Wildlife Photographers chime in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wildlife Photographers chime in

Question for you guys and gals. When your in the bow stand at close range, how do the deer typically react to the sound of the shutter on the camera?

My stand is a box stand I'll be hunting from, its 25 yards from the feeder. I am hoping to grow my photography skills.

You might try posting this (or having a moderator move this) over to the Photography forum.

Comment

Originally posted by sweldo73 View Post
      You might try posting this (or having a moderator move this) over to the Photography forum.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...splay.php?f=34
      Oops, I thought I was in the photography section.

Comment

I've only had a couple hear it, they stared me down but didn't blow out of there. Really depends on how skittish the deer are in your area. Where I hunt it doesn't seem to bother them much but a long telephoto helps if you can photo them at a little distance.

Comment

My Nikon has a Quiet Shutter Release Mode that reduced mirror noise. You might check your manual to see if you have something similar. Also, a cloth draped over the body seems to help.

Comment

I've had a deer at 10 yards completely ignore the sound and some at 40 yards lose their minds. There are a lot of factors that come into play such as wind, ambient noise and animal temperament.

I've actually considered a towel or similar around the body of the camera to quieten things but so far I've not tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by sportsman View Post
              Question for you guys and gals. When your in the bow stand at close range, how do the deer typically react to the sound of the shutter on the camera?

My stand is a box stand I'll be hunting from, its 25 yards from the feeder. I am hoping to grow my photography skills.
              They look, they see nothing (since ninjas are invisible), and they keep eating.

Comment

Like Casey said, some do and some don't. I've always thought about trying to invent a insulated case of sorts that you could put your camera in like an otterbox deal to quieten it down....

Comment

Ttt

Comment

I have those mittens that when folded back your finger tips are exposed. I thought they helped but the shutter still turned some heads at 25 yards.
                    The only reason I had mittens on was that it was cold.
                    Otherwise, the camera can be pretty slippery with gloves.
                    Was much closer to some pronghorn a couple of years ago and they could have cared less.
                    Last edited by Bluesman; 01-03-2016, 02:36 PM.

Comment

I use a Canon 6D and they can start hearing it at 20-25 yards in silent mode, more if it's dead still. On my camera the mirror is louder that the shutter so if a deer gets to close I'll swap over to live view to quiet it down some more. I've tried wrapping a towel around the camera and it helps a lot but it's hard to keep the viewfinder open. I plan on sewing a cover for it when I get the time. You can also do a search for "camera sound blimp", commercial ones cost $$$ but I have seen homebrews made with a pelican case that were quite effective but bulky.

Comment

Working...
                      X