SHNF and Davy Crockett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SHNF and Davy Crockett

So I'm looking at hunting one or both next year. They both are few hours from me. I was wanting to take my family, but wondering if it is worth it. I hunt public land already so I know about hunting pressure but I don't want to see a wall of orange when the sun comes up.

I know bow season in Sam can be busy but not the craziness some folks make it out to be. I hunted the bow opener in Sam this year and only saw one other truck on the forest road. Shoot a little spike for the freezer and was home by 11:00. Go check it out!

Comment

Either one won’t be too bad. If you draw a circle around camp grounds or blocks of timber close to highways, avoid them. I’ve hunted the DC four years straight now and I’ve only encountered other hunters while hunting twice. Had someone walk up on me then turn and leave, and I walked upon someone once, they were only about 100 yards off a main road however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sam isn't too bad. There's plenty of room to find a spot without other hunters. It helps to scout an area beforehand though.

Comment

Where are you traveling from op?

Comment

Don't leave out the Angelina National Forest. Some good deer in there also.

Comment

I will be coming from the Waco area. It sounds about like the public land I hunt already, everybody is pretty close to access points. I'm kinda worried about rifles on public. Everything I hunt is bow only. I haven't looked at Angelina National Forrest yet.

Comment

Sabine National Forest - is pretty good form what I've heard

Comment

I drive thru Sam everyday on the way to work...maybe 20-25 miles of public land road front and I think if I see 3 or 4 trucks parked a day that would be about average. I don't often go early in the morning or return late in the evening on the weekends though so take that for what its worth.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                    Don't leave out the Angelina National Forest. Some good deer in there also.
                    I don’t think we have many deer in the ANF.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. This season aint over yet and I'm thinking about next year. It might be a long off season..

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                        I don’t think we have many deer in the ANF.
                        Yep there’s no deer in the Angelina NF

Comment

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
                          I know bow season in Sam can be busy but not the craziness some folks make it out to be. I hunted the bow opener in Sam this year and only saw one other truck on the forest road. Shoot a little spike for the freezer and was home by 11:00. Go check it out!
                          West side or east?

Comment

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
                            West side or east?

Comment

Originally posted by BuckTrail View Post
                              West side or east?
                              I hunt the East side.

Comment

Working...
                              X