Grasshoppers in Food Plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grasshoppers in Food Plot

I have thousands of small grasshoppers in my pea and soy bean food plot. Is there anything I can spray to kill the hoppers that won't effect the deer?

listening here, hope things work out, Dam grass hoppers

Comment

Yes, spray in turkeys. They love grass hoppers.

Comment

Seven dust will kill them and not affect them.

Comment

Dust it with flour it will choke the hoppers

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. Not sure what I will do at this point. I just don't want to see a healthy food plot get destroyed by insects.

Comment

Be sure to catch enough of the little savages for a good fishing trip before you eradicate.

Comment

That's what I like to hear!!! Should have a few good quail hatches this year with the rain and bugs they should do good

Comment

There will be too many of them that will fill in once you kill the ones that are there. Grasshoppers are something we will just have to deal with (for now).

Comment

How big is the food plot?

You should be able to go to a feed store and get something.

Comment

Grasshoppers don't start eating plant vegetation until they reach a length of about 1 inch to 1 1/2. To better utilize your spray wait until they grow to that stage.

Comment

The food plot is one acre so it would be easy to spray. I'll wait until the grashoppers are bigger before I try anything. Thanks for the tip KG68. If I end up trying something, I"ll let y'all know what it was and how it worked.

Comment

Nolo bait

http://www.biconet.com/biocontrol/nolo.html

Comment

I ended up talking to a buddy that has a farm and he suggested to use Bayer Complete Insect Killer. I walked into the local hardware store and asked the lawn and garden associate what the best bet would be as far as a spray to kill grasshoppers. He walked me directly to the same stuff that my buddy suggested. I fugured two different people suggesting the same brand, it would not hurt to try it.

The lawn and graden guy suggested to spray the outside perimeter of the food plot and then work my way in. I bought enough to spray this weekend and again in 3 to 4 weeks. I ended up spraying 30 gallons on the food plot yesterday and will do it again in a few weeks as a follow up.

I don't think this would be the way to go for larger food plots as it would get expensive, but for smaller plots 1 acre and under, it might just work.

My food plot is a small clearing inside a thick post oak wood lot so I'm hoping that I can kill off the majority of the grasshopper and not have to worry about a new batch moving in. Time will tell if it works or not. I'll update in a few weeks after my next visit to the farm.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Spray.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	24309374
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Food Plot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	24309375

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                              Yes, spray in turkeys. They love grass hoppers.
                              lol beat me to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X