Zoysia grass problems - need advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zoysia grass problems - need advice!

Im struggling with a section of my lawn and I'm hoping one of you lawn/grass gurus can tell me what's going on and how to treat it!

I grew this section of the yard from Zosia seed (Pennington's Zenith Zoysia) when we first built the house and it's always been a nice dark green. Last summer, at the end of the summer, I started seeing some of this yellowing in the same area. It's not the Zoysia yellowing but some other grass (or grass like plant) that's invaded. This year the area has grown about 2.5X what I had last year. Here are some pix of the whole area, a closeup photo of this yellow invader and a shot of the yellow invader mixed in with some Zoysia grass and runners:

This is my nemesis:

Here's the yellow invader mixed in with the healthy dark green Zoysia and you can see some Zoysia runners if you look close:

Can anyone identify what this yellow plant is and what I can do to kill it and get my Zoysia lawn back? Just out of view is a large section of Zoysia pallet grass we planted and I DURN sure don't want the new grass to get invaded!!!

One other note- the sprinkler that waters the new Zoysia turf/pallet grass we planted is also getting onto this area of yellowing. I can't imagine this is the problem as the pallet grass (a different species of Zoysia) is doing fantastic; and it's so hot that 20 minutes of watering 2x a day doesn't seem excessive at all.

So, what do you yard experts think??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to tell, but I think i'm looking at nutsedge. If so, Image will kill it.

Comment

I see nut grass also

Comment

Looks like my St Augustine. It is a fungus.

After a fungus hits it, weeds begin to grow in this stressed area

Comment

Can you get a pic looking
          Down at the blade tip? If triangular it will be nutsedge

Comment

I'm not seeing two different species of grass, definitely not seeing nut sedge. First I'd check my soil pH and nutrients, typically the yellowing is caused by lack of Fe or too high of a soil pH. One other note, it's difficult to ID grasses without an inflorescence, so everything I said may be completely invalid

And you need to sharpen your blades......

Comment

I'm hoping it's nutsedge as I've got some image for the dang sand burs. Maybe I'll try spraying it on that whole area.

Originally posted by gingib View Post
              Looks like my St Augustine. It is a fungus.

After a fungus hits it, weeds begin to grow in this stressed area

It's definitely not St Augustine. We hollowed out the yard out of south Texas brush and we're a long way from anyone with st. Augustine planted. I planted every bit of grass so there's no way for St. Augustine to get to us.

If a fungus hit I would think it would be more widespread? This patch is only about 10yds by 4yards (roughly) out of about 2.5-3 acres of 'yard'(mixture of Zoysia, Bermuda & Jiggs grass) on our property. Would a fungus hit a be that isolated? Hard to imagine; but I'm no expert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't see any nut sedge but not sure what is going on there.

Comment

Man I hope you're able to figure out what's going on and get it fixed. With all these grass question threads I'm beginning to wonder if keeping up a lawn isn't just a big waste of time. I had a large section of my lawn I had to tear out because grubs got it.

Comment

Send a pic to Neil Sperry on facebook. he'll respond with his educated assessment.

Comment

I remember him mentioning this about zoysia

Comment

Easy test for nutsedge . Is the scourge invaders stalk a triangle?

Comment

Working...
                        X