No announcement yet.

Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the check station guys ask ya'll every time you called to check out if you saw anything? You could tell they were really hoping that we would have done better. They seemed like some real good guys out there.

Comment

They didn't ask when I called to check out. I did tell them that I saw a bunch of bucks but no does.

Comment

I agree that the staff were all super nice. I'll try again next year for sure.

My lesson learned for next year is to set up a stand or two in heavy cover. I think that there are LOTS of animals there, but they're not used to seeing people. We glassed quite a bit and hunted the edges Friday/ Saturday/ Sunday. Never saw a single deer or hog in the open, but there was so much fresh sign. I think that as soon as the trucks moved in, everything went deep into the woods. Hard to say what the pattern might be, as it was so hot and dry.

I did pass on turkey Sunday evening. By the time I could get a clear shot, they were already beginning to roost. I had to sneak right by their roost on the way back to the truck.

Comment

I hunted heavy cover with my bow Friday night and Saturday morning, still didn't see anything. I think it was the weather more than anything. I think they were nocturnal with all the heat.

Comment

anyone put in for Balcones this year?

Comment

I put in and hoping I get picked since I struck out on the TPWD draw.

Comment

I did, keeping fingers crossed.

Comment

Any of you guys receive notification one way or the other?

Comment

Originally posted by clark98ut View Post
                    Any of you guys receive notification one way or the other?
                    no notification yet but checked online and I apparently got picked for unit 7 for december 6-8

Comment

Mine is showing Hunt Zone 3 for Dec 13-15, which if that's correct is awesome. Unit 3 is about 8 miles from my front door and this year, that date is open season, no doe first requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                        no notification yet but checked online and I apparently got picked for unit 7 for december 6-8
                        How did you check online?

Comment

My house is on the fenceline of this place I drive by the outer fencline about 7 miles every day for over a year and have yet to see a deer there

Comment

Originally posted by Falling View Post
                            How did you check online?
                            i applied online and they give you a confirmation number and a link to check status of app starting the day after the deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by ATXRaider83 View Post
                              My house is on the fenceline of this place I drive by the outer fencline about 7 miles every day for over a year and have yet to see a deer there
                              i have hunted there twice and seen deer each time.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                                i applied online and they give you a confirmation number and a link to check status of app starting the day after the deadline.

What was the name of that email?
                                --never-mind I think i deleted it doh!
                                Last edited by Falling; 09-21-2013, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X