Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A couple of tractor-driving questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of tractor-driving questions...

Having recently learned to drive a tractor and shred, I have a couple questions...
    1) I've developed a habit of driving with the batwings (shredder) in the "up" position to avoid limbs, gates, etc. What's advised? Does this cause any undue wear and tear on the shredder (hinges, etc.)??
    2) When lowering the batwings, should I "ease" them down, because even lowering with care they seem to bang into position...
    3)When not shredding and on level, familiar ranch roads, may I increase my speed to make travel more efficient?? Into the upper gears like C....??

Thanks for the advice gents....

i wouldnt travel in a high gear on a ranch road, i have a mahindra and usually stay in 1st high driving around then lo gears while working as far the that batwings ive never worked with a hyrualic shredder but im sure leaving is up is not good for the hydrualics..... im not expect or anything but hope that helped a little im sure more people will give you their imput

Comment

Leaving the wings up will NOT hurt anything, but DO NOT turn the PTO on. A lot of bat wings bang when you let them down. Everything on a shredder will hurt or kill you, be safe.

Comment

As long as you are not shreding with the wings up it should not be a problem.

Comment

as others have said- just dont turn the PTO on with wings up and dont even try to raise them until blades have completely stopped turning.

If roads are smooth and you have enough tractor sure you can run faster. If its hard on tranny down shift or if you have a high and low, try low 5th or whatever highest gear in low... Usually a little faster than high first.

Comment

What kind of tractor do you have and what kind of shredder?? Do you have a 3 way valve set up so that each wing is controlled by one lever??? That banging is usually from a shredder set up incorrectly due to using only 2 outlets on the tractor instead of the 3 way seperate system.

Comment

As others have said leaving wings up for travel is no problem. If roads are smooth run as fast as you are comfortable driving. Thats why they have a "road gear"

Comment

Working...
              X