Archery Elk hunting help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Archery Elk hunting help?

I will be going on my first elk hunt in September. I plan on taking my bow to Fred at "The Bow Shop" in the next month or so. I was wondering if or what changes I should expect to make? This will be a private land hunt in New Mexico. I have been instructed to be able to shoot comfortably up to 50yds. My current setup is for whitetail. Mathews DXT 70lbs draw. Arrows are Easton Axis 400 5mm. Broad head is slick trick magnum 100 grain. Honestly not sure on what fps I'm shooting....... My setup is deadly up to 30 yds right now on whitetail. Anything further I haven't attempted. I'm obviously going to have to practice practice and then practice some more at longer distances. As far as gear what changes do you recommend? I will also be getting a backup bow setup for the trip. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I wouldn't change anything g with the setup. Just start practicing out to 60 yards. Keep in mind elk have a larger kill zone and are not as skittish as whitetail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't change a thing. That setup will kill any elk deader than dead.

If you are comfortable with it I would practice out as far as you can....even more than 50. Practice with the broadheads to make sure they will hit true at long distances.

Comment

I've killed quiet a few elk. Only one with a compound, the rest with a longbow. Not one single one of them were 50 yards. Your set up is just fine, although a heavier arrow wouldn't hurt.

Comment

I agree with the others, your setup is just fine (including broadheads). I also suggest jogging 50 yards and then shoot. Practice this over and over...

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
            I will be going on my first elk hunt in September. I plan on taking my bow to Fred at "The Bow Shop" in the next month or so. I was wondering if or what changes I should expect to make? This will be a private land hunt in New Mexico. I have been instructed to be able to shoot comfortably up to 50yds. My current setup is for whitetail. Mathews DXT 70lbs draw. Arrows are Easton Axis 400 5mm. Broad head is slick trick magnum 100 grain. Honestly not sure on what fps I'm shooting....... My setup is deadly up to 30 yds right now on whitetail. Anything further I haven't attempted. I'm obviously going to have to practice practice and then practice some more at longer distances. As far as gear what changes do you recommend? I will also be getting a backup bow setup for the trip. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Just curious what your draw length is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
              Just curious what your draw length is

29"

Comment

Is that arrow spine correct?

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
                  29"

Just curious bc I have almost the same setup in a 27.5 draw

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ace View Post
                    Is that arrow spine correct?
                    330-370 according to chart. I've honestly never paid any attention to that before.

Comment

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
                      I agree with the others, your setup is just fine (including broadheads). I also suggest jogging 50 yards and then shoot. Practice this over and over...
                      This...more likely then not you will be shooting after moving to get into position.

Comment

As soon as you shoot, put another arrow on the string and get ready for another shot.

I made a bad 40 yard shot on a bull. It ran towards me and stood broadside at 10 yards for a couple seconds. Of course I wasn't ready to shoot a second arrow. It turned and ran as I was coming back to full draw for the second shot. Needless to say I lost it.

Comment

Your setup is fine. Practice at 60 yards until 20 yards feels like point blank range.

Comment

Do you have a place to practice? Bexar shooting complex in Marion has a range out to 50. I went twice a week all last year getting ready for my mule deer hunt. Good place and you'll likely have the range all to yourself.

Comment

What's your total arrow weight?

Comment

Working...
                              X