No announcement yet.

What type of oats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed oats are under $10 a bag and do just fine.....$40 a bag is a lot higher

Comment

So what is the real difference between seed oats and feed oats?

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
        Feed oats are under $10 a bag and do just fine.....$40 a bag is a lot higher
        X2 Just cheap regular whole oats

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
          Feed oats tend to have a low germination rate. Im most likely going with certified bob oats this year. Theyre about $3 a bag more and guaranteed germination.

Comment

I have drilled BFO side by side with seed oats and feed oats. BFO seems to be slightly more preferred when fertilized the same, but it wasn't so much that I would buy them again. Listening to one of the actual owners of BFO led me to believe they do select for cold tolerance as well as preference. I plant seed oats, and went with Bob this year to go along with Elbon rye planted at 50lbs per acre per forage, so a total of 100lbs/acre drilled.

My real experience with seed oats vs feed oats shows that seed oats grow shorter and closer to the ground, producing more tillers versus one major stem. Based on my results, the seed oats stay palatable much longer than feed oats do and are definitely preferred over feed oats when they have gotten some mature growth. This makes a difference if you are planting bigger fields that don't get hammered from day 1. If you are planting a 1/4 acre, I would imagine the deer would keep either oat mowed down enough that it wouldn't matter. I used to mix 50/50 feed oats and seed oats to keep my prices down, but the feed oats were not being grazed after about the first month or two, therefore I plant all seed oats now.

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
              Feed oats tend to have a low germination rate. Im most likely going with certified bob oats this year. Theyre about $3 a bag more and guaranteed germination.

And you're getting those at Ranchland?

Comment

And you're getting those at Ranchland?
                No. From Ag mart in bwood. Havent called Ranchland yet to see what they have. Im working my bwood place first and Ag mart is down the road. Will be calling Ranchland tomm for our mills county place.

Comment

Brandon- this is a great read on the difference.

As for Buck Forage, I know we purchased that one year & never purchased it again. It was good seed but wasn't 4 times as good. I know seed gets expensive but after the tractor, fuel & labor (your time) costs, I would try to get the most guaranteed seed you can afford. The seed is the cheap part of the equation! For what it is worth, this is what we use.
                  Attached Files

Comment

We use the spike oats from tractor supply and they are outstanding. High yield and the deer love them. Not as high as buck forage.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Might try the PlotSpike oats.

Comment

If you are going to have that local farm plant for you, why don't you run some side by side and tell us how they do?

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexun View Post
                          If you are going to have that local farm plant for you, why don't you run some side by side and tell us how they do?
                          Well it looks like that might not happen so we are going to plant at least 10 acres ourself

Comment

I planted a biologic mix, regular oats, then BFO in three parts of a 1 acre hunting plot. The deer would walk through the other stuff to get to BFO. Just my personal experience.

Comment

How much do you think seed oats are if I found feed oats for $9.65 a bag?

Comment

Well it looks like that might not happen so we are going to plant at least 10 acres ourself
                                Gotcha. You can still plant a few different varieties to test and you might be surprised at what the deer prefer in your area. That is how I determined what worked the best for me and what just looked good.

Comment

Working...
                                X