A Missed Opportunity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Missed Opportunity

I started hunting a couple years ago with a crossbow. At the beginning of this year, I got my first compound bow. Well, the lease I'm on is convenient (which is good with one toddler and another on the way), but it is not target rich. Anyways, I have struggled to get my first compound hog or even my first shot at a hog.

On Saturday night, I made my way out to the lease. Right at dusk, a bog boar came in but was really skittish and left within seconds. I alternated sits between two different locations on the lease. Well, at about 1:30am on Sunday morning, I am back in the spot where the boar had come in. I was sitting in that ground blind looking out the one open window and either the same big boar or another one came in and stuck around long enough for me to get a shot off. He was skittish and he ran off a few times before settling in to eat, but eventually settled down enough for a perfect broadside shot.

I drew back, anchored, had the twenty pin just above his heart and let the arrow fly. I thought it was weird he just ran off and didn't make any noise. Waiting fifteen minutes before exiting the ground blind was a tall order, but I didn't hear him drop so I wanted to give him some time. The adrenaline was pumping.

Eventually, I look down at the timer I had set, and see it is time to get the flashlight out and track this big boy down. I walk over to the spot where he was, and no blood. I find the arrow, no blood and no hair. I missed the big boar at twenty yards entirely. I will absolutely never forget the moment I accepted I missed.

I had been practicing at night. I even shot the night before sitting down, to most closely resemble the conditions I would be hunting in. I wasn't Robin-hooding bulls-eyes, but I was in the kill-zone consistently.

I have to say my confidence level is pretty shot. I know it happens, but I have been hunting my lease for a a year, waiting for one of the big ones to come in, and once one of them finally does, I didn't connect.

I shot my bow last night, and I was shooting terribly. Being a newer hunter, I am open to learning, and other circles have taught me the value of growing up in public, so I'm putting this out there for whatever you got: encouragement, similar stories, tough love, ridicule....whatever you got. I can take what I like and leave the rest.

We've all been there...

it's part of hunting, especially bow hunting. Keep practicing! In time it will come!

Comment

Any who haven't missed, ain't shot much ! Don't let it bother you, get back on the horse and keep on trying. I've never hunted pigs at night with a bow, but I imagine it's not too easy. I know I've shot my bow several times by the truck headlights just to verify before getting in a blind to antelope hunt, and it wasn't like shooting in the daytime. Hogs can be tough even in daylight, seems they never stop completely still. Good luck !

Comment

If you haven't missed, you've never taken a shot.
        practice practice practice and even then.. theres still chances to miss..

good write up though.. thanks for sharing

Comment

Slow down, and keep shooting you'll work it out

Comment

You mentioned you've been hunting it for a year... how new is your string? That's alot of time for moisture and temperature to affect your string. I have an older bow that drove me to get a crossbow for now until I can get a nicer bow, as it just fluctuated alot with environment in a shorter than expected time. I'd notice my string was stretching just a hair differently on shots, and didn't feel right. Other than that consistency is key, practice it constantly.

Comment

Chin up! If someone tells you they've never missed, then they haven't been hunting very long. It happens, even to the best of em. Best way is to practice and have a short term memory. That big hog is still out there, so he needs a dirt nap!

Comment

Sounds like you have the right attitude. This is the good thing about hunting hogs. It definitely makes you a better bow hunter for a lot of reasons. And no, bow hunting hogs is no slam dunk by any means. They are plenty smart and the prime target area is pretty small. Keep hunting them this summer. It will make you a better deer hunter. When you are in the stand and you know hogs are coming in, do nothing. Don't move, don't grab your bow, don't fumble for your light. Just sit very quietly and listen. And when they do show, slow your breathing and start counting backwards from 100....slowly. Once you've calmed down and the hogs are on the corn, start making your move. They don't hear that well and durn sure don't see that good so you can prepare for the shot as long as you don't bugger them in the process. Keep after it, you'll punch one or two soon enough. Good luck! KAP!

Comment

It's bow hunting lol. You've beat yourself up enough, this miss was the first of many if you stick with it. With that said it'll eventually all come together and when it does, there's nothing like it!! Keep your chin up and get back out there!! Just a bump in the road.

Comment

Do you think you shot low or maybe the arrow hit something. You found the arrow right, if it was near where he was standing you most likely shot low. Really can't hardly shoot a hog to low unless you shoot to low and miss. Hope this helps Tom.....lol

Do you have any lights on your feeder?

Comment

Tom, I've got a 55gl free feeder if you want to set it up. It keeps the hogs locked on to your area.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Thumper; 07-05-2017, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Chris, I think I shot too low and missed entirely. I appreciate the feeder offer. I am keeping them there as much as I can afford to right now with a spin feeder and a roll barrel. I actually just plugged up all but one hold in the 55 gallon roll barrel to make it last longer. Lots of pics of hogs over the past few weeks, lots of corn in their bellies too.

As for the lighting: I am just using a bow light right now. I have thought about getting a better light for the feeder that is motion sensor activated (like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XAIZ6BW...=1CCOY419ZK7LI). There is just so much I want to buy, but recently corn has been about the only thing in my hunting budget.

Comment

Missing happens.

On a better note, be glad you missed entirly. For all the hog now knows is that there was a funny sound. He'll be back. He's a pig. And you have food for him. Listen for him to flap his ears before entering the shooting/feeding area. It soulnds kinda like a dog flapping it's ears. Lone boars will do that to both clear they're ears so they can hear better. And to let other boars know "Hey I'm over here. And I might come in. So if anybody is in there, better get out or get ready to fight."

Being jumpy/skiddish is part of how they get big. About the only time I ever see big boars in a group is when they are checking or tending sows. Sometimes you might find a pair. Or a little one that a big one will let hang around. But not often. But after they get so big, the general split off and become loners.

Good luck on get-n him. And keep at it. He'll make a mistake. And you will achieve your goal.

Comment

Might try a solar light at the feeder. They're $10 at Walmart and burn until about 3am..

The free feeders do burn up a lot of corn. To offset this you can just fill them a week before the full moon and hunt it for a couple weeks.

Comment

It is REALLY easy to miss at night - been there, done that! You have to concentrate on a specific target spot and totally focus on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X