turkey hunt early season vs late season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turkey hunt early season vs late season

looks like we may be heading back to bosque cty this spring. 2014 we hunted the last weekend of april, killed a tom but it was only because we intercepted him. 2015 we hunted mid-april, had no luck getting toms to come in but the kids did manage a couple jakes. this year I have the opportunity to go opening weekend. I know weather can play a role, but am I wrong in thinking the opener is better than the other times of the year? hunting pressure in the area is low to non-existant.

Go early......period!! Season should start 2 weeks earlier everywhere in my opinion! Toms were breeding hens here two weeks ago.

Comment

Get on 'em quick.

Comment

I was wondering the same thing

Comment

In central Texas, later used to be better. Seems like over the last decade, it has moved earlier and earlier. Earlier is better now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh yeah, have seen the big Toms on the prowl since last week in south texas

Comment

I hate the middle of the season. But I like the end of the season, the last 10 days or so. Birds are still hot, but most of the hens are on nests, can make for some hot and easy birds.

Comment

I have always had the best hunting early. I wish the season opened up a week or two earlier myself.

They are breeding here I am sure. These were from the past few days.

Comment

Early.

Comment

With the Temps this year it might be a struggle I've seen a bunch of birds trailing hens already. I took off the whole first week going to get after them

Comment

In north Texas it seems they are nearly done when the season starts.

Comment

I am headed down to Goliad county to my buddy's place the 23rd hoping early in the season will be better than it was last year, when I went late in the season.

Comment

Get on them early, soon as they with hens get tougher. Later can be OK when hens are nesting, the Tom's will be looking still

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Already seeing them breeding as other have mentioned. Open day I plan to be on them. Last year they slacked off at my place late I the season. Early part of season they were everywhere and very vocal.

Comment

Early is better. After mid April it gets hard to get them to gobble and come in. Early in the season, you better be ready when you start calling because they will run in sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                              X