No announcement yet.

Official Davy Crockett 2016-17 national forest hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still would have loved a shot at a buck like that!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I went up and set out some cams- only had some smaller trash bucks on them.

Comment

W

Comment

Good morning everyone! New to the forum, but have been hunting DC for around 14 years from tree climber. I plan out taking my 3 year old this year and hunt out of a ground blind for the 1st time and was wandering if anyone has done it and if you have any pointers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Addict-To-Racks View Post
            Good morning everyone! New to the forum, but have been hunting DC for around 14 years from tree climber. I plan out taking my 3 year old this year and hunt out of a ground blind for the 1st time and was wandering if anyone has done it and if you have any pointers.

1.Take something quiet for them to do.
            2. Take Snacks
            3. Have fun
            4. Do not plan to be out long.
            5. Do not plan on seeing much.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
              1.Take something quiet for them to do.
              2. Take Snacks
              3. Have fun
              4. Do not plan to be out long.
              5. Do not plan on seeing much.
              X2

Keep your boy entertained, if he wants to go for a walk, walk. If he wants to roast marshmallows, roast them. I followed my first blood trail at 24 months on that forest floor (dad says it was like a red carpet and maybe only 35 yards) though I don't remember it I have pictures. So be sure to take pictures. And don't get too wrapped up in the hunt itself. All in all make it enjoyable

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
                X2

Keep your boy entertained, if he wants to go for a walk, walk. If he wants to roast marshmallows, roast them. I followed my first blood trail at 24 months on that forest floor (dad says it was like a red carpet and maybe only 35 yards) though I don't remember it I have pictures. So be sure to take pictures. And don't get too wrapped up in the hunt itself. All in all make it enjoyable

Haha, thank you guys for the advice. I don't plan on seeing much. He is a firecracker that doesn't like to sit still, but I have been working with him. I have so many memories of hunting with my dad and uncles whether we saw anything or not!

I don't have much experience blind hunting, do you guys suggest setting it up a day or 2 ahead of time?

Comment

Haha, thank you guys for the advice. I don't plan on seeing much. He is a firecracker that doesn't like to sit still, but I have been working with him. I have so many memories of hunting with my dad and uncles whether we saw anything or not!

I don't have much experience blind hunting, do you guys suggest setting it up a day or 2 ahead of time?

Just pick a good spot and brush it in scent free as possible. I've never hunted public land from a ground blind. Always used a climber. But I'm sure you could make it work one way or another

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
                    Just pick a good spot and brush it in scent free as possible. I've never hunted public land from a ground blind. Always used a climber. But I'm sure you could make it work one way or another

Always used a climber myself also. When he gets a little older I will get a 2 person lean in ladder stand for us.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Comment

It takes the deer about a month to really get used to one. They freak out about the dark "Eyes" most of all. Find a "Hole" and brush them in well.

I used to just find a yaupon thicket and just hollow out a blind inside them. That way it was natural and sat year round..

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                        It takes the deer about a month to really get used to one. They freak out about the dark "Eyes" most of all. Find a "Hole" and brush them in well.

I used to just find a yaupon thicket and just hollow out a blind inside them. That way it was natural and sat year round..
                        Yes sir that's what I have always heard about blind hunting. Probably will take the deer in DC 2 months to get used to 1 lol.

I have some young pines around where I plan on hunting also, I think I will go down there this weekend and build a enclosed natural blind with fallen trees. I have some camo mesh that I can stretch tight to eliminate the dark spots.

Comment

Some good humor in this thread.

Nice deer too!

Comment

Well setup a camera on the "ground" scrapes [emoji23]had pics of some young bucks and couple groups of does and one nice lil 8pt

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                              Some good humor in this thread.

Nice deer too!
                              True! Its there if you look for it.

Comment

What's it Take to come hunt with you gar guy? If you don't know it already read everything he writes . A true veteran deer slayer .

Comment

Working...
                                X