lets be real here. On a daily basis we keep guns, weapons and explosives out of sporting events, courthouses, airports and the like....get the idea. Why do we do this and why is it done successfully day in and day out? The answer is simple, it’s made a priority. We make it a priority to protect airline traffic, the motivation is monetary. We make it a point to protect our sporting events again the driving factor being monetary. We make it a priority to protect public assembly places such a courthouses where the motivation is political as well as self righteous.

However we do not take the same steps to protect our children? Why? The answer is simple protecting our children is NOT a Federal, State or even local priority. Thoughts and prayers aren’t keeping our kids safe it’s time for a wake up call. As a parent of a four and six year old I am seriously considering taking them out of the public school system unless there are some major proactive changes in the approaches being taken to make these schools safer. I’m simply not willing to play roulette with my children’s safety and well being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Will the parents of the shooter be held responsible? They should be arrested. As I stated on another thread, you should not be able to get away with the "we didn't know what he was up to" line. Parents need to be responsible for their kids actions. They should be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor and maybe murder. All I know is the shooter/murderer was not raised right. That is the problem. It's not a security issue. Nothing else will stop it, until the parents are prosecuted as well.

Comment

Fire Marshall will prevent schools from being one way in or out. Schools have many entry ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Cull hunter View Post
                Fire Marshall will prevent schools from being one way in or out. Schools have many entry ways.
                Yes but you either have to have a key or a school issued card to get in at most of the entrances. You can leave just by pushing the door open, but you cannot get to the inside without the above mentioned items. My school is like that. Thing is, the main entrance door has no key or key card way to get in, the lock is controlled from Central office or you are buzzed in by office staff.

I never said there is a way to stop anyone that wants to get in and do damage, but there are ways to slow or maybe even halt entrance to a school EXCEPT for what is mentioned above when kids are getting out of school or maybe changing classes going from the school to out buildings. I just gave my perspective from what I see on a daily basis and honestly, it is not enough!

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                  Lets be real here. On a daily basis we keep guns, weapons and explosives out of sporting events, courthouses, airports and the like....get the idea. Why do we do this and why is it done successfully day in and day out? The answer is simple, it’s made a priority. We make it a priority to protect airline traffic, the motivation is monetary. We make it a point to protect our sporting events again the driving factor being monetary. We make it a priority to protect public assembly places such a courthouses where the motivation is political as well as self righteous.

However we do not take the same steps to protect our children? Why? The answer is simple protecting our children is NOT a Federal, State or even local priority. Thoughts and prayers aren’t keeping our kids safe it’s time for a wake up call. As a parent of a four and six year old I am seriously considering taking them out of the public school system unless there are some major proactive changes in the approaches being taken to make these schools safer. I’m simply not willing to play roulette with my children’s safety and well being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  I have never thought about it in this way. I would have to agree 100%.

Comment

Schools have infinite amounts of "soft targets." From big yellow metal, rolling containers to awards assemblys and graduations. The idea of allowing parents in to view their childs successes is a constant concern or fear for those involved. Do we become a prison from 7:30-4:00.....no one in and no one out? Do we stop having public performances of any type, be it athletics, OAP, choir, band.....There is no 1 answer. A person that has reached the point of "I'm going to go shoot some people," is gone, period. Its too easy to accomplish their goal. And they dont need a gun. Their vehicle ramming a building or a bus full of kids could also accomplish much the same. School resource officers are well and good but what if the shooting is on the other side of the building, or they shoot them first. What if a teacher guardian is armed next door but her job is to protect her class, while an unarmed teacher's classroom next to her is being shot up. If a shooter wants into a building, they WILL get in. Its a shame what this world has come to and its 100% a parenting problem and a lack of coping skills that this generation is being taught (by their parents!)

Comment

Originally posted by 1RutNBuc View Post
                      Schools have infinite amounts of "soft targets." From big yellow metal, rolling containers to awards assemblys and graduations. The idea of allowing parents in to view their childs successes is a constant concern or fear for those involved. Do we become a prison from 7:30-4:00.....no one in and no one out? Do we stop having public performances of any type, be it athletics, OAP, choir, band.....There is no 1 answer. A person that has reached the point of "I'm going to go shoot some people," is gone, period. Its too easy to accomplish their goal. And they dont need a gun. Their vehicle ramming a building or a bus full of kids could also accomplish much the same. School resource officers are well and good but what if the shooting is on the other side of the building, or they shoot them first. What if a teacher guardian is armed next door but her job is to protect her class, while an unarmed teacher's classroom next to her is being shot up. If a shooter wants into a building, they WILL get in. Its a shame what this world has come to and its 100% a parenting problem and a lack of coping skills that this generation is being taught (by their parents!)
                      So you believe there is nothing that needs to be done. Blame it on the parenting skills and sit back until the next shooting? No ideas?

Having armed retired/ ex- leo/military guards at all entrances ( narrowed down based on size of campus ) and cc teachers. Stagger start and stop times to avoid bottlenecks. There are tons of things that can be done that are not being used right now. Most of these can be done at almost zero cost. Heck, issue service cards to the volunteers so they pay zero taxes on anything. Tons of options.... better than doing nothing. It may or may not stop the next shooting......but doing nothing won't either.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                        Yes but you either have to have a key or a school issued card to get in at most of the entrances. You can leave just by pushing the door open, but you cannot get to the inside without the above mentioned items. My school is like that. Thing is, the main entrance door has no key or key card way to get in, the lock is controlled from Central office or you are buzzed in by office staff.

I never said there is a way to stop anyone that wants to get in and do damage, but there are ways to slow or maybe even halt entrance to a school EXCEPT for what is mentioned above when kids are getting out of school or maybe changing classes going from the school to out buildings. I just gave my perspective from what I see on a daily basis and honestly, it is not enough!
                        Agreed. High schools are what I am referring to. Multiple buildings. Multiple entrances and exits.

Comment

Something needs to be done. Lots of redesigning and rebuilding.

Comment

There is no way to actually stop “every” deranged person from doing what they plan to do.
                            Making schools as safe as Federal facilities is a good start. However, like others have mentioned above.....someone waits until school gets out and then causes havoc. Part of the problem we have as a Nation is that murderers can live out their lives in prison...or get 25years or less. Death Row.....what a joke. They still live ten to fifteen more years and some are never put to death. There are so many variables and so many different discussions to be had. Gun control needs to be a discussion. However, there is no way to stop a kid that gets guns from their own household. They will find a way to get them no matter what. Yes, the Parents need to be held responsible. Too many people getting away with bad stuff in the USA. This was way to close to home. The Friends we have in Santa Fe were fortunate that their children were ok. Sad situation.

Comment

My boys elementary has multiple doors but entry is only allowed through the main front door. Checkin is mandatory. I enjoy seeing a Police Officer there near the entrance.

I believe more police presence is needed everywhere...all schools. One officer at every point of entry...all day...everyday. Increasing Police presence is one of the few crime deterring tactics that has statistically been proven to work....however...hard to stop all crazies.

I feel your frustration Mudslinger.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                                Thank you very much.

I have seen so many answers on so many forums. A metal detector or an armed officer or retired vets or whatever will stop this.

Really?

I just watched a video of the "safest school in America" in Indiana. It has smoke bombs and video cameras in the hallways and bulletproof classroom doors. They show an armed intruder (actor) enter the school with a rifle between classes and he can't do anything as it is locked down during class periods and the smoke keeps him from seeing 2 feet in from of his face. Of course they didn't show what would happen if he waited until class lets out at the end of a period and kids all rush out of class into the hallway to get to their next class, all the kids would now be trapped in the smoke and the shooter could just pump rounds downrange at kids that now can't get away.

No wait, a shooter wouldn't think of that..............

Sorry folks, I think we can spend millions at each school and not solve a dedicated person that has time to plan. I would love to hear some great answers but don't think I have heard them yet. I do think we can minimize injuries by some suggestions but stop it?
                                I tend to agree, in fact my wife and I discussed this same scenario (the parking lot or busses) a few weeks ago, ......BUT we still need to do something other than throw our hands up and capitulate. Personally, I would rather my tax dollars went to armed security, metal detectors, etc.. than astro turf. Nothing is a 100% solution to this, but there is something better than what we are currently doing. We just need to try and find it.

Comment

Working...
                                X