No announcement yet.

Old fridge smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks like a nice “vintage” refrigerator that with a little tlc would be valuable to an antique dealer. We go to the Round Top Antique Fair several times per year and see things like this at premium prices. Just a suggestion.

If you are smoking link sausage you want cold smoke. I probably tried every way possible to get smoke until landed on the Amaz-N products pellet smoke tray. Fill it with pellets of your choice and it will burn for 12 hours and give good cold smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
      That looks like a nice “vintage” refrigerator that with a little tlc would be valuable to an antique dealer. We go to the Round Top Antique Fair several times per year and see things like this at premium prices. Just a suggestion.

If you are smoking link sausage you want cold smoke. I probably tried every way possible to get smoke until landed on the Amaz-N products pellet smoke tray. Fill it with pellets of your choice and it will burn for 12 hours and give good cold smoke.
      It is old and more than likely worth more in its current condition and as a smoker. But fact is.....I’m not likely to take it anywhere I could get a good price for it.
      I will look into the smoke tray. And I appreciate the input

Comment

I saw a video the other day of a guy cooking chickens in a 4 drawer filing cabinet. I have no doubt a refrigerator will work.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
          Why just cold smoke? You still need to get the sausage cooked. I do use the Amaz-N tray for all my smoking needs. Burning from one end I get close to 10 hours of smoke and if I want to double the smoke just start from both ends. Works great!

I took the controls off my electric plate and mounted them outside the unit that way I wouldn't lose any heat by opening the door to adjust the burner

Comment

Originally posted by WildThings View Post
            Why just cold smoke? You still need to get the sausage cooked.

Because cold smoking ensures that the first cook and freshest cook is right before you eat each link. Otherwise if you bring 100lbs or 400 lbs like we cold smoke, of sausage to temp, you'd be packaging and freezing 100-400 lbs of leftovers technically.. There's a a reason the Bohunks cold smoke their sausage unless they sell it commercially where they have to bring it to temp.

Great idea flywise. That'll be a nice smokehouse..

Comment

Thanks Smart, I know you and your crew do a smoke a ton. When cold smoking should I try and keep my temp down to 100 or less?

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                I saw a video the other day of a guy cooking chickens in a 4 drawer filing cabinet. I have no doubt a refrigerator will work.
                saw that too, and was immediately worried about the fumes coming off the metal when exposed to heat and getting into the chickens

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                  Thanks Smart, I know you and your crew do a smoke a ton. When cold smoking should I try and keep my temp down to 100 or less?

As low as you can and still keep it smoking. That's why we shoot to do it on blue norther days. They are low humidity and cold/cool temps. We like Jan/Feb/and Early march for our big deer sausage weekend

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                    Seen quite a few discussions on this site about cold smoking if you dig deep enough. Also Go to BBQ-brethren.com. Good bunch of guys and there is a wealth of info on cold smoking

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      As low as you can and still keep it smoking. That's why we shoot to do it on blue norther days. They are low humidity and cold/cool temps. We like Jan/Feb/and Early march for our big deer sausage weekend
                      Appreciate the advice

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
                        Seen quite a few discussions on this site about cold smoking if you dig deep enough. Also Go to BBQ-brethren.com. Good bunch of guys and there is a wealth of info on cold smoking
                        I’ll check out that site

Comment

In for this one! Also agree on the 'bohonk' cold smoke comments. KJ

Comment

I made one 35 years ago just like you are trying to do. Made great ribs, briskets, and smoked a lot of sausage in it!
                            Get you a very small and cheap hot plate. It will heat up fast in that old ice box and the heat will stay in. Control the temp with something like this:

You may find a better controller but this is what I saw first. Just plug the controller in and set it. Plug you hot plate into the controller. For smoke, just put some wood chunks on the hot plate.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                              I made one 35 years ago just like you are trying to do. Made great ribs, briskets, and smoked a lot of sausage in it!
                              Get you a very small and cheap hot plate. It will heat up fast in that old ice box and the heat will stay in. Control the temp with something like this:

You may find a better controller but this is what I saw first. Just plug the controller in and set it. Plug you hot plate into the controller. For smoke, just put some wood chunks on the hot plate.
                              Thank for the link, I had not thought about a controller. I was just going to use my element from my old electric smoker that runs 220degrees. But i believe this box being insulated a controller would probably be a must

Comment

I will tell you this. I set my hot plate on low. Once it gets hot, it will stay hot. I put an old skillet on mine to put the wood in.

Comment

Working...
                                X