$4100 to run 200a to my shop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a new ( to me ) CNC lathe. Knew I would need more power. Right now I have been running the mill off 125a coming from my home service. But this machine needs 200a by itself. I figured it would cost a bit, but once they asked if it was commercial I knew I was screwed. $4100 to run 200a 230'. That hurts. Does that sound right? I could do a pedestal for $3500 but then have to run 220' of my own wire. ( thats $1000 even if I run aluminum )
    Geez, gunna have to sell a kidney.

Lathe and a couple mills in my shop as well. The Co-op here charges $2500 for a 300' or less stretch but then you got get the drop, meter loop, etc. in so that's around another grand. Sounds a touch on the high side but not absurdly out of range. That shouldn't be classified as commercial should it?

Comment

Don’t put the aluminum underground if that’s what you were thinking.

Comment

Must be a pretty good size lathe?

Comment

Originally posted by eaglegolfj View Post
          Don’t put the aluminum underground if that’s what you were thinking.
          Why not just curious?
          Last edited by dclifton; 02-23-2018, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Cost is relative

Depends on how extensive the upgrades are.

There’s no problem using aluminum for feeder conductor, so long as you follow proper procedures. We do it all the time with no negative results. You will have to go up inn conductor size, and conduit size compared to copper, but most of the time there is still a significant savings on materials.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
              Bought a new ( to me ) CNC lathe. Knew I would need more power. Right now I have been running the mill off 125a coming from my home service. But this machine needs 200a by itself. I figured it would cost a bit, but once they asked if it was commercial I knew I was screwed. $4100 to run 200a 230'. That hurts. Does that sound right? I could do a pedestal for $3500 but then have to run 220' of my own wire. ( thats $1000 even if I run aluminum )
              Geez, gunna have to sell a kidney.
              200 amp lathe and they had to ask if its commercial? Do you mean 220 volt lathe? If your getting a quote to run 220V / 200 amp service 230 feet, $4100 is cheap. Is it single or 3 phase?
              Last edited by bakin7005; 02-23-2018, 03:45 PM.

Comment

I am self employed, the machine is for business use. Yes, it is a big one, part of the issue is that its 3 phase but out here we only have single phase so I run a converter. Going from 1 to 3 phase bumps single phase amerage draw by 1.73. Its 116a 3 phase.

Comment

200/220v 116a flc ( 3 phase ) 44kva

Comment

Dang. Definitely not your garage handyman smithy lathe! Whatever you do...if you need it to last at least 5-10 years dont use direct burial aluminum especially if there is any rocks in your soil. You may consider getting them to run overhead to a pole near the shop but that wont be much cheaper.

Comment

I paid 3000 to run 200a 170' to mine

Comment

And thats not including the pole, meter box etc. ( if I dont have them set a pedestal ) I built the pole myself last time, but will see how much a premade one costs this morning.

Comment

You could turn the pole on your lathe... Oh wait. Dang.

Comment

When we had power put on our place, for a 400A service, we got the first 400’ of overhead free. After that it was like $11/ft and $200 per pole if I recall.

Underground was about $15/ft I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Price doesn’t sound off to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X